Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is probably going to seem like a really dumb question. I have had my Borrego for 2 1/2 years now, and bought it brand new. Along with the normal key fob for locking/unlocking and the key, it has a white plastic chip that I have to swipe over an area under the steering wheel to get the car to do anything. It won't start or even allow electronics to work until I swipe it. My question is, is the something the dealer put on? There is nothing in the owners manual about it, and it just seems odd that this would be a factory installed thing. The reason I can't just take it to the dealer is because I am in the military stationed overseas, and they do not have these cars here so they don't know. Does anyone else's Borrego have this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
212 Posts
Yes, it is something the dealer installed for extra $$$. I had my dealer disable mine and when I requested them to remove it, they really got annoyed. They said I could pay to have it removed to the tune of $350. I choose to leave it disabled. I still have the key card thin in my car just in case it ever goes crazy and turns itself on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea how they disabled it? I'm wondering if I can just snip the wires and it will still be good. Thanks for your reply. By the way, where did you get yours? I got mine at the Kia Store in Elizabethtown.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
212 Posts
No, do not snip the wires. Assuming it is like mine, it will render the vehicle inoperable. It is wired in with the ignition switch.

I can't remember how I did it but it was really, really simple. Something like holding it on the sensor for 10 seconds. But I can't remember. Sorry I am only did it the one time. I would Google it and or call the dealership. My dealership told me right away and like I said, it was easy so I could do this myself.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
248 Posts
Amazing to hear that these things still exist.. If you'd like to remove it, you'll have to a bit of the dash apart. Remove the lower panel below the steering column and follow all the aftermarket wiring. You'll eventually find a location where the factory ignition and starter wiring has been cut and essentially "looped" through the aftermarket immobilizer.

Cut it all out and reconnect all the factory wiring by matching the colors. This will bring the vehicle back to stock condition and it should start and run properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts