Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Optima 2.4L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been having some issues with my '09 Optima going dead overnight on me, even when the battery should have been fully charged. I took it into the local parts store and had them run a test on the battery. As I suspected, it appears that the alternator is going on the car. I am looking to change the alternator myself, as I have done it on other cars (not a Kia) without too much trouble. However, I was wondering if anyone had specific pointers for changing the alternator on a 2.4L DOHC Kia or if there were any guides/diagrams anyone could point me to that might be particularly helpful. I'm a patient guy and I have access to all the necessary equipment, but the layout on this engine is a bit different than my previous experience. Any thoughts that you guys could share would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Optima 2.4L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking more into it, it seems that the alternator is in a particularly difficult place to reach, between the power steering fluid pump (on top) and the air compressor (below). I can get to all of the bolts holding it in place, but I am unsure of how to pull the alternator out given where it is wedged in. I haven't taken the splash guard off yet to go at it from below, and I know that I will to do the change, but I am still worried I will have to take out some of the other more major systems to get at it.

Does anyone know if I have to remove one of the other components to get it out? The service manual available through kiatechinfo was only slightly helpful. Anyone have any experience changing an alternator in the 2.4L engine?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts