Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new thread for idea's mainly for 144/220/440 system and possibly HF installs.

The Sorento presents some huge challenges for an installation.

• Access to Power supply.
  • Cable and antenna runs.
  • Antenna mounting points.
  • EMI computer concerns.
  • Aesthetics.
After months of head scratching I'm still not going to be making any holes in the body work, after weeks of pacing around the SUV with beer in hand, pondering and poking a few observations.

I notice rubber plugs under the foot wells, nice place to run cables - coax out of the body and run under the car.

Models with sun moon roof, notice drainage channels accessible through spaces in the glass which could potentially allow cable run to undercarriage within bodywork (drainage might be compromised?)

Roof rack -Bars make a nice mounting point for a clamp type base.

Antenna type - looks like only VHF-UHF is feasible unless you want to look like an idiot, fold down type, spring loaded.

Radio, removable face most feasible, but where?

Lets get some idea's going, the idea is not to compromise the Sorento in any way.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
OK :D How about a mixture of aluminum foil dipoles glued to the sun roof, capacitive coupled thru to a phase rotation box to make it omni-directional. Should be able to handle a watt or so. Won't be seen from the ground for a normal height person. :p Exception, don't know construction of glass in sun roof, may be "sprayed" with metal internally for insulation.

You can always use a mag mount, fed thru crack in window, powered by cig lighter, rig mounted on a gps type removable mount. Fast removal for target by thief.

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK :D How about a mixture of aluminum foil dipoles glued to the sun roof, capacitive coupled thru to a phase rotation box to make it omni-directional. Should be able to handle a watt or so. Won't be seen from the ground for a normal height person. :p Exception, don't know construction of glass in sun roof, may be "sprayed" with metal internally for insulation.

You can always use a mag mount, fed thru crack in window, powered by cig lighter, rig mounted on a gps type removable mount. Fast removal for target by thief.
Given me another idea, wonder if the glass capacitor induction antenna system's are any good?

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
I've got the same problem with my 2013 EX with sun roof. Looking for a way to mount a lip edge mount on the tailgate and will need a new radio with a remote head and maybe blue tooth for the RX audio....let me know if you find anything out. 73 John

·
Registered
1 Posts
face plate mount

I like the face plate being suction cupped to the windshield. Not the part about the thief though.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.