Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm hoping to replace my head unit with one of these new Android head units. Image follows. I'm very happy with my navigation head unit but there are so many other things you can do with an Android head unit. There are multiple vendors of these kinds of units and they have models that work with UVO head units. Many come with harnesses that make these a more or less plug and play install. These come with the replacement plastic trim so the installation looks like a factory install. However, from what I've seen, it looks like the trim only fits where there is an automatic climate control and not the manual controls. With these units you lose Sirius XM.

I'm trying to figure out the details to make one of these work with the navigation units. Main issue is the amplifier. I'm hoping to keep the amplifier, use of all speakers, steering wheel controls, rear view camera and stock antenna. Some come with CAN-bus modules but it's not clear what functionality those provide and if they are intended for the navigation head units, etc. There are some aftermarket harnesses I've found that may be required. Still researching.

If anyone can provide a diagram of the rear of the navigation head unit connectors and their functions as well as the amplifier connectors and their functions that would help to confirm whether this is doable or not. What I've found is not exact and seems unreliable. I'm thinking the Kiatechinfo site might be what I'm looking for but I don't want to purchase a day or month access only to find out that it's not doable. And, it'll probably take more than a month just to receive the units as they usually come over on a slow boat. So, if anyone can help out, much appreciated.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've gotten to the point that I'm comfortable updating this thread now. I have successfully gotten my Android head unit working on my Sorento SX with Nav going through the factory amplifier using the standard speakers.

The good news is that it works. That bad news is that the final / total cost is more expensive.

I'll be making other posts with information to help others and information that I came across or found useful. This is also for others that may stumble across this thread trying to do install an Android head unit in other make / models of vehicles.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I purchased a T'Eyes SPro 4GB ram, 64GB rom from AliExpress at US $210.6 61% OFF|TEYES SPRO Car Radio Multimedia Video Player Navigation GPS Android 8.1 For KIA Sorento 2 XM Sedan DVD 2009 2010 2011 2012|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

I've connected it to the Sorento successfully with Axxess Integrate AX-HYKIA4-SWC Factory Integration Adapter Connect a new car stereo and retain steering wheel controls and factory amp in select 2010-13 Hyundai and Kia vehicles at Crutchfield I've only tested it without soldering anything to make sure it worked. It works fine.

I had tried connecting the head unit to my Sorento with a Canbus module that was provided by the SPro vendor. This did not work as no sound was produced. I'm not sure if the module is defective or just doesn't work with the North American Sorento XM. I also tried to use the SPDIF output from the radio directly to the amplifier connector. This did not work. I decided to go with

Posts to follow with other information about the hardware (head unit, adapter, wires, connectors, etc), installation and software configuration.

Pictures (to be added):

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hardware (Incomplete)
To replace the OEM navigation head unit in the Sorento SX North American edition, any head unit should be usable when used with the Metra/Axxess Interfaces module. It's made specifically for this purpose. The module has an analogue to digital converter and a module to handle the steering wheel controls.

The following info is specifically for the T'Eyes SPro Android head unit. I'll try to point out items that are general and what to watch out for, if you decide to use a different unit.

When purchasing a head unit, ideally it comes with the following. Pictures at the bottom of the post:
  • Fascia / dash surround
  • GPS connector
  • Radio connector
  • USB connectors + USB adapter
  • Harness(es), possibly with a Canbus module
  • Rear camera connector
The SPro came with these additional items at the time it was purchased. Note that the Fascia is only usable for dashes with a climate control, as shown on the image at the top of this thread, and not the manual climate control with the three dials.

The SPro comes with an internal 4G modem. There is an internal SIM slot as well as an optional cable for another SIM card. This is similar to a smart phone for data. Many Android units do not come with a 4G modem and connect via WiFi for internet data. The SPro can do both. It can also act as a WiFi hot spot so that an Android phone can connect to it for internet data.

Things to watch out for:
  • heat produced by unit / CPU
  • vendor support
  • community support
  • firmware updates
For the SX, there is an amplifier under the passenger seat. Vendors may ask if your Sorento comes with an amplifier under the passenger seat. This usually indicates that they don't support it. I have not been able to confirm any purchasers of the SPro that have successfully connected it to a North American SX with the amplifier under the passenger seat without any additional module or other modifications. I'm 99.999% sure this is due to the Canbus communications to the amplifier to control turning the amp on and off as well as to control the volume and possibly fade and balance.

I believe I've found out why vendors ask about the amplifier under the passenger seat. There is a model of OEM navigation head unit different from the Infinity model that does not have an amplifier under the front passenger seat but looks very, very similar. With this other unit, I believe the amplifier is built-in to the head unit.

For the 2011-2013 XM Sorentos, I don't believe the Canbus provides too much information or control as may be available in later / newer models. So, we're not missing much not having the Canbus module working.

Installation

Configuration

·
Registered
2011 Sorento I4 Manual
8 Posts
Hey! I just bought myself a 2011 sorento with the non nav audio and from what I can tell no infinity dealio. I'm personally looking at getting a new head unit but I think I'm going to avoid the ones running android in favor of one with support for mestro rr

I'm new to the forum and haven't looked through it all yet so I dunno what every one here has done to their cars yet.

Is there a particular reason you chose the android approach? Ive heard the sound isn't great and most people end up also installing amps for their speakers.

I guess what I'm looking for is evidence either direction I'd love to see what other people are doing to their kias and also love to know 10 days later how happy you are with the way you went.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX V6 Turbo
6 Posts
VIM,

I wanted to say that we literally gutted a 2012 EX to do something quite similar last October. It was a 3 week project. Long story short we ended up junking the head unit, the amp, and the original speakers. Truth be told the unit we put in was an ATOTO head unit (Also turned out to be complete junk). We replaced the garbage (And almost impossible to identify) amp under the passenger seat with a 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate. We DID use the original wiring from the amp, but we chopped all the harness plugs and had to retrace every wire and rewire the entire thing.

The ATOTO unit was eventually sent back as horrible defective, and I put the original (blown as in it had lights but no sound coming from it) head unit back in the vehicle. It has been silent ever since that day.

I am in the process of creating a tablet mounted system manually, and this will ultimately prove far easier then paying the extortion shipping for a new Android head unit. I plan on leaving the original head unit right where it is (completely unplugged in the back of course) and using the CD slot to hold the tablet system.

I will simply run the tablets output directly into the amp to power the polk speaker system.

If you ever need wiring please know the wiring for the sorento uses the same wiring as the forte, though Kia will never tell you this and we searched forever before we discovered this on our own.

Overall it was a great project, even though it ultimately ended in failure.

good luck with yours!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YEGJacobsdad, the main reason for an Android head unit is so that I can do all things Android...especially customizations. The launcher I'll be using is called CarWebGuru: CarWebGuru Launcher - Apps on Google Play You can configure 6 themes and quickly switch between them. I'll also be using PowerAmp music player which is also great: Poweramp Music Player (Trial) - Apps on Google Play I can do other things like set up a lock screen, install other Android apps such as Waze for traffic, August for my door locks, Tailwind for my garage door opener, etc

Kiaguy2020, I read about one or maybe two others that did what you did...leave the amp and cut the speaker wires and then use the wires with the new head unit that includes the amp. The Atoto is another of those Android head units...don't know when you tried it, but the one I've got is one of the current versions of Android head units. I've already got it working with the existing OEM wiring and amp using the module I identified above.

More info and details to follow.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento I4 Manual
8 Posts
VIM hey buddy! Yeah we're gonna have to compare notes, I ordered an Alpine Ilx w650, the other day and its on its way hopefully should be here before the weekend. My sorrento is the base radio without the infinity deal so as far as I know the wiring should be fairly straightforward. I plan to eventually install a sub and upgrade speakers which is why I like this one, it is designed to be able to accommodate an amp behind the deck so you could still use the oem speaker harness easily with their highs amp. I also ordered a backup camera and with all the wiring and modules to make everything work I'm already in the hole about 800 Canadian scheckles.

On a related note, before I spend more on the car I'd love to know how long the I4 engines usually last? Mines at 130kkm and I don't drive a lot (don't use for commuting) if I'm going to do what I plan if like to know my odds of keeping her past 200kkm or so. Is 130k miles reasonable? Also if any one is reading this have any of you guys put in a sub and if so where did you put it? Mine doesn't have the 3rd row so I want to put the sub it's self in the storage cubby under floor and the amp under the rear seats. Haven't taken any measurements yet so I'm not sure what will fit.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great to compare.

You should start one or more separate threads for the non Android related items to get better responses.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Sorento AWD Platinum (2.2l CRDi)
13 Posts
So, I purchased a T'Eyes SPro 4GB ram, 64GB rom from AliExpress at US $210.6 61% OFF|TEYES SPRO Car Radio Multimedia Video Player Navigation GPS Android 8.1 For KIA Sorento 2 XM Sedan DVD 2009 2010 2011 2012|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

I've connected it to the Sorento successfully with Axxess Integrate AX-HYKIA4-SWC Factory Integration Adapter Connect a new car stereo and retain steering wheel controls and factory amp in select 2010-13 Hyundai and Kia vehicles at Crutchfield I've only tested it without soldering anything to make sure it worked. It works fine.

I had tried connecting the head unit to my Sorento with a Canbus module that was provided by the SPro vendor. This did not work as no sound was produced. I'm not sure if the module is defective or just doesn't work with the North American Sorento XM. I also tried to use the SPDIF output from the radio directly to the amplifier connector. This did not work. I decided to go with

Posts to follow with other information about the hardware (head unit, adapter, wires, connectors, etc), installation and software configuration.

Pictures (to be added):
So you've solved it, and this is the answer?

Costs almost twice as much as my android unit once it gets to Australia.. gotta be in it to win it I guess

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the problem is the amp and the canbus interface. This is specifically for the North American SX. Other models without the amp under the passenger seat don't need the interface. Yeah, it sucks. I started and I believed the vendor would provide all I needed. Anyway, I got hooked on these Android units once I started looking in to them.

The module is about $190 USD. So, you bought an Android head unit for about $95 USD? Where did you buy it? Please provide the link. Others may find it useful. There are differences between these Android head units.

The interface module can be used with most, if not all, head units that have normal speaker outputs. The interface converts analogue to digital for the SX amplifier and provides canbus signals to manage volume and turn the amp on and off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, the problem is the amp and the canbus interface. This is specifically for the North American SX. Other models without the amp under the passenger seat don't need the interface. Yeah, it sucks. I started and I believed the vendor would provide all I needed. Anyway, I got hooked on these Android units once I started looking in to them.

The module is about $190 USD. So, you bought an Android head unit for about $95 USD? Where did you buy it? Please provide the link. Others may find it useful. There are differences between these Android head units.

The interface module can be used with most, if not all, head units that have normal speaker outputs. The interface converts analogue to digital for the SX amplifier and provides canbus signals to manage volume and turn the amp on and off.
Yeah I had the exact problem as you, and was trying to figure out in THIS thread with you and Ben as 2 of the 3 Aus XM models also have the underseat amplifier with the PA760 unit. I was also investigating an extremely vague decoder from Connects2 who sold via a local stockist for an equivalent USD$223 (AUD$342) so wasn't willing to risk it as it cost far more than my android unit. And the one you found looks more complete and you've actually tested it. Did your kit by chance also come with the round to square antenna adapter?

As for anyone who maybe interested in my cheaper android. I knew there was a risk of it not working so opted for a non-Teyes. This model only comes with 2GB/16Gb, lower 1024x600 resolution on a 10.1inch IPS panel and no DSP like the Teyes, but everything else is there including the 4G modem. At the time (7th Nov), I had purchased for AUD$209/USD$136. This was a sale price in line with the global "11.11 Singles days sale":

Minus not getting the sound to work at the time of initial install, 2Gb of ram on Android 9.0 is relatively lagless as I am only using it for the following Apps:
  • Car Launcher
  • Torque Pro (live obd dash)
  • Broadlink (home automation for garage door and all lights etc)
  • Waze/Google Maps/iGo
  • Netflix/AmazonPrime/Hulu/Youtube Music + Google Music

·
Registered
13 Posts
There was one particular 4gb/32gb Android unit on Ali.. may have been a Teyes, but there was a Russian commenter who had the amp issue that said he had to buy an additional decoder for $60, I've been trying to track him down for ages so I could ask about it, but all good.

Buying your working connector is better than my $$$ paperweight not installed in the car haha

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Teyes came with all the connectors...round radio to square adapter, USB connector. It came with a GPS antenna but I bought an adapter to connect to the stock GPS antenna. The interface also has a steering wheel control module. I'm not sure if it was really needed but it works. I made the module respond like a Sony head unit. It also has long press functionality but haven't tried that yet.

The comments and reviews for the ead unit were varied where some said it worked and some had problems. I figured that enough said it worked that it was worth a try. I think the big confusion is that in Russia or that part of the world, there is a nav head unit that is almost identical to the north American one but has an internal amp and no external amp.

I hope I get more motivated to finish the write up...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey @VIM I'm about to order this from Crutchfield.. just wanted to doublecheck which factory unit you have?

Because this interface says its only for the unit with the navigation?And I assumed you also have the PA760

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Kia Sorento FWD Base with 2.4L
114 Posts
I use a Lenovo Tablet with custom rom mounted on a CD player slot holder, mirrored to my smartphone via app and using a small bluetooth adapter from 5 Below in the AUX jack. Using my phone's BT don't seen to utilize the full power of sound unless it's wired by the headphone jack. I think it's because the Sorento has an older version of BT so the adapter that plugs in the AUX jack works. Not a perfect setup but it works. I can use my phone's hotspot or wifi if I'm near one.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento I4 Manual
8 Posts
@VIM Hey buddy, so I had a bit of a **** around getting the right stuff to do the deck on my Sorrento but I finally got her in. Alot of my issues stemmed from the fact that the vendors I was working with all thought the plug for my factory unit was going to fit a metra 70-7074 when in fact I needed the 70-7073. A real shame that plug comes with the plug that interfaces with the plug that has the steering wheel control wires but is only pinned to connect the factory remote amp turn on.

But now that I've got her all in finally and have gotten her setup I only notice a slight improvement in audio quality over stock mainly in the lower mid bass. Still using stock speakers mind you. Now that I'm actually using Android auto I do see why you would want the full blown android experience over the neutered auto one. Over all I still am happy with my new setup as it des add features over my stock deck for example I can now switch tracks over Bluetooth using the steering wheel controls. Which is something I couldn't do before. As well as nav and a backup camera.

I dunno if any one Is interested I don't plan on making a full build log or anything like that but I don't mind answering a few questions if any one has any.

I my self have reached a bit of a snag, I installed am amp and subwoofers and for the most part all of that went well, the only issue is I have gotten my 4 gauge power wire from the back to under the dash but I'm not sure where to go through the firewall. My Sorrento is a 6speed manual so no grommet for clutch pedal, I was thinking of going through the the grommet alongside the shifter cables but i don't want to mess that up because it is so low on the cab I'm afraid of water ingress and also I don't want to risk damaging the shift cables either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey. I'm hoping to replace my head unit with one of these new Android head units. Image follows. I'm very happy with my navigation head unit but there are so many other things you can do with an Android head unit. There are multiple vendors of these kinds of units and they have models that work with UVO head units. Many come with harnesses that make these a more or less plug and play install. These come with the replacement plastic trim so the installation looks like a factory install. However, from what I've seen, it looks like the trim only fits where there is an automatic climate control and not the manual controls. With these units you lose Sirius XM.

I'm trying to figure out the details to make one of these work with the navigation units. Main issue is the amplifier. I'm hoping to keep the amplifier, use of all speakers, steering wheel controls, rear view camera and stock antenna. Some come with CAN-bus modules but it's not clear what functionality those provide and if they are intended for the navigation head units, etc. There are some aftermarket harnesses I've found that may be required. Still researching.

If anyone can provide a diagram of the rear of the navigation head unit connectors and their functions as well as the amplifier connectors and their functions that would help to confirm whether this is doable or not. What I've found is not exact and seems unreliable. I'm thinking the Kiatechinfo site might be what I'm looking for but I don't want to purchase a day or month access only to find out that it's not doable. And, it'll probably take more than a month just to receive the units as they usually come over on a slow boat. So, if anyone can help out, much appreciated.

View attachment 113001
I find to believe that Kia created two different trim pieces for digital HAV vs Manual, did you find anything regardging this? i have a sorento without the digital HVAC.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,865 Posts
I find to believe that Kia created two different trim pieces for digital HAV vs Manual, did you find anything regardging this? i have a sorento without the digital HVAC.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts