Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 AWD V6 Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post-hello to everyone

2006 V6 Sportage AWD w/ 65,000 miles. It's my wife's daily driver and the a/c suddenly stopped working about a week ago. Only blowing hot air. Not making any noise and didn't prior. Clutch was not engaging and is recieving 12v at the connector. I tapped the clutch with a pair of channel locks and it engaged and continues to engage when pressing the inside button. I haven't witnessed it cycling off though and now it still does not blow cold. I only have the cheap-o low pressure gauge and it measures about 80 psi static pressure and when the compressor kicks in the pressure does not change. About 90degrees outside temp. So couple questions... could the expansion valve be faulty, should I just replace the compressor ( and if so how difficult is it, it looks pretty tight down there), should I re-space the clutch shims or is there further trouble shooting I could do? Would getting a better manifold gauge set and getting the high pressure readings do any good for diagnosis?

Relays and fuses seem to be ok, before tapping it I did try to jump the 30/87 pin but still didnt engage, then I measure the connector and saw the 12v. Not sure how to measure the resitance/ohms on the compressor itself though. I tried and got a 2.04 with the meter set on 200 ohms mode, but not sure I did it correctly.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
My first post-hello to everyone

2006 V6 Sportage AWD w/ 65,000 miles. It's my wife's daily driver and the a/c suddenly stopped working about a week ago. Only blowing hot air. Not making any noise and didn't prior. Clutch was not engaging and is recieving 12v at the connector. I tapped the clutch with a pair of channel locks and it engaged and continues to engage when pressing the inside button. I haven't witnessed it cycling off though and now it still does not blow cold. I only have the cheap-o low pressure gauge and it measures about 80 psi static pressure and when the compressor kicks in the pressure does not change. About 90degrees outside temp. So couple questions... could the expansion valve be faulty, should I just replace the compressor ( and if so how difficult is it, it looks pretty tight down there), should I re-space the clutch shims or is there further trouble shooting I could do? Would getting a better manifold gauge set and getting the high pressure readings do any good for diagnosis?

Relays and fuses seem to be ok, before tapping it I did try to jump the 30/87 pin but still didnt engage, then I measure the connector and saw the 12v. Not sure how to measure the resitance/ohms on the compressor itself though. I tried and got a 2.04 with the meter set on 200 ohms mode, but not sure I did it correctly.

Thanks

Jeff
If you have 12 volts at the compressor and its still inop., then its probably in the clutch coil. It may be shorted out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts