Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to think that I made a HUGE mistake buying a Kia Sportage (2019 LX).

Having been a Toyota guy for the past 20 years, I am used to things being correct when purchased. I have bought many Toyota cars and trucks over the years and 99.9% of the time they were perfect when I got them home.

This Kia Sportage leaves ALOT to be desired. Air vents not working, rattles, whirring noise in engine compartment, rear seat doesn't fold properly, very cheap wiper blades already streaky (after one rain) and I cannot get any local AM radio stations without static. I live 22.3 miles from the main antenna of a 50,000 watt radio station (WGY in Albany NY) and I cannot get clear reception. I can pick up WGY from Binghamton (147 miles away) in my Camry. I live about 7 miles from my local AM radio station and lose the reception just 4 miles from my house.

Is this what I have to look forward to when owning a Kia? I am not impressed. So much for initial build quality

Anyone else have AM radio reception problems? Anyone else even use AM radio? LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have those problems with my 2019 sportage LX AWD.... However, I'd gladly take those over the incredibly unsafe steering issues we've had since about 3k miles.... we just had our steering column, complete with MDPS motor and computer fixed after fighting with an incompetent service department and still fighting them to replace the steering rack. Just as a heads up, if you notice notchy or sticky steering, it's the column assembly, if you experience drifting or steering wander it's most likely your steering rack. Kia has only owned up to these issues for the sportage and the Optima. I used to LOVE Kia, never had a single issue with our soul... but my sportage experience is enough for me to NEVER buy Kia again. And it's a shame too because I would've shrugged and said shit happens had they been able to fix it the FIRST time I brought it In. But it took five and only fixed half of it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
These are very distressing experiences!
Hopefully both of you will eventually have your issues solved.
Not sure the dealership can do anything about the am radio reception.
Only thing you might try is another Kia (take one home or for a long ride) and try its am radio.
If the reception is better than your vehicle I would say you have a case. If not, its ia design issue and most likely your out of luck.
Let us know how you both make out.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't have any of the above issues, though I would admit not testing the AM (or FM that much for that matter). I also sympathize with having a poor local dealership that can taint your view of the brand. Another Kia dealership may have done better, or another Toyota dealership may have done worse. You can only do so much as a buyer, maybe look into another dealership. I am lucky enough to have 3 fairly close by.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 17LX has the best build quality I could have possibly imagined. One of the first things I noticed when I tested the radio was that my AM radio could pick up stations no other vehicle I had before could pick up. There are lemon vehicles from all manufacturers and those are the ones you hear about the most on the forums. We are all sorry if you happened to get one of these lemon vehicles from your dealer it can happen and that is why states have come up with lemon laws. I would be upset too if I had had the problems that you guys are talking about with my car I hope you get your problems resolved.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Out of curiosity, what does the first value of your VIN read?

Mine is "K" which means it was built in Korea.

Kia Sportages are manufactured in Korea and USA.

What I notice about my Sportage is the fit and finish is superb. Everything feels so solid.

Anyway, I hope you resolve your issues. Everything should be under warranty - bumper to bumper - so bring it to the dealer and get it fixed.

Also bear in mind the lemon laws in NY, which may apply to you: https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/new-car-lemon-law-qa

In short, with Kia's great warranty and General Business Laws in NY, you have a lot of rights in your case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sportage is not made at the west point, Georgia facility. Sportage sold here, are all made in Gwangiu, south korea
I sit corrected.

Anyway, I'm always surprised to see forum posts about Kia's having problems. Seems like, given the warranty, one should just take it to the dealership right away if you have an issue.

There are laws enforced by the AG's office in NY that if a reasonable number of attempts were made by a dealer to repair a problem that hasn't been fixed, then the dealer can be forced to buy back the vehicle.

·
Registered
766 Posts
There is a bit of a lottery whenever buying a new vehicle, there are always going to be a few here and there with a few issues.

I do find it somewhat humorous the implication that Toyota is somehow different, when in fact, their products right now have a few more problems per 100 vehicles than Kia at the moment.

Vehicle initial quality 20 years ago, has nothing to do with today.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The other thing, 20 years ago there weren't many places for people to be vocal about getting a bad one. Today though is another story. Hence, logging onto this forum and immediately putting it on full blast mode right off the bat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i had a 2012 sportage, which was totaled and i currently own a 2017 sportage. over the course of the last 7 years and 2 vehicles i have only ever had one issue. on the 2012, the radio died and was replaced under waranty. thats all.

i don't think you made a mistake in buying a kia, i think you unfortunately got a lemon. it can happen with any brand.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Are you allowing folk here to guess at the "cure" you did?
I'll bet you went and bought new tires, or at least rotated them. Tire "pull" is a fairly tricky thing to cure, and I've made many posts here about working that problem out...the trick is the same for ALL vehicles.
Just a shame that the dealer would not go the "extra mile" on their own to take care of an annoying (dangerous) condition on a NEW VEHICLE.
Glad to hear YOU got it corrected, by whatever means YOU found!

·
Registered
107 Posts
........mistake buying a Kia Sportage (2019 LX).

.........I cannot get any local AM radio stations without static. I live 22.3 miles from the main antenna of a 50,000 watt radio station (WGY in Albany NY) and I cannot get clear reception. I can pick up WGY from Binghamton (147 miles away) in my Camry. I live about 7 miles from my local AM radio station and lose the reception just 4 miles from my house.

Anyone else have AM radio reception problems? Anyone else even use AM radio? LOL
My 12 year old Kia will not have much in common with your new Kia but being an AM talk radio junkie I noticed my O.E. radio didn’t seem to do as well as AM radios I had in the past. I switched to a new Pioneer am/fm Supetuner....no difference : (

You didn’t mention your Toyota year but I’ve read that all manufactures have been putting less engineering into the am tuners these days.

P.S....I wonder if part of the am reception problem is the stubby “style over performance “ antennas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PCGUY I wasn't aware that listing out problems was against the rules of the forum. I thought this was place that offered help and ideas regarding the vehicle - sorry I didn't heap praise on a brand new vehicle that obviously has some quality and build issues. As far as Toyota, that is my experience. I guess you don't like that either.

Maybe u should stay on forums that only speak of all things great and wonderful about Kia.

I prefer the real world.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
To the "average" American AM Radio is an after thought left over from the 30s through the 60s... I am now 70 and even I seldom tune in a station on AM...

Car manufacturers look to cut costs to manufacture cars because of competition... The biggest problem with the AM band is the loss of the antenna aerial... We now have a small nub or wires embedded in the rear window they call an antenna and AM radio relies on having a strong signal because of it's use of amplitude modulation technology... The amplitude of the broadcast signal must be higher than the background noise so lightning, high voltage, transmission lines, or even a stronger AM station can wipe out reception... FM radio works by varying the frequency being broadcast to modulate the sound and is not effected by modulated (varying) amplitude...

You can buy an "old style" antenna and mount it on your car to greatly improve your AM reception...
They now sell "amplified" antennas BUT along with amplifying a weak AM signal you will find they ALSO amplify noise... Changing the radio will usually do little to improve reception...Changing the antenna will...
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a bit of a lottery whenever buying a new vehicle, there are always going to be a few here and there with a few issues.

I do find it somewhat humorous the implication that Toyota is somehow different, when in fact, their products right now have a few more problems per 100 vehicles than Kia at the moment.
I would have to agree with you. I bought my first Hyundai Elantra in 2000 and second in 2007. Since that time i had a 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 Hyundai of some model. I would have bought another Hyundai had i been able to get a good deal. My son in-law has had 2 Kia and his daughter had 2 also. I decided since Hyundai wouldn't deal that i would try Kia. I did get a better deal on my Sportage EX than i would have on Hyundai Kona so i bought it. I have stayed away from other brands because, kia and Hyundai have a great warranty and I've had nothing but regular maintenance on Hyundai.
I was afraid to buy a Toyota because they have so many recalls and warranty not as good. Of course, i now live in Texas, in Kentucky for 8 of past 20 years, and service has always been great both states. One thing is, if your Kia is not any good, you can always go back to Toyota. Toyota gives you plenty of recalls to check and recheck their boo boos.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
21 Participants
Robthebob
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing