Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2017
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I upgraded my phone to Android 11. I wanted to use the wireless android auto connection to my Kia Sorento 2017 but it only connecting via USB cable. If I unplug it, it disconnect Android Auto and it grayed-out. Any idea if wireless Android Auto is compatible with Kia Sorento 2017??

Thanks for the reply in advance,
Noel

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
167 Posts
Wireless Android Auto isn't even available on my 2019 Sorento, so I'm guessing that head unit, like mine, is not wireless compatible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
wireless android auto is not available in most of the cars as it requires wireless hardware on the head unit. there is a team of developers who are working on to release wireless android capability, here is their startup indigo link.

AAWireless | Indiegogo

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
466 Posts
Wifi isn't available on the 2020 Sorento SX, so I'm sure it's probably not available on earlier years. I believe it is offered on the 2021 models.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
924 Posts
OK, I think I have this figured out.
The dongle plugs into the USB port. It fools the head unit into thinking that a phone is plugged in. It connects to the phone over wifi (direct?) because a bluetooth connection alone is not fast enough to carry the video for the moving maps.
So all it does is replace the cable connection, audio still comes over bluetooth. No wifi is required in the car, it still connects by being plugged in, it simply replaces the USB wire with wifi to the phone.
That being said, it may be useful on older cars, but 2019 and up provides enough power to charge a Note 4, my current TCL charges quickly, so there is no need for it.
Another point: In the older cars the port is only 500 Ma. Is that even enough to run the wifi in the dongle?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I did not say that, so I don't know how you quoted me! Maybe you should take time to get your quotes correct? :rolleyes: See the actual quote in context below, emphasis added by me.

OK, I think I have this figured out.
The dongle plugs into the USB port. It fools the head unit into thinking that a phone is plugged in. It connects to the phone over wifi (direct?) because a bluetooth connection alone is not fast enough to carry the video for the moving maps.
So all it does is replace the cable connection, audio still comes over bluetooth. No wifi is required in the car, it still connects by being plugged in, it simply replaces the USB wire with wifi to the phone.
That being said, it may be useful on older cars, but 2019 and up provides enough power to charge a Note 4, my current TCL charges quickly, so there is no need for it.
Another point: In the older cars the port is only 500 Ma. Is that even enough to run the wifi in the dongle?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
924 Posts
I did not say that, so I don't know how you quoted me! Maybe you should take time to get your quotes correct? :rolleyes: See the actual quote in context below, emphasis added by me.
I do not see where you were quoted.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,730 Posts
Indeed I did, scosgt. Why it applied his tag to the post is a mystery only the Xenforo programmers could possibly know.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It certainly was weird, but I managed to get those words out of my mouth, so it's all good. :D

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T
5 Posts
Would the dongle work on a 2016 Sorento EX? Which dongle did you use?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Haven't used any dongle yet, I don't know of any convenient way to do this. The kludge solutions using TV receiver sticks and the like don't appeal to me. AAWireless seems to be the best answer to retrofit for wireless AA. From the list on their Indiegogo page, it should end up working with most cars with wired AA. It won't be available until sometime in the middle of next year from what I'm reading. If that ends up being as easy as they're claiming, that will be my solution. I'm thinking of shooting the dice and getting in on the last shipment.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
924 Posts
Haven't used any dongle yet, I don't know of any convenient way to do this. The kludge solutions using TV receiver sticks and the like don't appeal to me. AAWireless seems to be the best answer to retrofit for wireless AA. From the list on their Indiegogo page, it should end up working with most cars with wired AA. It won't be available until sometime in the middle of next year from what I'm reading. If that ends up being as easy as they're claiming, that will be my solution. I'm thinking of shooting the dice and getting in on the last shipment.
Why would you need it on a 2020? There is enough power to charge your phone. the problem only exists on the 2018 and back.
My 2019 has at least a 2 AMP port.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Why would you need it on a 2020? There is enough power to charge your phone. the problem only exists on the 2018 and back.
My 2019 has at least a 2 AMP port.
I'm not worried about charging, my phone doesn't fit properly in the forward console compartment with the USB plug in, I have a fairly large phone. If you put any lateral stress on the USB jack, it will likely damage the jack, that would be unfortunate. My grandson kills the USB port on his phones in about 6 months, I've had this Galaxy S8+ for around 3 1/2 years, and it's as good as new, I'll bet it's got another couple good years in it. I would like the convenience of having the AA connect automatically without taking the phone out as well. If I had the wireless, I could plug the charger in on the phone in the glovebox and drop it in there, it would be charging and it would fit without putting pressure on the USB connector.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2021 (1.6 T-GDi AWD, XL Prestige Line)
39 Posts
I picked up my 2021 Sorento GT-Line last week. According to the engineering menu, the 10.25" head unit is equipped with BCM89359 5G WiFi/Bluetooth Smart 2X2 MIMO Combo Chip with RSDB Support. Its key features are:
  • Optimized for seamless interaction with enhanced wireless applications and feature-rich systems like Apple CarPlay and Google Auto Link, the BCM89359 device is the first WLAN combo architected specifically for multi-band concurrent automotive infotainment and telematics operation.
  • RSDB support enables simultaneous connectivity to the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, improving throughput and latency when using multiple applications.
  • Integrated 5G WiFi technology provides the bandwidth required for multiple high resolution in-car displays, allowing uncongested 5GHz video to coexist concurrently with Wi-Fi Internet access and 2.4GHz Bluetooth hands-free audio.
  • 2x2 MIMO technology delivers twice the Wi-Fi performance of any other solution on the market today, providing the highest throughput in-car network possible for multiple user experiences.
  • A dedicated Bluetooth antenna enables concurrent operation of Bluetooth and WLAN applications and employs advanced coexistence algorithms to maximize voice quality and data access speed in simultaneous operation.
So I bet it is just a matter of a software update.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
285 Posts
I picked up my 2021 Sorento GT-Line last week. According to the engineering menu, the 10.25" head unit is equipped with BCM89359 5G WiFi/Bluetooth Smart 2X2 MIMO Combo Chip with RSDB Support. Its key features are:
  • Optimized for seamless interaction with enhanced wireless applications and feature-rich systems like Apple CarPlay and Google Auto Link, the BCM89359 device is the first WLAN combo architected specifically for multi-band concurrent automotive infotainment and telematics operation.
  • RSDB support enables simultaneous connectivity to the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, improving throughput and latency when using multiple applications.
  • Integrated 5G WiFi technology provides the bandwidth required for multiple high resolution in-car displays, allowing uncongested 5GHz video to coexist concurrently with Wi-Fi Internet access and 2.4GHz Bluetooth hands-free audio.
  • 2x2 MIMO technology delivers twice the Wi-Fi performance of any other solution on the market today, providing the highest throughput in-car network possible for multiple user experiences.
  • A dedicated Bluetooth antenna enables concurrent operation of Bluetooth and WLAN applications and employs advanced coexistence algorithms to maximize voice quality and data access speed in simultaneous operation.
So I bet it is just a matter of a software update.
Does the 2020 Sorento have the BCM89359 chip?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts