Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5, Electronic Blue
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this feature I think I've noticed is a standard thing on remote-entry cars, forgive me. But I've always had manual door locks up until now, and I never had a car newer than from 1997, so all the cool features on the Rio seem like they're from the future to me. :) Hence, I'm never sure what featires are actually standard on a car that was built in this century vs. which features are luxury items.

I have, on occasion, unlocked my door from a significant distance. I have witnessed the lights blinking to acknowledge the signal. Then it has either taken me a while to actually walk to the car, or else something else happened and I was delayed in walking to the car. Either way, when I got to the car and went to open the door, to my surprise, it was locked.

Do the doors re-lock themselves if too much time passes after the remote unlocking, and no one has interacted with the car?

If that's the case, I like that feature. It leaves me relieved that there won't be a problem if the unlock button accidentally gets triggered somehow, when nobody has any intention of actually getting in the car. If the car will simply re-lock itself, that's a GOOD thing in my eyes.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan
19 Posts
Yes, a lot of vehicles with keyless entry have this feature. If you unlock but don't open any door the vehicle will relock after a certain amount of time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks! I like that feature -- it's a good precaution against accidental unlockings.

Now if the cars like my dad's, that have remote trunk opening, could CLOSE the trunk under similar circumstances, that would be great, lol. He started keeping the key fob on the end table, rather than in his pocket, after going outside and finding that his trunk was wide open for who-knows-how-long.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
Cool, thanks! I like that feature -- it's a good precaution against accidental unlockings.
this tells you on page 4/8 in your owners manual, I would suggest your read it from cover to cover to help you understand and appreciate the features in your new Rio :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did go through the manual, but I was focusing more on the dashboard features. My husband still teases me that I spent forever in the car on the day I got it. :) (I was not in the car for four hours, don't listen to him, lol.) It didn't dawn on me to check out the remote entry details, though, so I missed this feature.

I did determine that if I'm parked in front of the house, I can activate the horn remotely from every room in the house. (My neighbors must have loved me that day. ;) ) So I like the fact that an accidental keypress of the unlock button will undo iteslf.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Here to help

I did go through the manual, but I was focusing more on the dashboard features. My husband still teases me that I spent forever in the car on the day I got it. :) (I was not in the car for four hours, don't listen to him, lol.) It didn't dawn on me to check out the remote entry details, though, so I missed this feature.
Gabey, don't worry about that. We're there for help and hints. We all did the same. I don't know of anyone who reads the manual page after page, paragraph after paragraph, line after line, word after word. I did the same as you did: I went straight through my most interesting feature and came back fort the others. Again: we're here to help and guide, not to lecture you...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
52 Posts
haha, yea, I read some of the manual...sort of & after a month of having the car I found this special little black button on the door handle. hmmm..I wonder why thats there so I pushed it. To my amazement the doors unlocked.

Rick

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX 6spd
59 Posts
I was in the car cleaning the windows, and I had the key in the ignition on accessory. I got out of the car, and out of habit, hit the lock button and closed the door. It was one of those moments where I realized what I had done after it was too late, the door slammed shut, and the car promptly unlocked!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, the "Autolock" can be surprising the first time you encounter it. Years ago, I pressed the button when the keys were on the table, intending to go outside and bring in some gear from the car. As I approached (about 30 seconds later), "Kerlunk" and I realise what had happened. I note that most buttons that open the boot remotely have to be pressed for a second or two to avoid unintended opening.

At least these days, the system seems to be fairly intelligent and actively resists the keys being locked in the car. Some time ago, a friend had a series of Fords that each year had new and interesting ways of assisting you to lock the keys inside the vehicle.

One car I had actually required you to lock the driver's door with the key (rather than just setting the lock and holding the handle as you shut it).

·
Registered
Kia Rio S 2012 (3-door hatchback)
41 Posts
My Rio has the same auto-locking feature - after unlocking it with a remote, it re-locks itself if none of the car's doors is opened. I agree it is very useful in case you accidentally unlock the car without knowing.

After driving for a little while, the car would also lock itself, again a very useful feature for preventing outside intruders whilst driving. However, sometime I forget to unlock it when I go pick up someone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My Rio has the same auto-locking feature - after unlocking it with a remote, it re-locks itself if none of the car's doors is opened. I agree it is very useful in case you accidentally unlock the car without knowing.

After driving for a little while, the car would also lock itself, again a very useful feature for preventing outside intruders whilst driving. However, sometime I forget to unlock it when I go pick up someone.
I've noticed that the car will lock all the doors when I put it in drive, and UNlock all the doors when I put it in park. This is another feature that I didn't read up on, so I was a bit surprised. The first few times I parked the car and went to unlock my door, I was puzzled that it was already unlocked. I thought I was going nuts, because I distinctly remembered having locked the door when I got in the car. (Before finding out that the car will lock it for me.)

Now the only challenge I have with the locks is remembering to re-lock the car after I unlock it to let in a passenger.

I did manage to read the part of the manual that says if you turn the key in the door lock twice, it unlocks all the doors. That's nice to know, in case the battery for the key needs replacing someday.

I find it amusing that I, and every female I know, had no difficulty understanding why someone would want a panic button when I showed them the car key. But pretty much every male, including my husband, wondered why it existed. Unfortunately, we have to think defensively in this world, and anything that will attract attention is something that unsavory characters wouldn't want. So the panic button serves a similar purpose to that of the air horns and whistles that joggers carry.

Not to mention, I recently read that as a security measure, if you believe someone is breaking into your house, sound the panic alert from inside the house, and leave it beeping until the cops come or the marauders flee. (This was why I was experimenting with the panic button from every room in the house. It works. That's a pretty good range.)

Toys are fun. ;) I'd say that I'm having a second childhood, but there's no evidence that I ever left my first childhood, lol.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
I've noticed that the car will lock all the doors when I put it in drive, and UNlock all the doors when I put it in park. This is another feature that I didn't read up on, so I was a bit surprised. The first few times I parked the car and went to unlock my door, I was puzzled that it was already unlocked. I thought I was going nuts, because I distinctly remembered having locked the door when I got in the car. (Before finding out that the car will lock it for me.)

Now the only challenge I have with the locks is remembering to re-lock the car after I unlock it to let in a passenger.

I did manage to read the part of the manual that says if you turn the key in the door lock twice, it unlocks all the doors. That's nice to know, in case the battery for the key needs replacing someday.
nice to see your getting the idea of "all these mod cons" - a lot of things have changed in vehicles since the late nineties :D
When you drop someone off just put it into park instead of keeping it in drive and then as soon as you put it back to drive it will lock again automatically.
Also a tip, if you put it into neutral instead of park the door will still remain locked. ;)
It's not unique to the Rio, I have the same features on my Soul too. :lol: I've experimented with the range and in a direct line it will activate up to 200', also I think as you mentioned it works through walls without any problem.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Yes, the "Autolock" can be surprising the first time you encounter it. Years ago, I pressed the button when the keys were on the table, intending to go outside and bring in some gear from the car. As I approached (about 30 seconds later), "Kerlunk" and I realise what had happened.
LOL! I've been using that feature on my wife for a year now. We'll be approaching the car in a parking lot and I guess-timate when we're 30 seconds away from the car. Hand her the keys and say "hit the unlock please." Just as she's about to reach the door, "KERLUNK"! and the purple words start flying. She's got the keys so I'm guiltless. I'm :lol: my a$$ off and she still to this day hasn't figured it out. :confused:

Does that make me a bad person? :D

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Are you a bad person? Aren't you the guy who was complaining about the rattling on the passenger seat? With these stunts I wonder why this happens. ;)

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Can't claim responsibility for the passenger seat stunt, but....

When we leave the front door of the house, I secretly hit the door unlock on the fob.

Then I say "C'mon. I'll race you to the car!" I always win (gotta be there in 30 seconds) and she always loses cause she just stands there wondering why I "like my Rio so much I have to race."

Again... doesn't get it. Maybe a confession will be my Mother's Day present.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
You're really bad, you deserve to drive the LX MT model. It doesn't come with door lock option.

Then you can race to the car and by the time your wife gets to the car the passenger door is hopefully open. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts