Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally figured out why my flashdrive was getting the reading error. It seems you cannot just copy and paste songs uploaded to I-Tunes because it renders them into mp4 instead of mp3 files. So, after making this discovery I went and bought a brand new Centon 16GB flashdrive and starting ripping cd's all over again. Now when I load the flashdrive the songs are found and it starts playing. The new problem is that after a few songs it just stops playing and the only way to get it to work is to unplug it and plug it back in. It also freezes and wont play if I attempt to scan to a different folder or try to skip ahead to the next song. Anyone have any good work arounds to this issue or is the brand I bought not compatible with the soul. I looked online and could not find any info on that.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
would be helpful if we had details on what you are driving, by filling out the DRIVES profile on the left and also location helps too, as this is a worldwide forum and vehicles are necessary equipped the same from country to country - thanks.

Did changing the .mp4 extension change to .mp3 extension work, as I suggested on the other thread? What compression do you use when you convert it to mp3?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul EX Energy edition, 2.0 L, 6 sp Auto.
67 Posts
Have you tried just load about a dozen or so songs first before "loading" up the flash drive?

Maybe it is a particular song that could be causing a problem?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
Some thoughts...
re-format the flash-drive using FAT16 instead of FAT32 or NTFS.
When you start formating (using Windows OS) by default it formats with their NTFS format.. before you click the [FORMAT] button select how you want the card/stick formated.

MOST USB devices (radio,GPS,Car Cameras,etc) use a small version of Linux or WIndows "moble"... as their operating system and they do not understand NTFS/Fat32/Ext formating. This will cause the errors you are experiencing...

Another "problem" I personally found was that "cheap" memory-sticks may say they are say "16GB" and will show that amount when queried but in actuality are smaller in size (say 8GB )... When you try to "load" up the media with songs...when you exceed the actual size...you will see the music files above the actual size (say 8gb) displayed..but the music file really does not really exist on the stick...only the directory of the file name is on it. The "Chinese" are known for doing that...

Try formating the stick and copying a bunch of files on it until it runs out of memory on your computer...then go back and read those files to see if they actually exist...

After formating your "old" stick put say 10 songs on it and see if they ALL will play...
Dave

BTW...
Music from Apple's site is M4P not MP4..
You can't rename M4P files (ipod format) to mp3 and then play them on just any player.

The Apple extension is copy protected and can't be read unless there is a protection "key" that matches the owner and the file found on the computer... An Apple program will read and play a renamed M4P file because it "sees" that it really is an M4P file even if it's extension says MP3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all.....I tried all the suggestions and I am thinking that the Centon brand just does not like the Soul sound system because I found an old SanDisk 2GB flashdrive, ripped 4 cd's do it and it plays just fine. No lockups and no freezing so I am going to go buy an 8GB and try that to start with. Sucks about the m4p format because I have bought a shit load of songs from I-Tunes and now I can't play them on the flashdrive but I can still burn them to CD.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
Burn them to a CD R/W and THEN rip them back to MP3... As long as you are the OWNER of the M4P files you can "burn" them to CD.. If you use a R/W CD to burn them nothing is lost (Useless CD)... MP3 ripping programs don't care about the files "past life" as a M4P file... Takes more effort/steps but you can get your music from M4P (if you own the file).

btw... did you try to format the Centon with FAT16 and then copy your MP3s onto it?
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts