Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, got my sorento crdi auto xs 6 march and what a car!! nice car to drive and its got all i need in a car. now the problem. my car came into uk via cyprus saving 4k, good saving thinks me!! got a problem with cruise control so calls local dealer. alls going well til i say car came via cyprus!! different attitude from dealer and told to contact kia-uk. contacts kia-uk, they tell me cos car came from cyprus it will never be on kia-com system (why???), but they will honour warranty work, suits me fine but i must find out whos responsible for informing me of any safety recalls!!

calls dealer back with info and told to bring car in next day 30 march, dealer calls back within two mins saying they dont have part and to bring it in 6 april at 10 30. dealer calls at 09 25 on the day and says they dont have part and to bring car in
next day at 10 30. dealer calls back at 15 00 and says they dont and wont have part for some time cos its on BACK ORDER and will call me when part arrives..............now 13 april and no word from dealer.

so what do you think?? am i being messed about?? i would like to hear opinion of murphwitz on this,
cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not saying that it's right but you did save £4K. Is this the same with all foreign/personal imports. I think that it's often the case that such cars are viewed differently by UK dealers who are expected to deliver the same standard of service irrespective of where they came from. I think too that cars imported from abroad are often not to the same spec as UK supplied cars.

·
Registered
Sorento XS 2.5 CRDTI 2006/2007
35 Posts
I was given the run around by my local dealer in Bedfordshire because I bought my Sorento in Derbyshire. 1. letter to Kia customer services soon corrected their attitude.
I even got an apologetic phone call from them promising to treat me better in future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to hear you feel you are being messed about. I to have some issues with my dealers that really get my back up. I ordered a part 6 weeks ago and paid for it there and then. Asked them to phone me once it was in so I could get it fitted. I phoned them up last week and was passed from one guy to the next. In the end they said they would get the service guy to ring me back. A week later still no call from them so I drops in to see them. See the service guy who then tells me the part has been in for 4 weeks ! Asks why no-one has bothered to ring me, answer "dunno mate". Asks why he didn't ring me after leaving messages, "dunno mate, no one's told me" And to top it all, the fitting costs are £180 for a bloody switch. Shame they didn't mention that when I originally enquired. It's annoying to think it's people like you and me who keep these type in work by buying from them and as soon as you require or even expect some sort of service, they can't be bothered. That's just one issue, there are more !! I love the car to bitz but I am seriously thinking of dropping it now cos of this. No other KIA dealer for miles. Spose at the end of the day I should have guessed it would be this way, buying a KIA trying to save money was a false economy...in my humble opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Does seem some dealers are letting the brand down, all I can say is, please contact KIA UK with any complaints if you can't get satisfaction from your dealer, KIA UK will send this complaint to the dealer to respond to them within 24 hours, and you will get a result.

Parahandy, what part are you waiting for?
Have they even looked at your car to decide what is actually wrong with it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to all who replied. car is full uk spec and murph i dont know what part im waiting for cos i was told at first point of contact that it was a remapping of ecu but maybe they are renewing ecu harness?? no they havnt seen car. problem is when cruise is set at 60mph or thereabouts it switches itself off, nothing spectacular of a problem i agree but i'm thinking if this is what happens in a minor fault, what sort of service will i get in a vor situation??

yes i know i saved 4k sorentoman but its uk spec built in the same factory as yours so whats the difference?? car was purchased in cyprus (europe) and shipped here 2 uk (europe) car has pan-european warranty so whats the difference?? the diff is 4k in my hip pocket that dealer never got!!!

im quite sure sorentoman you would rather keep the 4k in your hip, no???

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If they are correct in saying it needs an ecu remap, then they are talking out of there arses saying they need to wait for parts, any remapping programs are all on the prgramming card of the Hi-scan diagnostics computer.
There are only 2 ecu upgrades for the Sorento currently, and neither are cruise issues.
I'd say it's more than likely a misadjusted switch for starters, but without even seeing the car I can't make a diagnosis, seems your 'dealer' can.
I think you need to be more forceful, you have a warranty, and you expect it to be honoured!
Get it booked to see why the cruise is disengaging!
Hopefully it's an easily repeatable fault? because it would be easy for them to say, no fault found and do nothing. <_<

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Sorry to hear about these woes. I would like to say that my Dealership's attitude is absolutely impeccable and that goes for my dealings with Kia UK as well. Both of these display superb levels of professionalism as well as patience and forbearance with me as 'dead picky' customer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:D
Roger that .... Sorry parahandy about your problems.
I live in Hereford & my local Kia dealer are a complete waste of space. Once I had parted with the £23,000 + when I went back to them with a problem they didn't want to know. Right from the jerk of a saleman who sold me the car up to the overall garage manager. I won't name the garage but they are a very big chain of garages dealing in other cars as well !!!
I was forced to look for another garage & I came accross Edwards Kia at Worcester. I didnt purchase the car from them but have had the servicing done & other problems sorted out by them. They are all very helpfull & can't do enough to help you. I really can't speak highly enough of them & the moral of this is 'Vote with your feet' Find another garage & don't go back to the one you use now for whatever reason. I now have to travel 30miles instead of 2 but every mile I do I know damn well it is worth it !!
Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks again for all comments. d4dek sorry to hear of your probs but in my opinion the sorento is a excellent car being let down by some dealers "who gives a toss??" attitude. in years gone by it was dodgy far east cars that were as reliable as british rail!! today you have the likes of the sorento which is a product the koreans can be proud of, but without proper back up from dealers.

murph im just off phone to dealer. the part they are waiting for is a "part renewal of ecu wiring harness"?? and will call me when part arrives. to be fair the guy i spoke to seemed to know exactly what he was about and said it was a known fault.
can you throw any more light on this??

I will let you know how things progress
cheers

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
i hope they checked the brake pedel switch adjustment, it can be very touchey concerning cutting out of cruse control.
always look for the easy things first.
i found out how touchy this adjustment is when i install a trailer (carivan) brake controler when i had to connect a sensor wire to the white wire on the brake switch harmess.
then had to readjust the brake switch
i also have a chevy/astro with a brake controler in it and at times if my gas pedel foot hits the SIDE of the brake pedel will disengage the cruse control

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree whole heartedly that the Sorento is good quality buy and meets everything I need from a vehicle in this bracket. It's not the "best" car I have ever owned but for the money it is very good. Just to echo what Murph said, it's a shame the brand is being let down by a handful of dealers who, like it's been said, takes your money and then has the "couldn't give a toss" attitude. There are, I imagine some very good dealers out there, shame mine isn't one of them. And it's not the guys in the workshops, they do a fine job, it's their managers and the other"suits" who take the calls and give customers the run around. A dealership even the brand will live or die by the way they treat their customers and yes, we can vote with our feet and find another dealer to go to. Trouble is there aren't that many around compared to other franchises and really at the end of the day we shouldn't have to go looking elsewhere cos of poor service should we?? Maybe it's that I expect too much from a dealer, I dunno. That said, it isn't just KIA dealers. My wife has an MG TF and the dealer is appalling. She gets all her servicing etc done at a Peugeot garage and they're cheaper. Shame the warranty is now dead and buried though !!! :crying:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

I've been sold on buying a Sorento and am now trying to find the best deal.

parahandy, would you be so kind to post the details of where you purchased your Sorento in "Europe" ;)

Thanks in Advance
Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
paul car was purchased from finnie 4x4 peterhead 01779 473 552, all his vehicles are imported from cyprus so as to keep warranties intact. speak to the man, im sure he will do you a good deal

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to remember if every customer purchased his/her vehicle from another country to get a better deal, there will be no Kia dealers in the UK.

We earn our living from customers purchasing vehicles from us and in return we offer a good after care service.

This could be the reason you are getting problems when dealing with your local retailer.
Most of the Kia dealers in the UK are independently owned businesses and cannot support all their overheads without retail vehicle sales.

I would appreciate any comments on this matter...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kia dealer: its all down to getting the car at the cheapest price, no matter where its sourced. I wouldnt care if car came in to uk via kabul, so long as warranty is intact. kia uk have told me in a round about way that they would rather not touch my car, so as to keep dealers happy!!!! aye right!!!

by eu law they must honour the warranty, cos vehicle was purchased in europe, so now that we brits are aware of this, maybe we should all purchase our cars this way and let britain service, repair and maintain vehicles, or maybe these "dealers" should think about cutting their margin????? dont think so somehow.

I will never purchase a vehicle from a main dealer again, knowing what i know now. the sooner buyers get wise to european warranty the better, then that just might make these "dealers" cut their prices, .............na im being silly!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I second that !
If an individual can bring them in from Cyprus in 'small' quantities, sell them for 4k less than the UK dealers and STILL make a tidy profit.... well

need I say more. :57:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Getting the car as cheap as possible is not only what its all about. There is the after care service you get once the vehicle has been purchased. To some customers this is very important.

Theres nothing worse than spending £18000 on a vehicle only to find that no dealers are interested in looking after the car.

This could be the problem you are having now?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can understand your argument… I really can.
However, I'm interested in the after care KIA are going to give me, it's them I'm paying. The dealers are paid by KIA to deliver their warranty. So regardless of where I purchase the car from I would expect whoever KIA contract to honour their warranty, to do so without prejudice and in a professional manner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts