Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio5 2010
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have again the same problem on my kia rio 2010 since the first year i got it.They already changed the coil pack 1(twice)-2-3 and yesterday my check engine just came up and its code P0301 AGAIN! so i decide to take out the coil packs to see what they look like and the first coil on from the left was all rusted and the cylinder inside that goes to the spark plug was rusted also??? How would they fix that? taking out the rust? and how did water get in there anyways.I think the dealer is playing with me.. its been like 5 times i go back from the same problem in 2011 they reprogrammed the CPU.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
Tell them you want a new cylinder head. Also ask if the lemon law applies. If you continue to have the same problem repeatedly, there is a flaw with your model.

The heads are also made of aluminum, so the rust should be from the coil packs, water shouldn't be getting to the cylinders. If it is we have a whole lot of new problems.

This coil pack thing is something they should have solved long ago. If you have all your dealer paperwork, make copies and take a picture of your code again and email it to Kia Corporate. Also if you can get it there, go to a different dealer for next service.

That's all I've got,
Good luck.

·
Registered
Kia Rio5 2010
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They changed my coils this summer and the problem just came back again! im freaking tired of this sh**.
I have to go back to the dealer again monday will this problem ever be solved???
I have to change car in about 1 year im not sure i will stay with kia anymore:(

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
The "water" probably came from the cold/damp winters you have in Quebec. Changes in weather causes moisture in the air to condensate everywhere and it can get into even the smallest cracks...

They make a high voltage silicon grease that you can "smear" on the center terminal and connections to keep the water out of the coils and their connections.. Available at local auto parts stores..

Did you get the "exact" same code (P0301) or a different one?...

What you have is curable and you might want to go to a different KIA dealership "if" the one you now visit can't get it right...

Thousands of RIOs are still on the road going bac to the early 2000s...You have a good car and just a problem that needs to be addressed properly..
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Rio5 2010
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The "water" probably came from the cold/damp winters you have in Quebec. Changes in weather causes moisture in the air to condensate everywhere and it can get into even the smallest cracks...

They make a high voltage silicon grease that you can "smear" on the center terminal and connections to keep the water out of the coils and their connections.. Available at local auto parts stores..

Did you get the "exact" same code (P0301) or a different one?...

What you have is curable and you might want to go to a different KIA dealership "if" the one you now visit can't get it right...

Thousands of RIOs are still on the road going bac to the early 2000s...You have a good car and just a problem that needs to be addressed properly..
Dave
Yes its still the same P0301,They changed the coil and spark plug in june.
But its not normal its because of the winters because my last car was a rio and my mother had a rio also and we never had any problems with coils before.And when you go on Edmund's site they say that the rio 2007 and 2010 have problems with the coils.So the problem is known.
I dont want to deal with this problem for the next 5 years or so.I do between 25000-30000km per year.Now whenever i go on road trips im always afraid the check engine light is going to pop up.

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
112 Posts
I have an 07 rio. I have had this code. It would generally occur first thing in the morning. There was one factory ecu reflash or update if you will that was done to correct this issue. It worked for me, however a year later, the same coil completely failed, and I had to replaced it in the wife's work parking lot.

If you always get 301, swap your coils from cylinder 1 to cylinder 2. If you then get 302, the issue is coil related. If still 301, I would say its the ecu or another issue at play, ie wiring to the coil.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
Kia Rio5 2010
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 07 rio. I have had this code. It would generally occur first thing in the morning. There was one factory ecu reflash or update if you will that was done to correct this issue. It worked for me, however a year later, the same coil completely failed, and I had to replaced it in the wife's work parking lot.

If you always get 301, swap your coils from cylinder 1 to cylinder 2. If you then get 302, the issue is coil related. If still 301, I would say its the ecu or another issue at play, ie wiring to the coil.

Hope this helps
Thanks

P.S. The thing i want to know is after my warranty expires if i get the same problem will they changed it for free??? im approaching 90000km

1 - 7 of 7 Posts