Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many know, i continue to research vehicles until I'm able to get one. The one comment I see on the Soul(top car on my list)regularly is the higher speed road noise. Have they made any adjustments to the suspension, seating or sound insulation?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
I always appreciate your knowledge. I have read all the changes and checked out the Kia site. However, I'm more interested in the changes you can't see...ie. sound deadening and insulation. I sent the question to contact on website, but have not yet received a response from Kia. Have you made any more changes to your Soul? I'm at [email protected]
sound deadening and insulation was a major feature and clearly stated for 2012, so I suspect no change in that area for 2013, but can't say that for certain.

no further changes on mine, what's shown in my GARAGE link on the left is current. :)

·
Registered
'02 Kia Spectra, '11 Sorento Dark Cherry EX AWD V6
83 Posts
Yeah i am looking into a new car (quick story my gal broke off our 16 year relationship so she got the 2011 Sorento and I got the 2002 Spectra) so time to get what I want..

So far looking the last month want something sporty, has some get up and go, good mpg. So far everything has been leaning toward the Soul.. when I do get a new car will not be till spring/summer of 2013.

But always nice to keep up on improvements from past models.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
Not sure exactly what speed is considered "high speed" for road noise, but for what it's worth, My 2012 zips down the road (up to 80mph) smoothly and quietly. I have well over 14000 miles on it now, and have driven it on long trips (10 hours at a time). I have zero complaints regarding noise, or stability. It is considerably quieter than my Rio was , or my old Civic, or my Dodge Ram pickup, and when compared to my Wife's 2005 Durango limited, it(Soul) has a bit more road noise but less wind noise. The Durango is a wayyyy heavier vehicle and leans towards luxury. I suspect the Soul's road noise is mostly related to the tires, and I plan on replacing my originals (when worn out) with Michelins which claim to be much quieter. But I am not complaining about noise at all. Get the UVO and you will be so busy listening to the music you won't hear road noise anyway. :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul 2U AT silver
35 Posts
I suspect the Soul's road noise is mostly related to the tires, and I plan on replacing my originals (when worn out) with Michelins which claim to be much quieter. But I am not complaining about noise at all.
Bingo!
Different tire rubber compounds and hardness plus tread pattern may cause road noise to varying degrees.
Note: at the local dealership, I noticed the exact same model of Soul may have different brands of tires on them.
Our Soul arrived with several other Kia Soul 2Us at the same time off the same car carrier.
We went to look at ours and I inspected some of the other Soul 2Us at the same time in the compound and noticed two different tire brands on them.
The tire size remained the same.
I have Hankook Optimo H426 tires on my 2013 Soul 2U A/T.
The dealer actually took all the foam pads, plastic wheel covers, plastic wraps and shipping protection, etc. off the Soul right in the compound and let us take it for a quick spin with vaild license plates on it of course.
We got to (test) drive it first right out of the compound right after delivery.
Oh, what a feeling.
Then we had to wait for about a week for the pre-deliver inspection, undercoating, remote start installation, etc. before we actually got to drive it again.
What a long wait.
But what a thrill when we actually got the keys for keeps and drove it off the dealership lot and HOME!
No looking back.
We love our Soul.

Cheers. GotSoul

·
Registered
'13 Soul 2.0+ Manual
24 Posts
I bought a 2.0 manual transmission Soul in November. The engine's got a little "growl" to it, but heck, I like it.

It corners well but I'm actually looking forward to the tires wearing out to replace them with some top of the line Goodyears that I bought for another car.

·
Registered
2014 Soul Base, Standard
15 Posts
I just bot a 2013 Soul Base and have had it on the highway a few times. Road noise was not really noticeable.

Be prepared for a slightly bumper ride. It seems the Soul has some pretty hefty shocks and suspension. Almost like a sports car. I'm not saying I can feel every bump in the road, but it is pretty stiff.

But I also like this, so it works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts