Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everybody :)

My wife and I got seduced by a beautiful red Sorento LX with the manual transmission. We jumped and bought it last Wednesday, and we were exceedingly happy with the replacement for our trusty, if boring, 1997 Honda CRV. Our neighbours loved the car aolmost as much as we did when we first came home. :D

However, after only a few days, I found that I got a clock that would reset within 2 to 8 hours. After finding out that this is a common problem we contacted the selling dealer on Thursday, and werw dismayed when he said that we should bring the car in (60 km or 40 miles) to have him determince that the clock did in fact reset by itself. Having phoned Kia Canada, I was told that she would contact the dealer and that they should install the clock and that the dealer would phone me back. Haven't heard yet. :(

On Saturday morning I found an almost dead battery in the car, incexplicable to me because I had the car sitting outside my study iwindow and would have noticed if I had left the lights on. I spend all day Saturdy trickle charging the battery, and it seems fine now. Then I read a post by somebody in this forum with similar priblems, and I am really beginning to wonder what I got myseld into with Kia, who seem to have more than a few unhelpful dealers. :angry:

So, even thougth we love the car, we are beginning to feel quite uncomfortable having committed to Kia, afterhaving spent 8 years and 285,00 km (ca. 180,000 miles) with our trusty old Honda. Any suggestions on how we should proceed with this problem are welcome.

To end this on a more upbeat note, we find the car is a joy to drive, it is luxurios, and, on most roads, extremely comfortable. It shifts beautifully, and I even like the audio system. Having a gourp like this is allso a plus. I have found similar groups very interesting, informative and helpful with the motorcycles I have owned over the last few years. :)

Before closing, I find that backing up in the dark is extrememy difficult with this vehicle, because I can see viturally nothing out the high, dark rear window (yes, the backup lights are working but only help when I use the side mirrors.

We hail from Penetang, Ontario, Canada in cottage country about 150 km (90 miles) north of Toronto. We are hoping to pull a small travel trailer, but would like to see the battery problem resolved before ene installing a hitch. How do those of you who trailer find the Kia for that?

By now I have probably lost most readers and would like to apologize to those of you who are still reading for being an overinclusive, slightly obsessive, longwinded person.

best and cheers, Manuel from Penetang

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Welcome to the site. Its too bad you are already having isses with your Sorento. I have had my Sorento for over a year now and have 16,000 miles on it and have had only a few minor issues and one of them is the same as yours......the clock. I would contact the dealer about the dead battery and see what they will do about it. Good luck with your issues and keep us posted on them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's too bad you've had a bad string of problems with your new Sorento. I purchased a 2005 Kia Spectra5 about 6 weeks ago and haven't had anything bad like that at all. I certainly agree, the Sorento is sure a step up in looks over the Honda CRV. :)

The clock problem is well documented, and the dealership should have already known (and fixed) it. If you haven't gotten a call back from the dealership, call the 1-800 number again and complain. Complaints registered through that number are recorded and documented, and as such if a dealer isn't treating their customer well Kia/Hyundai will know and address it.

Another piece of advice is to speak with the service manager. In my past experience, the worst person to deal with (in any dealership) is your salesperson if you have problems. Ask to speak to the service manager, and tell him/her exactly what you've told us. They're people like you or I, and they certainly want to make you happy so that you'll come back and buy another car. Please let us know how this conversation goes, we would all like to see it resolved.

On the battery drain problem, has it only happened the once? This could be something as simple as a loose battery connection, or as big as a faulty alternator or battery (not to scare you!). While I'm sure you've already checked the obvious, make sure that you haven't left an accessory on and plugged into a lighter socket (ie. radar detector, cell phone charger, etc). The nice thing about battery problems is that they are very easy to diagnose, so you should have a pretty quick resolution to that problem.

For the backup problem, there are several products out there to solve this problem. It has really been an issue in the new Honda Ridgeline - backing it into a parking spot is pretty much impossible without help. The two main products are reverse distance sensors, and reverse camera systems. The distance sensors are tiny, and can be mounted inconspicuously on/in/below the rear bumper. There is a little readout that gives you the distance in feet to whatever is behind you, and even tells you if it is to the left or right side. If you're interested in one, let me know - I'd like to design a kit that looks factory installed and fits where your clock is (don't worry, you won't lose the clock, it'll just look a heck of a lot nicer).

Welcome to the group, and please tell us how it goes!

Devin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a brief update. A call to Kai Canada motivated the ordering of the new clock whch I should recieive shortly.
Mentioned the problem with the bttery running down. Service manager said either something was draing the battery or the battery is no good. Will ask him to look into that when the clock is installed.

thanks for the comments. Manuel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts