Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Kia Sorento SXL GDI V6, '16 Kia Sedona SX, Prev '11 Sorento, '12 Forte
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on installing a mobile amateur radio in my Forte eco. I've read on some other forums that the newer eco-friendly cars sometimes have "smart alternators" which can play havoc on charging systems when you're using an external load the the ECU doesn't know about.

Does anyone have experience putting aftermarket stereo equipment into a Forte with eco package? Your issues would probably be similar to mine, considering that bass hits into an amplifier would likely draw as much amperage as my radio would be transmitting, though possibly less.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
i would think if you wired it directly to the battery with an in line fuse it should be ok and less of a chance of picking up unwanted noise static etc.

"73" from KE6TZ

·
Registered
2011 Forte 5 Door
96 Posts
Question are you installing a C/B or HAM unit c/b you should be fine with normal install .If using a high gain HAM i would have a secondary battery put in and use it as the power draw...

·
Registered
'14 Kia Sorento SXL GDI V6, '16 Kia Sedona SX, Prev '11 Sorento, '12 Forte
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, awesome. The next question is, where is there a grommet where I can pass the power leads into the engine compartment? I looked around under the dash but didn't find anything that looked like a usable path.

Would installing it into the center console (where the two cigarette lighter adapters are) make sense? I figure that those lines only get power with the key in ACC so I don't think that'd be the best choice.

I'm installing my Kenwood TM-742A 144/220/440 radio. Already have the antenna mounted on the trunk lip and tested with an swr meter, just need to get a power lead run and I'm aces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts