Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In tinkering around with the controls of my new 2005 Sorento, I seem to have put the altimeter into "trip mode" (according to the owner's manual) in which it resets itself to 0 to show the altitude difference between start & stop points. Unfortunately, the owner's manual doesn't do a very good job of describing how to put it back into normal mode so it will read the current altitude.

BTW, for those who haven't seen much about the '05 yet, I was very happy to see that the EPA highway mileage has increased on the 4x2, now up to 22mpg (California). I know it's not a huge difference, but sounds like Kia is making an effort to address complaints about mileage.

Other changes seem minor - the auto trans now has a shiftmatic style shifter, and they've added some polished aluminum trim on the interior (steering wheel, door handles) on at least the EX. I didn't look at the new LX to see if there were any differences there.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
IIRC you just hold the mode/set button.

Interesting about the changes in the US, here in the UK the 5 speed auto with 'H' matic, has been available for a while, goes really nicely with the diesel engine. All UK models get 'alloy' on the steering wheel, the top line 'XS' gets alloy around shifter, and combo alloy/wood on door trims.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had the same problem with the Altimeter, apparently there is no way to reset it to show the current altitude (or I could not find one).

I solved it by driving to sea level, reset it and now I know the location attitude. :D

If you find a way to reset it let me know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Sep 6 2004, 11:31 AM
IIRC you just hold the mode/set button.

Interesting about the changes in the US, here in the UK the 5 speed auto with 'H' matic, has been available for a while, goes really nicely with the diesel engine. All UK models get 'alloy' on the steering wheel, the top line 'XS' gets alloy around shifter, and combo alloy/wood on door trims.
Still no luck with the altimeter. I can set it to zero by holding the mode/set button, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to read true altitude again. I'll drop by the dealer at lunchtime tomorrow and see if there is a way to do it, or maybe I have a little bug in my console.

As far as the new features go, you guys get all the cool stuff first. We have no diesel option here that I am aware of - just the 3.5L gasoline engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Ilan@Sep 6 2004, 12:28 PM
I had the same problem with the Altimeter, apparently there is no way to reset it to show the current altitude (or I could not find one).

I solved it by driving to sea level, reset it and now I know the location attitude. :D

If you find a way to reset it let me know.
I'm hoping that this is not the case. The owner's manual describes a 'trip altitude' feature, where you hold the mode/set button for a couple of seconds, then it zeros the altimeter (must be what I did in the 1st place.) It's supposed to show you how many feet you climbed or descended to your destination. But surely there's some way to reset it back. I can't imagine that the only way to accurately reset it is to go to the beach. Although, it is a good excuse......

I'm going to stop by the dealer tomorrow at lunchtime and see if they can figure it out for me.

I stumbled across another piece of the owner's manual that's lacking information. The Homelink description (programming the car to open your garage door) leaves out an entire step of the operation. Very confusing. I wound up going to the Homelink web page and getting the correct programming procedure.

All in all, if these are the only problems I have with the car, I'll be extremely happy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts