Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My airbag light has been on for about 4 months. My car was hit from behind, the airbags did not activate, the other car was only going about 20 to 25 mph and the damage was light. But ever since i got the car back from the auto body shop my airbag light has been on and the dealer wants about $100 to scan it. Is it possible there is a crash code in the computer setting it off even though the airbags never activated. Is there a scanner i can buy to do it myself, one that reads engine & airbag codes.

·
Registered
'11 Optima EX 2.4L GDI Automatic
330 Posts
Alright, third post. Sorry but the answer is the same as the first two. If your concerned about money what I would do is contact the body shop and tell them that something is messed up after their work and see what they would do to try to resolve the issue.

But your going to cough up more than $100 for a scanner that would read a code that concerns the airbag (most likely $3000 or so) so just cough up the $100 and find out what's wrong with your airbag sensor and stay safe!

·
Registered
2010 Sedona; 2003 Optima; 1990 Accord
8 Posts
check under the seat

I've had multiple issues with the airbag light on my 2003 Optima, and each time it was a loose wire connector under either the driver seat or the passenger seat. I would check that before spending any money or time at a dealer.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's kind of difficult to get under the seat when your disabled, total Knee replacement. I can ask my son to look, witch wires should he be looking for. My first two posts were my first in this forum. I tried to delete the first two so i could explain my problem better in my next post. Thanks for your help in this matter.

·
Registered
'11 Optima EX 2.4L GDI Automatic
330 Posts
First a few questions, as I've come across some while looking into the issue.

Are you seeing the Airbag Warning light? Or just the 'Passenger Off' light?

If you are seeing the 'Passenger Off' light even when the seat is occupied then the wiring harness and/or seat sensor could be the problem. Just under the seat there should be a wire running from the inside of the seat cushions to the floor board, usually this is inside a black wire wrap but it has a white plastic connector piece at some point. Usually the connector gets worn, rusted, or disconnected for some reason. If the connector isn't bad it could be the sensor in the seat. I'm not certain where it is and I can't find a picture to be more specific.

If you are seeing the Airbag Warning light have you recently had to jump your car off? Sometimes a low battery can cause an issue with the low/high voltage of the airbag system. If it is not a battery issue you could try to find someone with a standard vehicle scanner to look for a DTC, failing that a GDS scanner could possibly return a more specific code if you don't get a DTC. Some quick lube places and service stations offer free diagnostic checks which would let you know if there was a DTC but not many would have a GDS scanner.

If you get a code here is the listing of the errors:
B1111 Battery voltage too high
B1112 Batteru voltage too low
B1346 DAB resistance too high
B1347 DAB resistance too low
B1348 DAB Short ground
B1349 DAB Short battery
B1355 PAB Short to battery
B1352 PAB resistance too high
B1353 PAB resistance too low
B1354 PAB Short to ground
B1363 Driver BPT Short to ground
B1364 Driver BPT Short to battery
B1369 Passenger BPT Short to ground
B1370 Passenger BPT Short to battery
B1378 DSAB Resistance too high
B1380 Driver SAB Short to ground
B1381 Driver SAB Short to battery
B1382 PSAB Resistance too high
B1383 PSAB Resistance too low
B1397 DSAB Resistance too low
B1400 Satellite left side defect
B1401 Satellite right side short to ground
B1402 Satellite left side short to battery
B1403 Satellite right side defect
B1406 PPD front-Passenger defect
B1407 Passenger Presence Detection Front-Passenger Communication Error
B1408 Satellite left communication error
B1410 Satellite right communication error
B1511 Driver seat belt buckle switch short to battery
B1512 Driver seat belt buckle switch to groundor short
B1513 Passenger seat belt buckle switch short to battery
B1514 Passenger seat belt buckle switch to ground or short
B1620 Internal fault
B1650 Crash recorded front airbag
B1655 Crash recorded side airbag
B1657 Ignition recorded belt pretensioner
B1661 ECU mismatching
B2500 Warning Lamp Failure
If you have the Airbag Warning light and you cannot get a scan done you will want to take your car to the dealership as there could be some serious issue with the Airbag system and you could have an issue occur down the line like an accidental deployment.

Hope this helps, let us know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts