Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The center armrest on my 2002 Sportage sucks. Its tiny and has the springloaded slide forward thing. My elbow always hits that button and the armrest shoots forward. Does anyone know of an alternative armrest that could replace the one that is on there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know what you are saying. Our vehicle is a 1998 Sportage, and I'm not sure if there is any similarity between a 1998 and 2002, but we experienced a similar problem. In our case however, the spring loaded armrest initially started to shoot forward if it was bumped accidently with an elbow, and I'm not saying that it was the button being hit. Just slightly bumping the side of the armrest was enough to make it shoot forward. Then eventually, it would shoot forward on its own if the vehicle was driven over a railroad crossing or hit a pothole. Obviously, the latching mechanism for the thing is a poor design, and it was way too sensitive. While the vehicle was still under warranty, we took it to the dealer and complained and they fixed it at no charge. I believe they replaced the entire armrest with a new assembly. The new one has worked perfectly ever since and doesn't shoot forward at all.

You indicated that you hit the button with your elbow. If you are certain of that, very well then. But if you happen to be just accidently bumping the arm rest without even touching the button, then you probably have a latch that is defective and is too sensitive. If you are lucky enough to be still under warranty, it may be worth your effort to complain to the dealer. They may take care of the problem for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts