Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Kia Carens 2L CRDi (old shape), Subaru Impreza P1, Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, just joined up as I'm having a massive headache with the handbrake on my '06 Carens 2l CRDi.
I've just fitted new discs and pads to the rears and took it for it's M.O.T. All was good, but it failed on handbrake insufficient operation and excessive travel. I'd stripped brakes down and done everything as usual, followed the guide I'd read in this forum to set the handbrake up, (slackened the adjuster nut off under console next to the handbrake, run engine and pumped pedal to set rear pads in place, then adjusted nut to take up the slack.) The travel on handbrake was still excessive (8 notches) but if I tighten any more the brakes start to bind on. Also the handbrake lever on the caliper doesn't return fully home. I thought it may be the cables sticking so I stripped them off and soaked with WD40 to make sure they move freely. Also the handbrake lever returns all the way to it's stops without the cables fitted so doesn't seem to be a problem with the caliper.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm pulling my hair out!!!!:(

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
The Mk2's are notorious for this problem.

The best fix I can give is to do what my mechanic did with my old one which was to reverse the process you did, ie. get the cable right then adjust up the brakes from there. Quite how he used to do this I'm not sure but mine was spot on every time he serviced it.

You might get some further help on the dedicated UK forum Carens - Kia Owners Club Forums - Page 1 has more experienced members with Mk2's, this forum tends to start with the Mk3 as we know it in the UK.

·
Registered
'06 Kia Carens 2L CRDi (old shape), Subaru Impreza P1, Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I've just joined and posted in that forum as well, I've been trawling all over searching threads for ideas, as handbrakes seem to be a common problem on these. I've worked on my own cars for years, but this is the first one that's got me completely stumped as where to go next!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
I see you have an answer on the UK forum so wont prolong this topic here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts