Discussion Starter #41
Another take...........

Reactions: DS2

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Murano SV FWD, 2014 BMW X5 50i
23 Posts
Another take...........

Very nice to see there's plenty of cargo room with 3rd row folded! He also said it handles a bit better than Santa Fe - interesting to check that out in person when they will finally appear on dealers lots in US/Canada.

I've been comparing Sorento Hybrid with Highlander Hybrid, both with captain's chairs in 2nd row and both with saddle brown interior - they both look very good! Both Hybrids, both can have AWD, both have 35mpg+ (probably Sorento wins a bit here), both look good (again Sorento wins here too imho, but I do realize looks are subjective of course), both are reliable (maybe Highlander will have slight edge in resale value, but recent Kia models appear to hold value very nicely too). Where I start seeing differences are: interior (Kia wins here, more modern design and I suspect more legroom in 3rd row), technology (Kia wins here too - offers more options like full LED gauge cluster, wireless AA/CP (HiHy has only USB based AA/CP). So it looks like clear win for Kia! However, I did find couple things where HiHy has an edge: 1 extra seat in 3rd row (it technically has 3 belts and can seat 3 kids, but it's going to be very tight of course) and more cargo space with 3rd row up (with both rows down Kia rehabilitates itself, but with 3rd row up - unfortunately cargo space is very limited indeed). So those are the only 2 cons I was able to find so far. To be honest this should only bother those who constantly drives 6 people WITH luggage, so probably not very many people going to be affected by it.
I'm still opting for Sorento Hybrid and can't wait until it will be officially announced for US/Canada.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First vlog of Sorento 2.2 diesel accident repair - ouch! But for some reason it's satisfying to watch it get repaired and repainted like new again. I mainly watched to see some parts, under the hood design bits, they also took front door panel off and it seems like indeed Kia has very good quality, a lot of soft plastic where needed and insulation - I'm happy with that.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The only Highlander advantages I see are the rear camera rear view mirror if you drive with the rear window obstructed and maybe larger cargo space with the 3rd row up.

I will drive with at least part of the 3rd row (if not all) down. Rare I will have 5 or 6 occupants.

The Sorento has a much nicer, more modern interior and exterior features, better fuel economy, a better warranty and will be thousands of $$$ cheaper for the top grade model.

Hate those stick on Toyota tailights......

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only Highlander advantages I see are the rear camera rear view mirror if you drive with the rear window obstructed and maybe larger cargo space with the 3rd row up.

I will drive with at least part of the 3rd row (if not all) down. Rare I will have 5 or 6 occupants.

The Sorento has a much nicer, more modern interior and exterior features, better fuel economy, a better warranty and will be thousands of $$$ cheaper for the top grade model.

Hate those stick on Toyota tailights......
I agree. You are right I forgot the price difference in top trims it should be another advantage for Sorento. And in worst case scenario for the money saved, one can also purchase roof rack Thule box or bike rack if needed for occasional needs.
I wonder if Sorento will have tow hitch? Haven't seen yet on Korean YT videos, but I'm sure it will have. Same thing with spare tire, they don't have one in Korea, but I heard 2 reviewers specifically said that North American models of Sorento will have spare tire by default.

P.S. I also saw LCD touch screens infotainment system for 2nd row seats - I wonder if that will be available for US/Canada market - as it might be yet another option that is not available on Highlander Hybrid?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Info on another video for a diesel, 3 row, AWD?

Headroom
- 39.49/39.29/36.3"

Legroom: 44.09/39.41/31.69"

Shoulder room: 59.09/57.99/52.8"

Cargo Volume: 73.0/38.0/11.3 Ft3

Weight: 4,096 lbs.

Another Sorento feature that may not be on the Toyota...sliding, 2nd row, reclining captain chairs with multi position armrests...

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Info on another video for a diesel, 3 row, AWD?

Headroom
- 39.5/39.3/36.3"

Legroom: 44.1/39.4/31.7"

Shoulder room: 59.1/58/52.8"

Cargo Volume: 73.0/38.0/11 Ft3

Weight: 4,096 lbs.

Another Sorento feature that may not be on the Toyota...sliding, 2nd row, reclining captain chairs with multi position armrests...
Thee numbers I entered , are for the 2020 Sorento, not the 2021, as I discovered when I entered into a spreadsheet......bad info youtube video.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Diesel vs Hybrid 0-62:

Hybrid wins! 0-62 in 8.45 sec! However, if we convert it to 0-60 (you need to subtract 0.2 sec) - we'll get 8.25 sec! Which is fast enough for me and on par with Highlander Hybrid. I'm satisfied that Sorento Hybrid is sufficient for a family SUV. Yay!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
More details....

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
A boring drive but 45.57 mpg in mixed traffic for the hybrid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A boring drive but 45.57 mpg in mixed traffic for the hybrid.

Yes, it's a very fuel efficient car for city no doubt. And it's kinda quiet too, surprisingly EV mode was on for a lot of period, even at higher speeds often. Even if we count in some 20% (I'm taking higher value on purpose) disparity between what computer mpg shows on cluster and what pump display will say during refueling - it's still amazing fuel efficiency for city 37+ mpg! considering he had A/C on and even did some 0-60 test etc - that's really great!

I can't wait it to finally get tested in US/Canada by reviewers. It's August tomorrow, hopefully in September we'll start seeing some first drive reviews from youtube reviewers.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My Kia Niro mpg computer is within .2 mpg of actual over it's 21,000 mile life...

Reactions: DS2 and EVdan

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes, it's a very fuel efficient car for city no doubt. And it's kinda quiet too, surprisingly EV mode was on for a lot of period, even at higher speeds often. Even if we count in some 20% (I'm taking higher value on purpose) disparity between what computer mpg shows on cluster and what pump display will say during refueling - it's still amazing fuel efficiency for city 37+ mpg! considering he had A/C on and even did some 0-60 test etc - that's really great!

I can't wait it to finally get tested in US/Canada by reviewers. It's August tomorrow, hopefully in September we'll start seeing some first drive reviews from youtube reviewers.
Diesel vs Hybrid 0-62:

Hybrid wins! 0-62 in 8.45 sec! However, if we convert it to 0-60 (you need to subtract 0.2 sec) - we'll get 8.25 sec! Which is fast enough for me and on par with Highlander Hybrid. I'm satisfied that Sorento Hybrid is sufficient for a family SUV. Yay!
I would question whether these runs were done in Eco or Sport mode.. I'v never time checked my Niro in either mode but I use Sport mode up to 20 mph as needed or shift to Sport mode when slow speed passing.....A hell of a Seat of the pants difference with the two program differences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was curious if anyone found a YouTube review of base trim of Sorento or at least not the top trim? I am thinking majority of people will buy middle trim to get best bang for the money.
I actually went to Kia dealership and checked a new K5 in base trim and to be honest I really liked the quality of cloth seats! I might even consider them in Sorento. I have experience with cloth seats previously and I have fond memories of it.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Every country has different model content/names.

We won't know until Kia makes a USA announcement or the Sales Brochure is released.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts