Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the dash reflection bother anyone else? The dash has that cut out above the speedometer that is slightly lighter in color and has a slightly different texture than the rest of the dash. On sunny days, the glare this causes in my front window is super distracting and annoying. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, does anyone have a solution to it? It may just be my viewing angle as I'm 6'3" and I'm looking down rather than straight outward. I'm pondering a dash mat but I'd rather not go that route.

I love my 2012 sportage sx, but this glare is driving me crazy!:mad:

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Had similar problem and dash mat was the only solution. KIA mat for the Cerato was $50 and it fits well; we don't really notice it, and I suppose it stops sun damage to the parts covered.

·
Registered
Sportage SL
40 Posts
It is common problem for all of Sportage owners, but the more northward he lives the less its reflection. No sun - no reflection.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Try adjusting the seat so the glare is out of your eyes and still comfy. Last resort, wear sunglasses.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Many interior protection products are designed to put an artificial gloss on the plastic/vinyl parts. Clean the dash of the old product and use those marked 'matte' finish to reduce glare. Definitely would help reduce the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have polarized Oakleys but I still see the glare. I've altered the seat angle but I still cant get the seat low enough to remove the glare out of my direct line of sight. I've never cleaned the dash with gloss finish products.

In conclusion, I'm afraid the dash mat is the only answer to this problem :(

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
479 Posts
Damn it, now I am going to look for this glare every time I drive. I have never noticed it before, I am 6'6" and always wear polarized sunglasses in the day time.

I wonder about the polarization though, I think Oakley polarizes in a different direction than my Maui Jim's. A friend of mine with Oakley's complains that he can't read the nav screen in his car but I see his screen just fine. Maybe borrow a pair of shades from a friend and see if different polarization helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Tom!! Once you see it, you'll ALWAYS notice it. LOL. But seriously, it happens mostly when the sun is overhead or in front of the direction you are traveling. I can't train myself to ignore it. Sounds petty, but its in the spot on the windshield just where your vision line is. I will try a different variation of polarized glasses and see if it helps.

PS. I ordered this dash mat yesterday. I'll post pictures of how it looks for everyone to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a follow up, I tried a pair of Peppers polarized fishing glasses yesterday on the road. Virtually eliminated the glare. Thanks for the tip Tom. I owe you a beer!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Living in the UK I only got the first chance to try this today :lol:

I am not sure if Oakley have changed something in the lenses but my tangent (black iridium polarised) kill the glare 100%, not a hint of it left :cool: Tilt your head at 45° and it fades back in again.

I am 5'9" and have my seat at the lowest setting :D

WD :D

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX AWD
23 Posts
Sorry Tom!! Once you see it, you'll ALWAYS notice it. LOL. But seriously, it happens mostly when the sun is overhead or in front of the direction you are traveling. I can't train myself to ignore it. Sounds petty, but its in the spot on the windshield just where your vision line is. I will try a different variation of polarized glasses and see if it helps.

PS. I ordered this dash mat yesterday. I'll post pictures of how it looks for everyone to see.

Did you get the dash cover and does it work?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
+1 for Polarized glasses. I wasn't bothered by this reflection until I bought some polarized Oakleys about 4 months ago. Now when I am not wearing them, the reflection is unbearable.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
The only part that bothers me is the reflection on the windshield from the smooth part of the dash just above the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving, glare and veiling glare solutions

This is a common problem in many cars called veiling glare. Not everyone is affected in the same way, though. It may have to do with ones macular pigment optical density.

I've collected info from research and different autoforums and summarized them in this article:

Glare, worst driving comfort enemy: driver fatigue, eye strain causes and solutions

I hope it helps!

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is a common problem in many cars called veiling glare. Not everyone is affected in the same way, though. It may have to do with ones macular pigment optical density.

I've collected info from research and different autoforums and summarized them in this article:

Glare, worst driving comfort enemy: driver fatigue, eye strain causes and solutions

I hope it helps!
Presumably there should be a link to the article?

Anyway I have owned a Kia Sedona and a Kia Carens over the last 12 years and I now have a Hyundai Santa Fe and that reflection has been a pain in the butt in all of these cars. I don't know Kia and Hyundai (same company now) have managed to achieve the reflection problem so consistently over the years. The best solution that I have found was the "don't wipe the dust of the dashboard" one. To be fair we do not get that much sun here in the UK so it isn't a huge problem but when we do get a bit of sun it does make driving really uncomfortable. I will have to try the polarised sun glasses solution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts