Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI AWD
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

I realize this is really an Android question, not a Kia question but I haven't been able to find the answer googling or checking XDA Dev etc.

The question is how do I stop my phone from giving alerts each time I start up the car, that it can't connect to wireless Android Auto. This car doesn't support wireless Android auto kinky wired), but does have a Bluetooth connection which is required for the cabled Android Auto. I would like this pointless alert to stop.... Anyone have any suggestions? I even turned off the option for Android Auto to give me notifications about wireless AA and that did not stop this alert.

(And yes for those of you that know my other posts, despite my misgivings about this technology, I am using it from time to time.)

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
715 Posts
I don't get that alert, what specific phone do you have? I have the Galaxy S21 G5.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Samsung Galaxy S10+, latest Android 11 updates in my phone.

It is super annoying. I used to get the same thing on my 2017 Sportage LX. Was a little disappointed that the 2021 didn't have the AA wireless update to the head unit, but such is life. (Most other 2020 and newer Kia's have that update).

Anyway ... that alert is very annoying and I've been trying for a long time to find a way to get rid of it. The only way i can find is to UN-pair the phone from the car, but then Android Auto doesn't work at all, even on the cable. Realistically I rarely use either but I'd like to have the option at least, just without the annoying and rather intrusive alert. (maybe one out of every 50 trips I'll stream the BBC News podcast from the phone, or use AA navigation to go someplace unfamiliar).

Really I don't like being tracked, but the damn car of course is tracking me all the time, and there is no way to disable that either :confused:.

I don't get that alert, what specific phone do you have? I have the Galaxy S21 G5.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be clear, this is the alert (notification).

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX-GDI
12 Posts
I get this too on our 2017, but it doesn't indicate anything regarding Android auto.
If you are the one driving, this shouldn't bother you since you shouldn't be looking at the phone. You should be able to turn off Bluetooth as a passenger and not see this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@abellofi .... hmm ... not sure how you mean that it doesn't indicate anything regarding AA ... since the notification clearly says 'Android Auto available'. And since it seen the instant the car starts and constantly the whole time the phone is in the car while running, I find it annoying and intrusive.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,572 Posts
@abellofi .... hmm ... not sure how you mean that it doesn't indicate anything regarding AA ... since the notification clearly says 'Android Auto available'. And since it seen the instant the car starts and constantly the whole time the phone is in the car while running, I find it annoying and intrusive.
Depending on the version of Android you have, you can turn off all notifications for Android Auto in the system settings, ie., not in the app. You should only have this notification if your phone is plugged in the USB port or if your phone supports wireless AA, if the Wifi is turned on in the infotainment system. In my case, I've installed some auxiliary power outlets and plug my phone in there rather than the USB ports. The USB ports limit the amps going to charge the phone according to the USB spec which barely charges my phone. When I use the added power outlets, I use a USB outlet that puts out at least 4 amps so my phone charges quickly. I don't like the solution of turning off all Android Auto notifications because I do use it fairly often.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo
10 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Rvoll! My phone is a Galaxy A32 and does the exact same thing - I actually wound up disabling Android Auto, although I did like the text msg notifications, because it kept overtaking my stock nav system with Google Maps. Could not for the life of me how to customize AA to just enable text msg notification

1 - 8 of 8 Posts