Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just took my 2005 Kia Sorento in for some odds and ends and told them that my Passenger Air Bag Off Light is staying on even when people well over 100 lbs are in the seat. They said it was an issue but that haven't figured out how to correct it yet. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
77 Posts
My light comes on when the wife sits in the passenger seat. Oh sorry i'm getting confused thats the windbag light :D

Seriously no i've never heard of that one before, not even on other makes of car.

Is there some sort of pressure sensor in the seat or is linkrd to the seat belt system?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 6 week old 2005 LX. I've read about the problem on other forums - but so far I've yet to hear about a solution.

Does anyone know if it's just an indicator problem - or - is the air bag actually off?
If it is actually off - it presents a bit of a safety problem for anyone riding in the passenger seat. You'd think that KIA would be all over the issue like a fat kid on a twinkie.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Whilst we're on this subject - Are we saying that the airbag does not inflate below a certain weight for the front passenger seat on a front impact?

i.e. If a child is in the front weighing a few lbs, the airbag will not inflate. Whereas with an adult, it will????

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by SorentoOwner@Mar 1 2005, 03:55 AM
Whilst we're on this subject - Are we saying that the airbag does not inflate below a certain weight for the front passenger seat on a front impact?

i.e. If a child is in the front weighing a few lbs, the airbag will not inflate. Whereas with an adult, it will????

Yes - exactly. That's my understanding anyway.

It may be a mute point though. If the sensor system doesn't work properly - you could have an elephant sitting in the seat and the air bag wouldn't work. Or, as I mentioned before, it could just be an indicator problem meaning that the air bag would work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by ZZippper@Mar 1 2005, 06:42 PM
Yes - exactly. That's my understanding anyway.

It may be a mute point though. If the sensor system doesn't work properly - you could have an elephant sitting in the seat and the air bag wouldn't work. Or, as I mentioned before, it could just be an indicator problem meaning that the air bag would work.
A friend of mine recently had a similar problem with his Jaguar S type and found that it is a common problem with the seat switch being triggered because the seat has sagged slightly.
Jaguars solution has been to reduce the sensitivity of the switch in all affected vehicles (I assume by software reprogram or repositioning the switch).

This may help resolve the problem if the Sorento has a similar setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by Ian Malthouse@Mar 1 2005, 02:59 PM
A friend of mine recently had a similar problem with his Jaguar S type and found that it is a common problem with the seat switch being triggered because the seat has sagged slightly.
Jaguars solution has been to reduce the sensitivity of the switch in all affected vehicles (I assume by software reprogram or repositioning the switch).

This may help resolve the problem if the Sorento has a similar setup.

Interesting...

One problem though. It seems that your describing a situation where the seat sensor on the JAG was keeping the airbag turned on even if the seat was empty. The problem on the Sorento is the opposite. The seat sensor is keeping the airbag off - even when the seat is occupied. The JAG problem would be more of an inconveience as the airbag would deploy regardless of an empty/full seat, whereas the Sortento problem appears to be an actual safety issue since the airbag won't deploy regardless of an empty/full seat.

This, of course, assumes that the Sorento problem is a seat sensor problem as opposed to a minor indicator glitch. Which of these is the case is still unclear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Its a known issue that requires the whole bottom piece of the seat to be replaced, cant purchase the weight sensors seprately.

And its actually a saftey issue, seeing most people under 100lbs sit close to the dash the air bag tends to do more harm than good. and it prevents deployment when no ones in there anyways, its about 900 for a pasg side air bag module.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:( Just purchased my Sorento last weekend. First night the airbag off light stayed on when my wife was in the seat. She moved all over to try to get it off, but it stayed on. Stopped the car and turned off the ignition and restarted; the light went off. Alittle worried it will be a problem. If the light is on indicating the airbag is off your loved one is NOT protected in a collision. Kia needs quick attention to the issue. Love the rest of the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NEVER MIND SEE BELOWFrom what they told me there is two airbags and that the main one will go off. They really didn't know what was wrong but that I could stop the car turn it off and that should re-engage the bags? Now that is what they told me at the service center in my town. I am no "CAR" person so I hope I got that all right. :D NEVER MIND SEE BELOW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is my point.. I think it will work well some of it .. they need to issue some sort of statement I think. I will look into it further today and post what I find out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After calling Kia 800.333.4KIA. There is an "issue" but again they are not sure what is causing it, but are working on finding out. There will be something sent out when a resolution is found but the service represenative stated that he didn't think KIA would put any thing out there until the problem was figured out. He suggested I read the manual (which I have done) about how the airbag works, and postitioning of the person could be the issue??? Anyhow, he also said that some owners were putting a folded towel in the seat to help. MOST IMPORTATLY - - when that light is ON the AIRBAG IS NOT engaged regardless if someone is in the seat or not.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,115 Posts

NO!
there are sensor/s located in front bumper and if you have side airbags there are sensors in the door.
My airbag light is on and it is due to a bad airbag sensor (they have a name for it i call it that).
replace it and you will be good. the light doesnt mean it will not inflate its just there is an error detected (it might not inflate also).
get it checked immediatly. it is a saftey concern. also if you did get into accidnet and it did not inflate they might not be liable to pay for car. the ecu in these vehicles store memory and they can tell if you neglected the car or warning lights. i think it generally stores almost 3 days of info.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
1fastkia is right. The reason I had never of this issue is because I had never heard of sensors in the seats. I though that it might have been different in other countries. But now the more I think of sensors in the seats the more it sounds weird. lol In an event of an accident both airbags will deploy if hit head on even if no one is in the passenger seat. That makes much more sense. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by 04Sorento@Mar 3 2005, 06:30 PM
1fastkia is right. The reason I had never of this issue is because I had never heard of sensors in the seats. I though that it might have been different in other countries. But now the more I think of sensors in the seats the more it sounds weird. lol In an event of an accident both airbags will deploy if hit head on even if no one is in the passenger seat. That makes much more sense. lol

<_<
Actually, I am about 99.9% sure that's not true. The seat sensors are apparently new in the 2005 Sorento and they are there specifically to shut off the passenger side airbag if the front passenger seat is empty - or - if the person seated in the front passenger seat is too small/light (i.e. a 10 yr old kid).

The idea behind this feature is simple. The passenger airbag can actually do more damage to a small person than good. Haven't you heard the stories from a few years back about kids (seated in the front passenger seat) getting their necks broken by the force of the airbag? This is not a Sorento thing - or even a KIA thing - it applies to all cars equipped with front passenger air bags.

Anyway, that's what this feature is intended to fix. Unfortunately, the sensor is flaky (in some cases) rendering the front passenger airbag inactive (apparently) even when the front passenger seat is occupied by a large enough/heavy enough adult.

·
Premium Member
6,115 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by 1fastkia@Mar 4 2005, 02:33 PM
This would be a stupid feature as some states allow 10 yr olds in front seat. there is no national law it varies state to state.
This is exactly why they have this feature. If there was a national law prohibiting 10 yr olds in the front passenger seat - the feature would be unnecessary. But, because there may be 10 yr olds sitting in this seat in some states, they installed this feature to make sure that their necks wouldn't be broken by the front passenger airbag in the event of a front end collision.

·
Premium Member
6,115 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts