Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio S 2012 (3-door hatchback)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All.

This is my first time visiting and becoming a member on this forum. Pleased to meet you all.

I purchased my Rio S 2012 (3 doors) last month in Australia in white (as shown in the pictures). Really loving the car so far. I am considering changing the factory steel wheels to alloy wheels, and I have got a few questions, for which I would really appreciate your input!

1) I am planning to keep using the 15" Kumho tyres that came with the car, and this means that I will need to get 15" alloy wheels also. For those of you who own a Rio with 17" alloy wheels, do you notice any loud noise from the wheels when you're on the road? Some reviews have indicated that Rios with 17" alloy wheels sometime have some noise from the wheels, especially at low speed.

2) Do larger wheels lead to better handling, fuel consumption etc.? I still am very new to the automotive world.

2) There are so many choices of alloy wheels out there. I am really overwhelmed by these and having a hard time deciding which to get for my Rio. As my Rio is white, I am considering white alloy wheels, two of which have caught my eyes:
-Advanti Eco (Tech 9 Tyres - Wheels: Advanti Eco)
-OZ Racing Superturismo WRC (O.Z. Superturismo WRC White Painted)

What do you guys think of putting white alloy wheels on a white car? I have seen some pictures of them and they look very good, in my opinion. :)

3) I heard that you should avoid hitting a gutter with your alloy wheels at all cost as this may damage the wheels. Is this statement true? I have heard that alloy wheels are supposed to be stronger and more durable than steel wheels.

Thanks in advance everyone! ^_^

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Welcome fellow Aussie
1. My wife has the SLS with 17" wheels - yes, markedly more noisier and harsher ride on our crap city roads, but I've been in worse - much worse!
2. I'll not get into the argument of road holding, economy, blah, blah, blah with larger wheels. You drive like a dick and you will experience poor performance from any size wheel. It's a Rio . . . drive it to enjoy it, but remember it's NOT a sports car. My suggestion: Go for a 15'' alloy/tyre combo that you can afford (when you need new rubber, not now!) and put the extra cash you have saved towards improving the speakers.
3. Hitting gutters (gutter rash) is not a good idea with any wheel, but more so alloys. Alloys tend to mark up really easily and they are a little more expensive to fix/replace than plastic hub caps . . . in most instances anyway. Just don't do it - learn how to park properly and it won't be a real problem - what out for shopping centre concrete stop-blocks and errant kerbing too!

Enjoy your car and keep tune on here to get as much information as you can. In the mean time, enjoy your car, save for what you really want, but keep it realistic.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 3, 1.4 CRDI, 5 Door.
5 Posts
Hi, I'm no expert but will try answer some questions.

1.1 "I am planning to keep using the 15" Kumho tyres that came with the car, and this means that I will need to get 15" alloy wheels also."

Yes, It's best to keep the over all wheel and tire circumference the same as to avoid issues like not being able to lock the wheel because the tyre makes contact with the wheel arch. There is also an issue with the speedometer/mpg showing the wrong values if the wheel and tyre circumference is greater or less than it is as standard on your car. If you want a bigger wheel say 16" then your tyre should to be a lower profile.

For example: 16" wheel, 185/55 R16 tyre. or 17" wheel, 185/45 R17 tyre.

Also check the width or the wheels you want to buy and make sure they will fit your tyres.

1.2 "17" alloy wheels sometime have some noise from the wheels"

I have the 17" Rio wheels that came with Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres. There is road noise but nothing that I haven't heard from any other B segment car. Whether it's louder or not than yours I can't say, but it's not intrusive to me. As for the low speed road noise...minimal and nothing out of the ordinary.

2.1 "Do larger wheels lead to better handling, fuel consumption etc.? I still am very new to the automotive world."

Wider tyres make more contact with the road so there is more contact which should improve grip. Wider(heavier) tyres should decrease fuel economy. As for bigger in circumference wheels/tyres, I'm not sure they do anything for grip but could decrease fuel economy because of their mass increase.

2.2 "What do you guys think of putting white alloy wheels on a white car?"

This comes down to personal preference. Personally my Rio is also white and absolutely love the 17" wheels. I think the black/silver wheels really make the car look much nicer. White wheels I would not fit to my car nor would I fit plain black. This is absolutely your choice though, and if you search the internet I'm sure you will find some Rio's with those kind of wheels for comparison. Taste is varied :)

3. "I heard that you should avoid hitting a gutter with your alloy wheels at all cost as this may damage the wheels."

I'm not sure what you mean with "gutter" as these look different from country to country, but as a rule I try avoid all gutters/curbs/pot holes. I think it's more dependant on how thick the ratio of tyre to wheel is, whether it's a steel or alloy wheel is less of a factor. Low profile 17" 205/45 R17 tyres will have a harder time absorbing contact where as 15" 185/65 R15 tyres will have more real estate between the wheel and the road and this should soften the blow.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Larger wheels generally do very little. The only time they are of any better is when they are wider but there is a trade off; larger wheels weigh more than the wheels they are replacing. You do come across light weight ones though.

With wheels the part you need to pay attention to is the load rating. That is what can lead to breaking your wheels; fitting cars up with wheels that are not designed to be carrying tbe weight of the car. The wheels I have on my other car dont have a high load rating, they just enough to carry the weight of a small sedan but you see owners putting them on their commodores and puts stress on the wheels.

The biggest difference you will make is your tyres. In fwd cars tyres are everything. There is a tyre out there for whatever your needs are. Especially with the Rio, people that have changed their tyres have noticed the difference. Its not saying the stock tyres are crap, its just the stock tyres are equipped to please the largest amount of people.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome fellow Aussie
1. My wife has the SLS with 17" wheels - yes, markedly more noisier and harsher ride on our crap city roads, but I've been in worse - much worse!
2. I'll not get into the argument of road holding, economy, blah, blah, blah with larger wheels. You drive like a dick and you will experience poor performance from any size wheel. It's a Rio . . . drive it to enjoy it, but remember it's NOT a sports car. My suggestion: Go for a 15'' alloy/tyre combo that you can afford (when you need new rubber, not now!) and put the extra cash you have saved towards improving the speakers.
3. Hitting gutters (gutter rash) is not a good idea with any wheel, but more so alloys. Alloys tend to mark up really easily and they are a little more expensive to fix/replace than plastic hub caps . . . in most instances anyway. Just don't do it - learn how to park properly and it won't be a real problem - what out for shopping centre concrete stop-blocks and errant kerbing too!

Enjoy your car and keep tune on here to get as much information as you can. In the mean time, enjoy your car, save for what you really want, but keep it realistic.
Thanks imay, I do agree many of our roads are not very well maintained. I drive on the motorway from Gold Coast to Brisbane occasionally and many of the road sections are in desperate need of some repairs... :(

My main motivation for changing the wheels is to personalize my car, so I don't really mind whether I get better driving performance, handling etc. Speaking of speakers, which system(s) would make a good upgrade to the built-in ones? I am very happy with the in-car entertainment system but think that the speakers could be better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I'm no expert but will try answer some questions.

1.1 "I am planning to keep using the 15" Kumho tyres that came with the car, and this means that I will need to get 15" alloy wheels also."

Yes, It's best to keep the over all wheel and tire circumference the same as to avoid issues like not being able to lock the wheel because the tyre makes contact with the wheel arch. There is also an issue with the speedometer/mpg showing the wrong values if the wheel and tyre circumference is greater or less than it is as standard on your car. If you want a bigger wheel say 16" then your tyre should to be a lower profile.

For example: 16" wheel, 185/55 R16 tyre. or 17" wheel, 185/45 R17 tyre.

Also check the width or the wheels you want to buy and make sure they will fit your tyres.

1.2 "17" alloy wheels sometime have some noise from the wheels"

I have the 17" Rio wheels that came with Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres. There is road noise but nothing that I haven't heard from any other B segment car. Whether it's louder or not than yours I can't say, but it's not intrusive to me. As for the low speed road noise...minimal and nothing out of the ordinary.

2.1 "Do larger wheels lead to better handling, fuel consumption etc.? I still am very new to the automotive world."

Wider tyres make more contact with the road so there is more contact which should improve grip. Wider(heavier) tyres should decrease fuel economy. As for bigger in circumference wheels/tyres, I'm not sure they do anything for grip but could decrease fuel economy because of their mass increase.

2.2 "What do you guys think of putting white alloy wheels on a white car?"

This comes down to personal preference. Personally my Rio is also white and absolutely love the 17" wheels. I think the black/silver wheels really make the car look much nicer. White wheels I would not fit to my car nor would I fit plain black. This is absolutely your choice though, and if you search the internet I'm sure you will find some Rio's with those kind of wheels for comparison. Taste is varied :)

3. "I heard that you should avoid hitting a gutter with your alloy wheels at all cost as this may damage the wheels."

I'm not sure what you mean with "gutter" as these look different from country to country, but as a rule I try avoid all gutters/curbs/pot holes. I think it's more dependant on how thick the ratio of tyre to wheel is, whether it's a steel or alloy wheel is less of a factor. Low profile 17" 205/45 R17 tyres will have a harder time absorbing contact where as 15" 185/65 R15 tyres will have more real estate between the wheel and the road and this should soften the blow.
Thanks for your comprehensive response P0tenc! I'm still trying to learn about tires and wheel sizes. My tyres are 185/65 R15, and my current steel wheels are
15/5.5. If my new wheels are 15/6, will my current tyres fit? The recommended tyre size for this particular wheel is 185/65 R15 though. Will the 0.5" difference in width of both wheels matter?

I have been looking at some cars on the road, and now I agree with you that black/silver alloy wheels really do look good. I have come across this one which I am very interested in: csa shaker wheel package - Shop and Buy at Discount Prices

·
Registered
595 Posts
Agree, better speakers (+ sub) could make for a much better sound system . . . however, it's my wife's car and she is happy with what she has, so there will be NO upgrades. So I haven't bothered looking around to see what fits, what's available, etc. There is sure to be a speaker topic on here somewhere - have a look.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larger wheels generally do very little. The only time they are of any better is when they are wider but there is a trade off; larger wheels weigh more than the wheels they are replacing. You do come across light weight ones though.

With wheels the part you need to pay attention to is the load rating. That is what can lead to breaking your wheels; fitting cars up with wheels that are not designed to be carrying tbe weight of the car. The wheels I have on my other car dont have a high load rating, they just enough to carry the weight of a small sedan but you see owners putting them on their commodores and puts stress on the wheels.

The biggest difference you will make is your tyres. In fwd cars tyres are everything. There is a tyre out there for whatever your needs are. Especially with the Rio, people that have changed their tyres have noticed the difference. Its not saying the stock tyres are crap, its just the stock tyres are equipped to please the largest amount of people.
Thanks TJ85, if the maximum load for each wheel is 700kg, does that mean the total weight of the car should not exceed 2800kg? Does equipping better tyres result in more superior handling etc.?

·
Registered
Kia Rio 3, 1.4 CRDI, 5 Door.
5 Posts
My tyres are 185/65 R15, and my current steel wheels are
15/5.5. If my new wheels are 15/6, will my current tyres fit? The recommended tyre size for this particular wheel is 185/65 R15 though. Will the 0.5" difference in width of both wheels matter?[/url]
They should be ok, but I can't be sure. Best would be to check your tyre brand's website, it should tell you all the technical information on your tyre. One of these bits of information should be the min/max width, and ideal wheel size for your tyres.

There is some degree of play with wheel width and tyre width, so several different tyre widths should fit one wheel width.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes tyres are everything. It makes a big difference in the Kia too. Depending on tyres you go with you can get rid of the floaty rear end. A few of us here3 have done it with different tyre set ups

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which tyres do you recommend for the Rio? I'm still new to all these so don't really know which brands are good. On my other car (Ford Fiesta), I'm using Falken wheels which give pretty good grip and handling.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Which tyres do you recommend for the Rio? I'm still new to all these so don't really know which brands are good. On my other car (Ford Fiesta), I'm using Falken wheels which give pretty good grip and handling.
I go with Takuma Avanza Sport tyres. Ive had them on both cars and they never failed me until they were almost bald. Grip like anything in the dry, even in wet they grip pretty well. On dirt they give you just the right amount of grip enough to let you have fun if you wanted and very little tram-lining.The noise on them is around the same (both cars have 18"s but were changed from 16 and 17). For the type of tyre they are they last a while. In both Ive got around 42000km out of them.

The only issue with the Takuma tyres are they are very hard to get hold of. Price wise they are mid range; they not cheap but not too expensive either.

Everyone will have their own bias when it comes to tyres. When people find a brand they like they will stick to it. The only thing you need to keep in mind when buying high performance tyres is they are not designed to last a long time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I go with Takuma Avanza Sport tyres. Ive had them on both cars and they never failed me until they were almost bald. Grip like anything in the dry, even in wet they grip pretty well. On dirt they give you just the right amount of grip enough to let you have fun if you wanted and very little tram-lining.The noise on them is around the same (both cars have 18"s but were changed from 16 and 17). For the type of tyre they are they last a while. In both Ive got around 42000km out of them.

The only issue with the Takuma tyres are they are very hard to get hold of. Price wise they are mid range; they not cheap but not too expensive either.

Everyone will have their own bias when it comes to tyres. When people find a brand they like they will stick to it. The only thing you need to keep in mind when buying high performance tyres is they are not designed to last a long time.
Thanks mate. I will keep an eye out for these tyres! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After endless online and magazine browsing, I have decided to go for 15" Oxwheel OX 188 (as shown in the picture). I love them so far :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
After endless online and magazine browsing, I have decided to go for 15" Oxwheel OX 188 (as shown in the picture). I love them so far :)
Wise choice. -And you have a life-time supply of spare steel rims!

Those 17" wheels with low-profile tyres are only for cosmetic purposes. You'll get a better ride on 15" tyres and be less subject to "kerb rash" and when it comes time to get new tyres, the 15" are less expensive. I've had good experiences with Michelin XM2 "Green" and Yokohama A. Drive in 195/65-15.

One thing that is often missed in these discussions is that the low profile of e.g. 215/45-17 tyres is exaggerated by the fact that a greater percentage of the tyre profile is below the wheel rim.

Steel wheels can be easily beaten back into shape, but alloys are are a problem if damaged.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Wry 'Cuda!

I do think 17" wheels do look better than 15" wheels but my friend disagrees (guess it depends on personal preferences). The guys at the Beaurepaires tyre shop told me that 17" wheels would provide better handling as more of the tyres makes contact with the road. Some online articles suggest the same, but also that bigger wheels lead to slightly lower fuel economy (as they are heavier).

Will definitely take a look at those tyres you mentioned when it's time to replace mine. For now I'm quite happy with the Kumho Solus kh25 that came with the car.

Just one quick question regarding tyres in Australia, is it cheaper to buy online and let a local shop fit them for you? Some articles suggest buying from tyres4u site as prices there are very cheap comparing those you buy from Bob Jane or Beaurepaires.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thanks Wry 'Cuda!

I do think 17" wheels do look better than 15" wheels but my friend disagrees (guess it depends on personal preferences). The guys at the Beaurepaires tyre shop told me that 17" wheels would provide better handling as more of the tyres makes contact with the road. Some online articles suggest the same, but also that bigger wheels lead to slightly lower fuel economy (as they are heavier).

Just one quick question regarding tyres in Australia, is it cheaper to buy online and let a local shop fit them for you? Some articles suggest buying from tyres4u site as prices there are very cheap comparing those you buy from Bob Jane or Beaurepaires.
Better handling comes from more rigid walls on the tyres as well as wider contact, but it's not important for everyday driving. Sports cars and hot sedans have wide tyres, but have you looked at the price of replacement tyres? Can't see that there would be much in the added weight (if any). Rally cars typically have narrow tyres for better "bite" on dirt roads.

I have it from the horse's mouth that local tyre shops don't really like fitting 3rd party tyres. I have had tyres swapped around on the rims for $10 each, including balancing, but I did buy the tyres originally from that shop. Blow-ins get charged about $30.

It can take a while to develop a good relationship with a decent tyre outlet, and having found one, I stick with him. I have 3 cars that I look after, and I get pretty good service from my local guy at Tyres Plus.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You don't know the life of the tyres (i.e. how old they already are) you are buying on line. Not suggesting they are past their use by date, but there has to be a good reason for them to be cheaper. Having said that, the latest pair or tyres I bought for my Sportage ended up cheaper from the dealer than I could source anywhere else.
As Wry says above, like a good mechanic, find one, stick with him and you should be looked after.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts