Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a heads-up for DIYers that Kia/Hyundai have blessed us once again with another oil filter part number revision. The previous filter part number 26300 35504 has been superseded by # 26300 35505. I had purchased a 35504 filter from the same dealership on 2/19/2019, so this latest revision took place sometime within the past 3 months.

Now in most cases, changes to an oil filter would not be any big deal. However, this is the Theta oil filter, and anything having to do with that engine immediately becomes a suspect IMO. There is of course no reliable information available telling us what changes were made to the filter. And much more importantly, was any change made to correct a problem with the prior filter version, and which was somehow contributing to the Theta engine failures? Probably not, but the continuing silence from the automakers on the Theta engine failures causes the imagination to run wild. And if they did correct an important manufacturing or design defect in the filter, what are the chances they would ever voluntarily admit to that fact? (Hint: a number starting with the letter Z)

So should anyone having a supply of the prior version filters throw them away, and use the new one instead? I expect that most DIYers will just use up any old filters they already have, and not be concerned about it. Probably fine, but ..............

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's possible they changed only construction material like different filter media or rubber/silicon ring without affecting filter function e.g. valve spring rate or oil flow rate.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible they changed only construction material like different filter media or rubber/silicon ring without affecting filter function e.g. valve spring rate or oil flow rate.
Yes, what you're saying is certainly a possibility, and one would expect all of the filter manufacturers to be making ongoing improvements to their products.

However, IMO it's reasonable to assume that any non-significant changes should not require a part number change. Just make the change(s), continue to use the pre-change stock, and then seamlessly start to use the new parts when the old ones are gone.

Changing to a new part number suggests that the old one should no longer be used. The wording in the parts catalog typically reads "is superseded by". Now I don't know what the instructions to the dealers from the mothership were, but it would be interesting and probably quite revealing to know if the parts guys were told to throw away all of the 35504 filters, and immediately start using 35505. I'm wishing now I had asked that questing when I bought my filter.

As I wrote previously, if this didn't involve the Theta engine, it wouldn't even cause a ripple. But everything related to those engines brings intense scrutiny, and I don't think that's going to end anytime soon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd be interested to know as well. Still have 6-7 of 35504 filters that I started using before I ran out of 35503 which I also have a few (2 or 3) left.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts