Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD with panoramic sunroof. 53k miles.

Coming home from the mountains today, on the highway going 60. Not bumpy at all, nothing overhead, and no one in front.

All of a sudden I hear a boom, and the cover for the front sunroof is full of glass. I pull over and the glass is in pieces. Exploded upwards. I picked as much as a I could out, and then drove to the nearest town and got some cardboard and tape to get home. 2 hour drive in 5 degree weather.

Not sure if this is an insurance claim or warranty issue. Put in an insurance claim tonight. Going to talk to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.

It was cold, but its been cold for weeks up here.

Not really any snow or ice on the roof when this happened. Hasn't really even snowed a lot on the car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brought it to the dealer this morning. They took some pics and are going to talk to the district manager. They didn't have a loaner, so I drove it home and parked it in the garage.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Should be warranty, but regardless, please keep us informed of what resolves.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Sunroof explosions are actually quite common. Due to the aerodynamic designs of modern cars, along with the pressure inside the passenger compartment, low pressure air (especially when driving into a headwind and/or changing altitudes) constantly pulls up on the sunroof glass. It is called the Bernoulli effect. Get just the right conditions, and POP goes the sunroof. I have read cases of this happening on nearly every make of vehicle. Lexus, Infiniti, Mazda, Ford, Chevy, Saab, Jeep, Hyundai, Toyota, Kia, Honda, Volkswagen, Acura, and Land Rover to name a few. Edmunds.com has a forum thread dedicated to the phenomenon. It is physics homework more than anything. This can happen to ANY car with a sunroof.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot that I had a hail claim on my car this past summer. Maybe that weakened it. Not sure. I brought it to the dealer.

Dealer declined fixing it under warranty.

Called insurance. Insurance comprehensive claim is going through, but they aren't accepting that the hail this summer weakened it, so I have to pay the deductible. Car is getting fixed now and should be ready mon or tues. good news is that there are no aftermarket parts for it, so it is OEM.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 Sorento SX AWD
39 Posts
Dealer declined fixing it under warranty.
Was that because of the previous hail damage claim (...Factors beyond Manufacturers Contol)? They knew about it and attributed it to the claim? I'm confused. As GregsKia stated, it happens all the time, but that should be attributed to the 'worksmanship, design, engineering'. I wonder if they are looking at these as "windows broken ... from outside influence" (as stated in "What is Not Covered" portion of their warranty).

·
Registered
16 Posts
interesting that it is deemed not covered under warranty. I would like to hear there rationale for that decision.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
interesting that it is deemed not covered under warranty. I would like to hear there rationale for that decision.

Same reason your windsheild is not covered if hit by a stone. The sunroof is not laminated therefor shatters instead of just cracking. So you can not prove that a stone or some other object didn't hit it.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I am pretty sure it's the dealer's responsibility to prove they are not liable, not yours to prove that they are... though that may vary by state.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I didn't mention the hail, at first because I didn't think it was related (and didn't remember). since it was 6 months earlier.

The dealer told me they normally don't cover glass, by they were going to see if they can get a good faith approval. It didnt happen. I called Kia corporate also.

I looked this type of thing up online. It does seem to happen to many different brand and model of cars. Some dealers cover it under warranty. Some don't. I see a lot of times BMW is not covering it. Hyundai and Kia don't seem to cover it under warranty a lot of times.

While they were figuring out if they would cover it. I looked on the web for,causes. It seemed like some weakening of the glass, followed by something could caus this. I was figuring it had to be the hail. My car has 53k on it.

Anyway. The insurance company isn't approving this under the previous hail claim and Kia didn't cover it under warranty either.

I guess I could have argued with KIA about it for weeks, but I needed my car. I did put in a note to the nhtsa. I think this is a pretty dangerous thing. If I had a small child in the back and the cover was open, they could have got severely injured.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same reason your windsheild is not covered if hit by a stone. The sunroof is not laminated therefor shatters instead of just cracking. So you can not prove that a stone or some other object didn't hit it.
Exactly. They claim it is just like any other glass.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 Sorento SX AWD
39 Posts
Y'all are still talking about an outside influence (stone, ball, boulder, bat, golf club, hail, blue ice...etc). There is nowhere I see in mogulman's description indicating that to be the case. I get it - gotta fix it - move on; however, this is becoming more and more prevalent and dangerous. Opening up a case to NHTSA is a good start. I hate that manufacturers clam up and point to outside influences when in reality, the design and engineering failed (type of glass, stress points, atmospheric pressure). This is not the first report of spontaneous explosion of the panoramic sunroof (ooohh... a new acronym - SEPS - XD ).

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I agree that engineers should be accounting for the pressure differences that sunroofs are exposed to. Especially panoramic sunroofs, as there is more surface area that is subject to the Bernoulli Effect. Seems like the most common occurrence is when changing altitudes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the car back. It was supposed to take a few days. It ended up taking almost 2 weeks because when they took out the headliner, some of the trim pieces got damaged and they needed to order them.

All OEM parts.

Had to pay my deductible for insurance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 KIA Sorento Glass Exploding

Seems to be a thing with the glass in KIAs exploding as our back passenger window exploded for no apparent or unapparent reason while driving down I-75. Funny tho, KIA dealer never heard of such happening, so they declined to repair, even tho we had extended bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
It was a little bit of a hassle when I ordered my sorento, EX v6, no sunroof and no 3rd row seating. I just felt the glass was just to big. I thought what event might cause this thing to "POP" out. Collision, wind pressure, hard bump etc. But twice now, we have been driving and have felt as though something like a basketball had hit the roof and the noise was like a "boing??" (steel flexing :eek:) Both times we pulled over and looked the vehicle over, no marks etc. I remember the salesman telling us that KIA specs stated that the glass was much stronger than steel.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I have the same vehicle

My EX V6 AWD was purchased without those options also. Like you, I didn't care for that huge glass roof. It just didn't look good (IMHO). Thus, I asked the dealership to have an aftermarket sunroof put in (I have done this before and have done my research). I think it looks far better with the standard type sunroof/moonroof, than the panoramic, and is warranted for life (original owner).

It was a little bit of a hassle when I ordered my sorento, EX v6, no sunroof and no 3rd row seating. I just felt the glass was just to big. I thought what event might cause this thing to "POP" out. Collision, wind pressure, hard bump etc. But twice now, we have been driving and have felt as though something like a basketball had hit the roof and the noise was like a "boing??" (steel flexing :eek:) Both times we pulled over and looked the vehicle over, no marks etc. I remember the salesman telling us that KIA specs stated that the glass was much stronger than steel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sunroof Shattering

I just posted on another forum about this but glad I found this thread. Last week my sunroof shattered while I was driving 75 mph down the interstate. Was at a higher elevation then drove to the base of the mountain and "bam", glass everywhere. 2013 Sorento only eight months old...17,000 miles (yes, I drive a bit for work). Vehicle's been at the dealership for 5 days waiting on a "field agent" to come look at it to determine if it will be under warranty.
Here's my question...can they not put the same glass in the sunroof that is on the windshield...that "laminated" glass?
I'm terrified of it happening again...and if my kids were in the car with me, they would have been showered with glass. Any ideas?:mellow:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts