Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that the windshield "auto rain sensor " option is not included on the car . It has the normal standard low, high, int. and off .
So, now I can count 4 normal standard options for the top level trim that are missing on the 2021 Kia Sorento SX-Prestige :
1) Memory seats
2) Glasses compartment on top
3) no gas struts for the heavy hood . Instead, they replaced them with a single steel rod .
4) no "auto" rain sensor on the windshield wiper system .
don`t get me wrong : I love the new car , but these omissions are unacceptable on the top luxury trim . I wonder what Kia is thinking in order to eliminate those options from the SX ... My previous two Sorento cars , a 2015 and a 2018 had those options included , so ... (?)

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
920 Posts
The 2020 doesn't have "auto" rain sensor, but I don't really miss that.

·
Registered
Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
13 Posts
The other big miss with the SX trim is you can't get AWD with the Prestige upgrade ( cooled seats, digital dash) instead you have to skip a grade and get the X-line which forces you to get the roof rails and a totally different exterior. Who runs these marketing departments. They should be fired. Oh I forgot we don't do that in the new world.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
76 Posts
And no incorporated garage door opener.
Could they be thinking, Telluride? Want more, pay more?
Likely yes. The Sorento had the Memory seats, Rain sensing wipers, Gas hood struts and Sunglass compartment all until and including in 2019, when the Telluride was launched.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
920 Posts
The 2020 Sorento SX has memory seats, gas hood struts, sunglass compartment, and the HomeLink mirror as standard. It doesn't have rain sensing wipers, but as I said, that's not a big deal for me. The Telluride was a non-starter for me, it was really too big for my fairly compact garage, the Sorento fits, but there's no extra space.

·
Registered
Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
13 Posts
That 3.3 N/A V6 in the 2020 version will most likely outlast the new Turbo 4. Its a trend now that all manufacturers are getting away from V6's (and V8's ) in their mainstream vehicles and dropping turbo 4 poppers in there instead. Its so funny that Mazda's beautiful CX-9 took criticism for having a turbo 4 and now look. It appears they were ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
120 Posts
That 3.3 N/A V6 in the 2020 version will most likely outlast the new Turbo 4. Its a trend now that all manufacturers are getting away from V6's (and V8's ) in their mainstream vehicles and dropping turbo 4 poppers in there instead. Its so funny that Mazda's beautiful CX-9 took criticism for having a turbo 4 and now look. It appears they were ahead of the curve.
Tuned for premium gas, though. Not so much ahead of the curve in that aspect.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
120 Posts
Then why doesn't Mazda just say "regular fuel?" I would guess that all cars will run a little better on premium.

·
Registered
Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
13 Posts
Then why doesn't Mazda just say "regular fuel?" I would guess that all cars will run a little better on premium.
Mazda does not recommend premium fuel for their widely used 2.5 Skyactive turbo. It's purely an option. The new Sorrento is very nice and far better looking than the last Gen but drive the CX-9 back to back with the new Sorrento and it's still no contest. Mazda much more luxurious inside and out. Far better driving dynamics and if you don't need a lot of room or adults in the 3rd row its a no brainer for the same money.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
844 Posts
We've run regular in our CX-9 for years. You lose a little HP but the torque is still there.
227 HP and a 6 speed transmission is rather underwhelming for something as large and heavy as the CX9.
with 281 HP/311 lb-ft the Sorento will at least be able to get out of its own way.
I test drove a CX5 signature. It felt like a diesel, nice and grunty down low but it ran out of steam much to soon.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line, Aruba Green, Rust Interior
33 Posts
Mazda does not recommend premium fuel for their widely used 2.5 Skyactive turbo. It's purely an option. The new Sorrento is very nice and far better looking than the last Gen but drive the CX-9 back to back with the new Sorrento and it's still no contest. Mazda much more luxurious inside and out. Far better driving dynamics and if you don't need a lot of room or adults in the 3rd row its a no brainer for the same money.
Yeah, I don't know. It wasn't back to back, but I test drove the CX-9 when I was shopping and I didn't see what the big deal was with the driving dynamics that everyone and reviewers gush about. Also, all the luxury in the world doesn't make up for the controller knob Mazda forces you to use for the infotainment system. Touch screen wins every time.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
120 Posts
What do you know, they no longer push premium! I looked at the '21 manual and sure enough, 87 octane is what's listed. CX-9 comes across big and station-wagony to me, though.

·
Registered
Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
13 Posts
What do you know, they no longer push premium! I looked at the '21 manual and sure enough, 87 octane is what's listed. CX-9 comes across big and station-wagony to me, though.
They never " pushed" premium fuel. They purposely created an engine that would increase horsepower when filled with a higher octane fuel because they are a company geared towards actual driving as opposed to cars that people want to be able to play on screens while creating dangerous driving habits. That is why their infotainment is only usable as a touch screen when the car is not moving. The controller knob is exactly what Audi has been using for years and it works unlike Lexus and Acura's silly touch pads. Mazda also is the only car company to not use the silly "auto stop-start" feature that everyone hates. As far as performance goes... zero to 60 on the CX-9 is on par with the Sorrento and every other competitor. As far as styling there is no debate there. Take a look at the all new Acura MDX. They blatantly copied the much heralded CX-9 styling.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
120 Posts
They never " pushed" premium fuel. They purposely created an engine that would increase horsepower when filled with a higher octane fuel because they are a company geared towards actual driving as opposed to cars that people want to be able to play on screens while creating dangerous driving habits. That is why their infotainment is only usable as a touch screen when the car is not moving. The controller knob is exactly what Audi has been using for years and it works unlike Lexus and Acura's silly touch pads. Mazda also is the only car company to not use the silly "auto stop-start" feature that everyone hates. As far as performance goes... zero to 60 on the CX-9 is on par with the Sorrento and every other competitor. As far as styling there is no debate there. Take a look at the all new Acura MDX. They blatantly copied the much heralded CX-9 styling.
You're entitled to your opinion, but there's plenty on the web to show that Mazda has "pushed" premium fuel in the past much more than other makes. <shrugs>

Meanwhile, in this forum about Kias, it continues to irk me to no end that Kia has de-contented the Sorento so much. My current top pick to replace my 2017 Sorento...is a used 2019 Sorento.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line
6 Posts
The other big miss with the SX trim is you can't get AWD with the Prestige upgrade ( cooled seats, digital dash) instead you have to skip a grade and get the X-line which forces you to get the roof rails and a totally different exterior. Who runs these marketing departments. They should be fired. Oh I forgot we don't do that in the new world.
They're not "skipping" anything. The X-Line IS the AWD version of the SX Prestige. The SX and the SX Prestige are completely different trims, hence the differences in options.

LX
LX + AWD
S
S + AWD
EX
EX + AWD
SX
SX + AWD
SX Prestige
SX Prestige + AWD (X-Line)

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
133 Posts
Meanwhile, in this forum about Kias, it continues to irk me to no end that Kia has de-contented the Sorento so much. My current top pick to replace my 2017 Sorento...is a used 2019 Sorento.
i’m starting to look at Tellurides. I don’t need a vehicle that big but the decontenting and random quirks on the Sorento are starting to irk me too.

·
Registered
Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
13 Posts
They're not "skipping" anything. The X-Line IS the AWD version of the SX Prestige. The SX and the SX Prestige are completely different trims, hence the differences in options.

LX
LX + AWD
S
S + AWD
EX
EX + AWD
SX
SX + AWD
SX Prestige
SX Prestige + AWD (X-Line)

You what.. you are wrong. Period. The fact is you want the goodies that the Prestige package offers and you want AWD (which is the only way to get this rig unless you want to tear the front tires off) then you have to get the X-line which has totally different stying, roof rails and rides an inch higher. It's a miss to not offer AWD on the SX Prestige . Period.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line
6 Posts
You what.. you are wrong. Period. The fact is you want the goodies that the Prestige package offers and you want AWD (which is the only way to get this rig unless you want to tear the front tires off) then you have to get the X-line which has totally different stying, roof rails and rides an inch higher. It's a miss to not offer AWD on the SX Prestige . Period.
Just because you don’t like the answer doesn’t mean I’m wrong. AWD is offered on the SX-Prestige trim as the X-Line package.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts