Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Kia Sorento EX which came with Kumho Solas KL21 tires, classified as all season tires but with poor snow and ice ratings. I live in the Catskill Mountains of New York State in the great US of A. We get a lot of snow most years. I do not want to have dedicated snow tires and I am looking for the best on snow All Season tires based on personal experience. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2013 Sorento
4 Posts
You may want to consider having your tires siped. If you don't know what that is you can Google it. The siping may void the tire warrenty but if you are willing to replace the tires anyway this could be a less expensive option to get better traction.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
All season tires are kinda jack-of-all-trades but master of none. If you want to have good traction during winter, winter tires are the only way to go. Same as having summer tires for best dry road grip.

You can get away with all-seasons as long as the snow is very light, and won't build up to ice or slush.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may want to consider having your tires siped. If you don't know what that is you can Google it. The siping may void the tire warrenty but if you are willing to replace the tires anyway this could be a less expensive option to get better traction.
I never heard of this before and it sounds like a great idea but there is no place in my area that does this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All season tires are kinda jack-of-all-trades but master of none. If you want to have good traction during winter, winter tires are the only way to go. Same as having summer tires for best dry road grip.

You can get away with all-seasons as long as the snow is very light, and won't build up to ice or slush.
I'm fully aware that dedicated snow tire are better in snow conditions but there must be someone that is happy with an All Season tire under snow conditions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You realize that even the best all-season tires that can be used in snow should only be used in light snow? If you want proper traction and control, get winter tires (why are you playing with your life? ..and someone else's if you can't get stopped?).

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
Don't forget that it is not just a matter of snow and ice, you also have to consider the temperature drop in the winter.

Winter tires remains softer and provide better grip than 4-season tires even on dry pavement. So if you in an area where the temperature significantly drop below freezing point, get the winter tires and mount them on separate rims so you only have to pay once the cost and after, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
The stock tires that come on the Sorento are very poor in snow. If you really drive any amount in snow, get some Blizzak or Nokians.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I just did a search on tire rack and found that all the Goodyears in your size, the Fortera HL, Assurance Comfortred, and Assurance CS Tripletred, all get the highest marks when it come to snow traction. The TripleTred gets the highest marks overall, but is also the most expensive.

I have installed countless Forteras on GMC Envoys/Chevy Trailblazers(yes, I know, its not the same vehicle), and a few Sorentos, and have never heard any complaints. A friend of mine runs Forteras on his Honda Pilot, and praises them in the snow, but they are noisy.

·
Registered
2013 EX Sorento EX
10 Posts
I was extremely impressed with the Continental DWS tires, looks like they only come in 235/55/18's tho. We had these on a New Beetle here in Minnesota, I was honestly amazed. We ran these year round with no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was extremely impressed with the Continental DWS tires, looks like they only come in 235/55/18's tho. We had these on a New Beetle here in Minnesota, I was honestly amazed. We ran these year round with no issues.
My first choice was the Continental Cross Contact LX20 but unfortunately they are out of stock and are not expect in until at least 8 weeks. So I decided to go with the Goodyear Assurance CS Triple Tred All Season tires. Expensive!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
I've always had a set of winters and a set of summers in the end it runs the same money you'll get more out of the summer tires and winter tires and if you have them mounted on their own rims they will last a lot longer. Just my two cents, besides it's much safer driving with winters on then all seasons, you're life means more to you then a few hundred bucks isn't it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two tires you should be happy with:
-Nokian WR G2 SUV
-Vredestein Quatrac 3 SUV.
I have the Nokians on my Lexus RX and the Vredesteins on my Sorento.

Both are a little more expensive than regular tires but they both wear very well and no need to change tires with the seasons. Both have UTQG ratings as well as the 'Severe winter' 'Snowflake' symbol.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I was driving around last night in about 3-4" of sloppy wet snow on the factory rubber. I was surprised how well it did. However, I live in a city environment where the roads get plowed pretty quickly. If I was out in the boonies or taking it to the ski slopes, I'd definitely go with dedicated snows in the winter.

Best,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive done quite a bit of research on this latley. Tire codes show M/S as Mud/Snow however i can tell you that the stock Khumo (sp?) that were on mine were all over the place. The traction light was flashing in the driveway. At 33k miles i was about due for new tires anyway so i wanted something that was ice and snow but i didnt have to change off in the spring. I ended on the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow (They were actually just installed this morning). On dry pavement they are very smooth, not as sporty as the stock ones but not like a marshmallowy low PSI float like you get with some studless I/S tires. I talked to some guys locally who use these tires also and they run them year round. So rather than an AT tire you might look at something thats winter that you can run year round.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Ive done quite a bit of research on this latley. Tire codes show M/S as Mud/Snow however i can tell you that the stock Khumo (sp?) that were on mine were all over the place. The traction light was flashing in the driveway. At 33k miles i was about due for new tires anyway so i wanted something that was ice and snow but i didnt have to change off in the spring. I ended on the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow (They were actually just installed this morning). On dry pavement they are very smooth, not as sporty as the stock ones but not like a marshmallowy low PSI float like you get with some studless I/S tires. I talked to some guys locally who use these tires also and they run them year round. So rather than an AT tire you might look at something thats winter that you can run year round.
Those are decent tires. You're going to wear them out pretty quickly if you leave them on year-round. You definitely won't get anywhere near 33k miles on them.

Best,

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
A top rated tire in ANY category!

Size: 235/65/17" tires

Surveys-Good, Reviews-Good!, Price- Reasonable! I had just put these on my 2010Tucson, right before it got totaled.

A smooth quiet comfortable ride, plus plenty of siping for the rain, & snow.
Firestone*Precision Touring

Size: 235/60/18" tires

Surveys-Good!, Reviews-Good!, Price-reasonable!

Yokohama*Parada Spec-X

Also in 235/60/18",

These have the same great specs, & ratings, as the Cooper CS-4 Touring.
Reasonable as well!

COOPER*DISCOVERER CTS Reviews

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento I4 FWD 6Spd, 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6Spd
118 Posts
Two tires you should be happy with:
-Nokian WR G2 SUV
-Vredestein Quatrac 3 SUV.
I have the Nokians on my Lexus RX and the Vredesteins on my Sorento.

Both are a little more expensive than regular tires but they both wear very well and no need to change tires with the seasons. Both have UTQG ratings as well as the 'Severe winter' 'Snowflake' symbol.
Where can you buy Vredestein car tires? All I can find are web outlets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure where you can find them in Ohio - I purchased mine in Toronto at Let's Roll Tire Ltd. Just finished road-trip around the US and have 10,000 miles on - no evidence of any wear yet.

·
Registered
04 Frontier V6 4WD; 2011 Sorento LX I-4, 6 spd auto AWD, Titanium, 3rd seat and PKG#1
221 Posts
Realizing that it is fashionable to deride {[email protected]@t on} the OEM Kumho tires, I'd like to say that after 31,000 mi I'm running to my job at Sam's Club 4 days a week==14 mi x2 on secondary roads== and we've had a lot of SNOW here in Maine.

Drive sanely {?} and no slips or problems, just like in July. On the OEM Kumho tires. I have no axe to grind and no bias of any kind. I rest my case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts