Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
02 sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys I know their are a ton of posts on overheating and I have read them all over the last week but none seem to answer my question. I have an 02 and it over heats when climbing hills so the last time I got it warm I stopped to trouble shoot. The engine fan is working but the electric is not, the electricity however does work when the AC is on so I assume it's a relay or sensor. Can anyone help?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,104 Posts
Sorry guys I know their are a ton of posts on overheating and I have read them all over the last week but none seem to answer my question. I have an 02 and it over heats when climbing hills so the last time I got it warm I stopped to trouble shoot. The engine fan is working but the electric is not, the electricity however does work when the AC is on so I assume it's a relay or sensor. Can anyone help?
Welcome to the forum.

How did you test and confirm that the viscous coupling on the fan is actually working?

The fans don't really do any work if the vehicle has sufficient speed, ...so could be fouling of the water side or air side of the radiator, or a sticking thermostat.

Please update your profile detail, ......at least location and vehicle.

·
Registered
02 sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the welcome.

I can only say the clutch fan was turning. I have no means to test it. I had assumed it was a simple relay or sensor but it may require a trip to the shop so I am not just keeping the parts store in business.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,104 Posts
Thank you for the welcome.

I can only say the clutch fan was turning. I have no means to test it. I had assumed it was a simple relay or sensor but it may require a trip to the shop so I am not just keeping the parts store in business.
Do a Google search for "how to test viscous fan clutch on a sportage" - some folks allow it to get up to temperature and then attempt to stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
* Always check with engine off, key out of ignition ! Wear appropriate clothing, a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, etc. with arm protection, and a good pair of gloves .. *

Engine cold:
The fan blades should turn, with moderate resistance. No resistance / turning freely: suspect clutch issue.

Engine warm, after running a few minutes: Light resistance. Fully locked: suspect clutch issue.

Engine hot, up to operating temperature, 30 minutes: Fully locked, should not be able to move w/ normal to moderate force. Light resistance or turning freely: suspect clutch issue.

--
Overheating: Engine cold: open and check fluid level in radiator. open and check fluid level in plastic overflow tank. check condition of overflow tank hose for secure fit on radiator and tank cap, ensure hose is clear / free of blockage.

Check condition of overflow tank, empty and clean out crud @ bottom of tank as needed, clean and inspect siphon hose on tank cap / drain hose.

--
Consider replacing radiator cap if suspect or old. Consider replacing thermostat if suspect or old.

--
Check for leaks: run vehicle up to operating temp., park, and place a long piece of cardboard underneath engine compartment, let sit overnight. Inspect cardboard for any signs of coolant leaking.

** Check & address any coolant level issues FIRST. **

Normal coolant level in radiator: right up to the top of the neck.

Normal coolant level in overflow tank: at least 1/2 way up tank: siphon hose on bottom of cap should be -fully submerged- in coolant. ** Make sure all hoses from radiator -> overflow tank are secure and in good condition, loose or damaged hoses = coolant leak. **

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
02 sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will run through that list today thank you. I have read that the electric is to come on at a certain temp 220 comes to mind so I automatically suspected that was my problem as it does not. Is the viscous fan the only fan to cool the motor at temp?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hi MandR,

Don't want to give bad info -

please update your profile (best) and/or post back with the model year of your Sportage, Auto or 5 speed, 4x4, or 2 wheel drive, and location (country) you reside in, Thanks.

--

On the US model Sporty's here, the mechanical (viscous) Fan clutch is the large fan directly behind the radiator, it is responsible for primary cooling.

The (small) electric fan in A/C condenser / directly behind the front grille is responsible for helping to cool the A/C system -only-, when A/C is in operation.

* If you can let us know the info. requested above, we can better help you here.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Ok, I read your original post more closely - you need to remove the front grille and inspect & test the electric A/C condenser fan to make sure the fan itself is operating correctly FIRST.

* These fans do fail w/ age / use / rust, it is a common issue, have replaced (3) here over the years.

To test, remove the front grille facia, remove fan plug, use a few test wire leads w/ spade connectors attached, and connect directly to battery voltage, if the fan works it will spin up quickly and freely w/o any obvious noise, should be quiet / sound like an electric box fan you would use in a home.

Any other noise, or no movement - replace the electric fan.

If fan tests out good, next step is to confirm you have sufficient (freon) pressure in the A/C system - if A/C system pressure is low or no good, the A/C cut relay will not energize -> the electric fan will not engage. *This is beyond the scope of your original question - * check the basics above first. *

·
Super Moderator
11,104 Posts
Ok, I read your original post more closely - you need to remove the front grille and inspect & test the electric A/C condenser fan to make sure the fan itself is operating correctly FIRST.

* These fans do fail w/ age / use / rust, it is a common issue, have replaced (3) here over the years.

To test, remove the front grille facia, remove fan plug, use a few test wire leads w/ spade connectors attached, and connect directly to battery voltage, if the fan works it will spin up quickly and freely w/o any obvious noise, should be quiet / sound like an electric box fan you would use in a home.

Any other noise, or no movement - replace the electric fan.

If fan tests out good, next step is to confirm you have sufficient (freon) pressure in the A/C system - if A/C system pressure is low or no good, the A/C cut relay will not energize -> the electric fan will not engage. *This is beyond the scope of your original question - * check the basics above first. *
I would suggest focusing on the engine cooling, and then, if there's a problem with the A/C get onto that.

Reactions: GottaCruise

·
Super Moderator
11,104 Posts
I will run through that list today thank you. I have read that the electric is to come on at a certain temp 220 comes to mind so I automatically suspected that was my problem as it does not. Is the viscous fan the only fan to cool the motor at temp?
Yes, if your vehicle hasn't been modified and upgraded to an electric main cooling fan, then the viscous coupled fan is the only fan for engine radiator cooling, ......which is really only needed when the vehicles forward speed is insufficient.

Click on "User CP" near the top right of the page.

Reactions: GottaCruise

·
Registered
02 sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mobile only sorry. I will plug in a computer later to update everything. Until then it's an 02 sportage ex 4x4 with 140000 km on the clock in Canada. The AC works fine and the condenser fan works well as soon as I turn it on. My mistake was I read that it also comes on to cool the motor at a certain temp. This is only an issue so far off road at slow speeds. I will get up to temp and check the resistance on the viscous fan.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
And the thermostat is new approx 2500km
Did the overheat issue exist -before- the new Thermostat replacement ?

Silly question I know, but I have had a few defective (new) out-of-box thermostats over the years.

^^^ What Ron said, +1 for focusing on cooling system issues first. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hi MandR,

Then if the Sporty was here, I would fully Q/A for coolant system leaks, radiator condition, hose condition, and the overflow assembly first,

and would replace both the radiator pressure cap, and thermostat, as a precaution - both are wear items, and get a work out w/ the 2.0L motor .. Or it could be a 'lazy' thermostat, have seen that here.

If still no joy - then checking condition of ignition components, verifying ignition timing, and checking exhaust system (especially the pre-Cat converter) for possible restriction, would be the next steps on the 'to-do' list here.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
02 sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the clutch fan. I manage to get it warm today and it was still free of tension,so off to the parts store tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
11,104 Posts
It's the clutch fan. I manage to get it warm today and it was still free of tension,so off to the parts store tomorrow.
Thanks for the update.

Are you going for the quick and easy approach going with a new like for like clutch, or upgrade to electric fan?

·
Registered
02 sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will be going for a new replacement,in my experience the electric fan "upgrade" is nowhere near good enough off highway. I do a lot of off highway driving and I have tried electric before because of the other benefits but they always leave me over heated. Unless somebody wants to try to change my mind before I get around to replacing it then the clutch fan is the way I will go

·
Super Moderator
11,104 Posts

·
Registered
02 sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are very good points and all the same reasons I have done it in the past but in the heat of the summer electrics can't keep up when climbing a mountain in 4 low at a snails pace. Now I have never tried on a Kia before but I can't see that making too much difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts