Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock tires for EX are 235/55R18. I need to buy a set of winters and steels but I don't want to shell out the cash for 18" winter tires. Can someone confirm for me that 235/65R16 are appropriate alternatives?

By my calculations, the total diameters are different by 0.15". I feel like that's an acceptable difference. Opinions?

Thanks!
Alex

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Stock tires for EX are 235/55R18. I need to buy a set of winters and steels but I don't want to shell out the cash for 18" winter tires. Can someone confirm for me that 235/65R16 are appropriate alternatives?

By my calculations, the total diameters are different by 0.15". I feel like that's an acceptable difference. Opinions?

Thanks!
Alex
Yes

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/76841-winter-16-stock-18-mileage-difference.html

Just make sure you get a winter rim with enough offset because there is a small clearance issue on the back end.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
A lot of the Tucson limited owners are going from a size 225/55/18" to a size 215/70/16" snows, a bit narrower for better winter traction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Total diameters are nearly 2" difference...
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
Are you sure? It's giving me 0.15" difference.

Yes

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/76841-winter-16-stock-18-mileage-difference.html

Just make sure you get a winter rim with enough offset because there is a small clearance issue on the back end.
Don't know why I couldn't find that thread. Thanks!
Can you elaborate on the clearance issue?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I forget the specifics but someone last year reported interference between a suspension piece and the wheel weights. Also someone was about to pull the trigger on a set of rims with a +50 offset but those wouldn't clear the brake caliper. A 16" rim with at +40 offset is fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts