1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Reactions: DS2

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Murano SV FWD, 2014 BMW X5 50i
23 Posts
2 mpg trip results......62.57 mpg for 38.84 miles and 41.87 mpg for 169.7 miles

Yes, fuel efficiency of this Hybrid powertrain is amazing. I'm sure it will beat 35mpg of Highlander Hybrid. However, 0-60 time of about 9.5sec from that video makes me sad. I was hoping it would at least match Highlander Hybrid's 8.2sec given that they have almost same horsepower (230 vs 243) and the fact that Sorento has noticeably more torque (175lbft vs 248lbft). But unfortunately it looks like Kia focused on efficiency more than on dynamics. I'm still not giving up, will wait for confirmation from other reviews. It's just I don't feel safe taking family in a car that needs 9.5sec to match highway speeds. Some ramps are short and you don't have that much time - this is active safety imho it has to be at least adequate. I drove leased Nissan Sentra that has similar 0-60 and it was just not safe in many situations.
This might push me towards PHEV Sorento that will have more powerful electric motor.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, fuel efficiency of this Hybrid powertrain is amazing. I'm sure it will beat 35mpg of Highlander Hybrid. However, 0-60 time of about 9.5sec from that video makes me sad. I was hoping it would at least match Highlander Hybrid's 8.2sec given that they have almost same horsepower (230 vs 243) and the fact that Sorento has noticeably more torque (175lbft vs 248lbft). But unfortunately it looks like Kia focused on efficiency more than on dynamics. I'm still not giving up, will wait for confirmation from other reviews. It's just I don't feel safe taking family in a car that needs 9.5sec to match highway speeds. Some ramps are short and you don't have that much time - this is active safety imho it has to be at least adequate. I drove leased Nissan Sentra that has similar 0-60 and it was just not safe in many situations.
This might push me towards PHEV Sorento that will have more powerful electric motor.

The acceleration video was for the Korean diesel..................

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
23 Posts
The acceleration video was for the Korean diesel..................
Oh, you are right! That’s good news!
The video you posted shows 0-100 in km (which is 0-62) in 8.95sec but 0-60 is usually 0.2sec faster, so then 0-60 should be 8.75 sec. In addition it was raining and person changed lanes during acceleration. So that means it might be a bit faster on dry pavement and straight line. So there’s hope it might be 8.5sec which is already adequate and very close to Highlander Hybrid 8.2sec.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You must be pretty young if you think 8-9 sec is dangerously slow.

55 years ago, a V8 sports car could only 6.5 sec and sedans were far slower........

·
Registered
23 Posts
You must be pretty young if you think 8-9 sec is dangerously slow.

55 years ago, a V8 sports car could only 6.5 sec and sedans were far slower........
I'm 42yo. I don't think 8 sec is slow, but 10sec is slow to me. I feel like there's a border range when car gets dangerously inadequate. Nowadays IMHO it's about 9sec or so. Any higher than that and in some situations it might require planning ahead and/or you will have to change your driving style to keep up with traffic and stay safe on roads. For last 6 months I found myself in at least two or three situations when I had to put pedal to the metal in order to safely finish my maneuver. One time it was in the middle of intersection in busy traffic while I was waiting to turn left and waiting for green light to start turn yellow and oncoming traffic to finally let me turn left. When it finally happened I had to floor it to move away from intersection quickly as a next wave of cars just started accelerating like crazy and they don't always care about you still stuck in the middle. This is when 0-30mph comes handy. Literally I was able to barely finish maneuver with cars approaching me fast. Slow my car down even by 1sec during that critical maneuver and I'll be a lot more uncomfortable if not even to the edge of accident. I never street race or anything like that. I need adequate car with 0-60 sufficient to not worry about situations like that.
Another example is highway road to work. I travel everyday from rural area 20 miles to city center. During rural highway portion (1 lane each way) we almost always get at least couple slow moving tractors at 25-30mph and you have to pass them. This is when 30-60mph matters. If I can pass tractor in let's say 5sec from 30-60 - that's relatively safe and you can do it safely. However, if your car requires 8sec to pass from 30-60 - that suddenly becomes much more dangerous and you really need to plan ahead - like wait for a long straight road that might not come in next 7-10 miles. Once again this is critical to everyday normal safe driving and has nothing to do with speeding, racing etc.
Now add to that when you have family with you, 3-4 more people in the back with some bags and car does bog down and your average 8sec 0-60 becomes 11 or 12 sec - this is when that extra reserve of power becomes very important. If we were talking about usual V6 with normal nowadays 290hp, I would be very confident and would not even question car dynamics. However, with mild Hybrids both Toyota and Kia love - you get 230hp total output and let's be honest it's very moderate (I would even say I wished they gave us a bit more reserve power) for a mid-size 7 seater SUV. This is why I personally care a lot for 0-60. For safe family travel with comfortable cruising and some power in reserve for any unexpected situation you might come into.
55 years ago I wouldn't even question 9 sec. That was more than enough back then, I agree. However, nowadays when average dynamics increased, one needs to keep up to stay safe.
I traveled in Toyota Prius with 13sec 0-60, but with 4 people it was more like 16sec, we went from AZ to NM. I can't tell you how many times I was reading silent prayers to stay alive. after we arrived to destination, I told my wife we are never ever going in that car anywhere again.
Maybe I'm too cautious, but for me adequate power for a family car is one of top priorities along with fuel efficiency, spaciousness, overall design (exterior and interior cabin) and tech/safety options. New Sorento hits all of them nicely, except I'm still not sure about "adequate power". I'm hoping it's enough and Sorento Hybrid will not disappoint.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yawn.......we (well you sure didn't) were passing cars on 2 lane roads 55 years ago also...........

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those Diesel rims are better looking imho than 5 spoke rims for Hybrid. I hope Kia will bring them to US/Canada too. It seems that saddle brown is a popular color in top trim. It does look good and lightens the cabin. I wonder if steering wheel leather will hold wear - at least outer edge is black leather.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I like the Sorento Interior better than the new Santa Fe but like the exterior of the Santa Fe better than the Sorento (except for the fact that the Santa Fe has NO driving/fog lights)..

I'll buy one or the other (hybrid) when they appear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the Sorento Interior better than the new Santa Fe but like the exterior of the Santa Fe better than the Sorento (except for the fact that the Santa Fe has NO driving/fog lights)..

I'll buy one or the other (hybrid) when they appear.
I think you are not the only one. I like Sorento interior and Santa Fe exterior too. I think Sorento really got much more interesting interior over Santa Fe interior which I feel Hyundai got lazy and just reused Palisade interior cues, without creating completely new interior like Kia did.
Exterior wise I like Santa Fe front grill better, it just looks more luxurious than Sorento’s edgy design. I’m torn and not sure which one to buy. Of course if they will have powertrain or size differences then choice will be easy, but if they’ll offer same size, powertrain and options - it will be a hard choice to chose between exterior and interior design.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think you are not the only one. I like Sorento interior and Santa Fe exterior too. I think Sorento really got much more interesting interior over Santa Fe interior which I feel Hyundai got lazy and just reused Palisade interior cues, without creating completely new interior like Kia did.
Exterior wise I like Santa Fe front grill better, it just looks more luxurious than Sorento’s edgy design. I’m torn and not sure which one to buy. Of course if they will have powertrain or size differences then choice will be easy, but if they’ll offer same size, powertrain and options - it will be a hard choice to chose between exterior and interior design.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. hate interiors where the NAvVunit looks like it was an afterthought and just stuck on to the top of the dash!!!!

I am posting latest Sante Fe info to the Santa Fee forum.

New Santa Fe youtube video to be live in about 6 hours.....

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Another Youtube video on the Hybrid 2WD.

Gas mileage at a steady 56 mph = 59-70 mpg
Gas mileage at a steady 70 mph = 35-40 mpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another Youtube video on the Hybrid 2WD.

Gas mileage at a steady 56 mph = 59-70 mpg
Gas mileage at a steady 70 mph = 35-40 mpg

Surprisingly good considering Hybrids perform worst on highways and even better in city driving. This is approaching levels of pure EV cars (of comparable size and weight) if you convert $ per kWh to mpg (using current fuel price)! I mean seriously if electricity was even like about 20-30% higher than it is today - this hybrid will be actually cheaper to drive on current fuel prices. Amazing job Kia has done!

In fact this is so good, that IMHO I think that PHEV Sorento is not even needed lol. I mean it will be good to have for those who want extra punch for hp/torque from bigger electric motor, but otherwise in terms of fuel efficiency difference is minimal. So minimal, that I doubt owner will even recuperate initial price difference between HEV and PHEV in reasonable amount of time - like 5-6 years.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #40