Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. hello.

I own a KIA-PICANTO LX Automatic Transmission. It comes with an Overdrive button and I'm confused kung para saan sya.

Sabi sa manual that came with the car na i-turn off daw yung overdrive kung downhill driving. Talaga bang yun lang ang use nya?

I tried turning it on and off occasionally pero wala naman akong napansin na kaibahan? Is my overdrive broken or something?

I also did some searching for Overdrives sa google and all the articles I found assumes that I know what an overdrive is.

Thanks kung may makapag-explain. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
All A/T cars nowadays have an OD function :)

OD allows you to go to 4th gear and the ECU will rely heavily on the pressure you apply on the gas pedal to know what gear to switch to. If the OD is turned off, you are limited to 3rd gear. The usual practice is to always turn on OD especially on fast roads so the the engine won't rev too much when going beyond 100km/h. Turn off OD when going uphill or go to the lower gears.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello! what is the real fuel efficiency of the picanto? based from my observations kasi 10-12 km/liter some said, its 18-20 how comes mine is only 12km/li...tnx in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by bathala@Jan 5 2005, 07:28 PM
Hello. hello.

I own a KIA-PICANTO LX Automatic Transmission. It comes with an Overdrive button and I'm confused kung para saan sya.

Sabi sa manual that came with the car na i-turn off daw yung overdrive kung downhill driving. Talaga bang yun lang ang use nya?

I tried turning it on and off occasionally pero wala naman akong napansin na kaibahan? Is my overdrive broken or something?

I also did some searching for Overdrives sa google and all the articles I found assumes that I know what an overdrive is.

Thanks kung may makapag-explain. :)
Generally, overdrive is somethink like the 5th gear in a manual transmission. If you need power, switch it off, but if you're driving long drives, switch it on to save on fuel.

When you want to overtake with an automatic, floor the accelerator and you'll see how fast your picanto can accelerate (word of caution though, don't do this on metro manila busy streets, try this on highway with absolutely no cars in front of you at least 100meters away).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Generally, you just leave it in the ON position (that's why the warning lamp illuminates when you turn it off). O/D off won't allow you to shift to 4th. This can be very uneconomical and potentially damaging.

Use it if you don't want the tranny to 'hunt' between 3rd and 4th. Like when going up or down steep roads for extended periods.

If you need power, just floor the throttle, the kickdown switch will automatically take care of downshifting.

·
Registered
1997 Kia Pride
7 Posts
to: xtray

there are a lot of factors that affects fuel consumption,e.....
1. type of road na dinadaanan mo
(i.e. pag less traffic sa daan, mas konting fuel ang maco-consume, kapag malubak, mas magastos din kasi constant na low gear ka lang)
2. fuel-type
- mas mataas ang fuel rating, mas matipid ang fuel consumption(mas mahal
nga lang ang ganitong fuel)
3. driving style
- there are drivers na talagang iniintay munang tumaas ng husto ang rpm
bago mag-shift sa higher gear, mas magastos sa fuel ang ganon.....
4. heavy on the accelerator
- there are some drivers na nakatapak na ng almost half-way sa accelerator
para mag-move from stationary position or while changing gear.....

meron pang other factors.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts