Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L. 2006 Acura MDX. 2002 Infiniti Q45
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a used 2015 Sedona SXL (48k) from a Nissan dealer. Maintenance plan was included. The first time they changed my oil and rotated tires my alignment was off. Dilemma is the dealership is 3 hrs away. SO i bought a groupon for alignment and rotation closer to home. Alignment better but still off. This week I went for service at the Nissan dealer where it was serviced and had them to re-align the vehicle. My steering wheel is centered but it pulls harshly to the left. Their tech stated electronic power steering may need to recalibration and I should take it to Kia. Any insight into power steering sensor needing to be recalibrated? I have an appointment at Kia for Saturday. I need some insight before they overcharge me for infamous "blinker fluid" .

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L
55 Posts
Which values are off in the alignment, did you get a printout?

The electric steering should have nothing to do with the alignment, which is set mechanically. Recalibration usually has to do with the steering wheel position sensor which affects stability control and related safety systems.

If you have a pull to the left, my thought is that something mechanical is causing that. Did you get a Carfax report when purchasing, do you know of any previous accidents?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The electric steering should have nothing to do with the alignment, which is set mechanically. Recalibration usually has to do with the steering wheel position sensor which affects stability control and related safety systems.

If you have a pull to the left, my thought is that something mechanical is causing that. Did you get a Carfax report when purchasing, do you know of any previous accidents?
Car fax was great and so was the steering until I got the tires rotated by the Nissan dealer I bought it from. It is about 3.5hrs from my house so it's not convenient to go there. I had a local place do a 4wheel alignment but it would still pull hard to the left. When I went for included service at Nissan they convinced me the master tech could do it. Now it pulls super hard to the left. Took it to Kia and they reset the power steering sensor and it is better but still a slight pull. Kia says they need to do the alignment. So I will get the service and things I can't myself at KIA going fwd. Now that I think about it KIA did not give me the spec sheet but tires+ did. When I complained they re-did the alignment and said it was way off. In a matter of 3 days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO i took it to Kia and they did another alignment which made everything worse. They told me something is wrong with the electronic power steering and I need a new rack and pinion for about $3.5k. I have an extended service plan that they are trying to get the repair approved through. What makes me perturbed is they did the alignment knowing it would not fix the problem. Charged me $100 for the alignment and will charge me another $100 for my deductible. Let's see how this goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I've had 4 alignments and each time it shows that the alignment is way off. Although no potholes or anything harsh has been hit. I'm at the point just get it fixed because driving it is a fight.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
779 Posts
There is a chance that suspension is out of whack and thoughtless aligning it without taking into consideration that fact would make it worse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO for a little update. The inspector from the warranty company came to Kia to inspect the steering, etc. Noticed both control arm bushings were visibly worn and needed replacing before paying out for a new rack. You think Kia service would have noticed that before a $3.5k quote for a rack. Guess they thought I was going to just swipe. Another update tomorrow after the new story unfolds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok finally another update. Replaced lower control arms where the bushings are located. Problem became worse. I honestly think they left something loose. 4 days later i take it back. Now suddenly i need 4 new tires before the warranty company will authorize any more repairs. I’m sitting at a different dealer today to have new less greedy eyes take a look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New update with a smile.
I took the Sedona to a different dealer. Explained that lower control arms were replaced but somethings not right.
Their tech noticed the bolts for the LCS were very different size and a specific bolt was needed. So it appears the first dealership lost the bolt and tried to piece it together. The nut was almost rounded out from them trying to get it tight enough. So the correct bolt was ordered and installed yesterday. No more clicking, weird pulling or sudden weirdness. This guy didn't charge me labor or for the part. So i ordered several pizzas for their lunch and the techs. Least I could do for them following up on someone eles' shoddy work, correcting it and did NOT charge me a dime.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good for you. I think I would use that dealer from here on out. And it won't hurt that the techs WILL remember the pizza.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts