Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i removed the lower control arm on my daughter's 08 KIA Spectra. One out of three bolts rotated and would not come out... The nut that broke loose is inside the hollow engine cradle and is not accessible ... I was hoping that by cutting off the head of the bolt that I could push the remainder into the cavity and drill through the cradle ... No such luck... Something behind the nut restricts it to the hole... D#$M... Other than replacing the whole engine cradle on a 12 yr old car the next thing I will try is grinding around the remaining stud...welding the stud to the cradle and then welding the lower control arm to the stud... There is another bolt holding this flex bar within 3" to the cradle so welding will be a permanent "fix"... Hopefully the car dies before needing another replacement.
The control arm is NOT going anywhere in the near future...
Well back to the KIA... and the other lower control arm, tie rod ends and wheel bearing...
If you "Believe" ...Pray for my sanity :cry:
Dave

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,395 Posts
... I was hoping that by cutting off the head of the bolt that I could push the remainder into the cavity and drill through the cradle ...
Been there with similar things, and it's a sinking feeling when you become aware that the job has turned into WAY more work than you had planned for. The engineers who design stuff like this have obviously never done repair work on older, rusted vehicles, and have no idea what the repair guy will be faced with when bolt threads and other metal surfaces seize (which they always eventually will do if exposed to the elements).

I don't know your vehicle, and exactly what you're faced with, but in any case I'll send this idea your way, which has worked for me in the past. Where you said 'push the remainder', is there any chance you could drill that whole mess instead, through-and-through from whichever end offers that best access? Although what's inside would probably want to fight you and push the bit off-center, perhaps you could just fight back and maneuver it where you want it to go. If you could get the bit through, then a suitable grade long bolt, nut, and washers to button it up. I actually did something like this using a flexible bit holder, because there was not enough straight-in access for the drill. Not something I'd want to do very often, but it worked the one time when I needed it to.

In any case, I know the feeling and good luck with it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts