Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My airbag light has come on and wont go off. nothin is wrong with the car it still runs good if anyone knows how to reset it that would be great. its for a 2001 rio 4 dr manual transmission

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, you could try taking the negative battery terminal off of the battery and waiting about a minute. That's supposed to reset engine light codes I believe. It might work for air bag lights too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is my understanding and from experience this is common among a lot of KIA models. I had this same problem with my daughter's 2001 Optima. Under each of the front seats there is a wiring harness for the seat sensor. Check each harness to see if it has come unplugged. In my case the harness was not unplugged but corroded. I cleaned the connection and presto! The light went out and has not come back on since.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Disconnecting the battery will erase engine codes and turn off the light. For the airbag system, disconnecting the battery will not erase the codes, but will turn off the light provided the problem is gone. If your problem is the connector under the seat and you repair it, the light will turn off but the code will remain in the system. Be sure to disconnect the battery at least a minute or two before you attempt to fix any airbag related problem.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
52 Posts
If you have a friend in the autobody business take it to them and have them reset the codes. If that doesnt work you might just have to replace the module. I have the same issue but I do not know where the module is located.

·
Registered
04 sedona,94 suburban,97 sephia Tuned & ported
35 Posts
Dont go replaceing any parts untill you find out what the code is, it may be a cheap sensor all the way up to a expensive airbag itself,,,,,there are about 10 diffrent components it could be..........try taking the car up to a autoparts store and ask them to scan the car for codes, most parts stores here do this for no charge at all......if you cant do that , take it into your local dealer and pay the diag charge to at least know what the problem is........should be a small 1/2 hour diag charge to hook up the scan tool and run a few tests.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 spectra5 airbag light will not go out. The repair place said it was the control module so I bought one on ebay and replaced the old one but the light still stays on. However when I have the module (either one) not touching metal the light stays off. As soon as the module touches metal the light stays on. Leads me to believe there is a short someplace in the wiring. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
52 Posts
Yes that sounds like a short in the module. I know this is a little far fetched but you might have bought a bad module with the same issue. I would check the connector and wires to the module first to make sure there isnt an open circuit somewhere. Also who told you it was the module? My issue was there was an open circuit at the r/f seatbelt. Found it and so far its been good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts