Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air Conditioning airflow suddenly reduced like the fan was turned down or the vents were partially plugged but the fan was at full speed. After shutting 2016 Kia Sorento EX and having it sit for a while I restarted the vehicle and all worked normally. Is this a sign of something going wrong, what do you think could be the problem?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is this after driving for a certain amount of time? I have had similar issues after driving consisently for an 1-2 hours non stop when I have to blowing at a high fan speed. Ive run into this enough times to ask the dealer but they could not replicate. I didn't pursue further as I rarely do long drives. But by chance I will be this weekend, so I will see if it happens again for me.

But yeah, I could pull to a rest stop to fill up at a gas station and after those few minutes, when I restart its back to normal.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you bump the fan speed one way or the other once, does the display indicate "Auto" with the 'windshield' icon displayed? These vehicles are notorious for attempting to defog the windshield, even at 85F if the humidity is high enough and you have the humidity sensor in your trim package. The fan appears weak, and ceases to blow very cold air until the sensor is satisfied that the humidity is safely low enough (joke).

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
Air Conditioning airflow suddenly reduced like the fan was turned down or the vents were partially plugged but the fan was at full speed. After shutting 2016 Kia Sorento EX and having it sit for a while I restarted the vehicle and all worked normally. Is this a sign of something going wrong, what do you think could be the problem?
Is this after driving for a certain amount of time? I have had similar issues after driving consisently for an 1-2 hours non stop when I have to blowing at a high fan speed. Ive run into this enough times to ask the dealer but they could not replicate. I didn't pursue further as I rarely do long drives. But by chance I will be this weekend, so I will see if it happens again for me.

But yeah, I could pull to a rest stop to fill up at a gas station and after those few minutes, when I restart its back to normal.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
770 Posts
Possible your condenser is frozen up. Air will flow again when it thaws out.
I don't know if there is a filter you can change, but on a home window unit the same thing happens when the filter is clogged.
OR. It could be a thermostat problem in the unit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Post deleted, as post #3 says the same thing I typed.. Seems this forum does not allow deleting a post..

·
Registered
72 Posts
is your phone connected thru bluetooth? if so, the phone is sending something to your head unit. head unit thinks you are on the phone and turns the fan down.

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
It happens too when you make a phonecall through BT, maybe it thought you were?
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay. I did my long drive today and it happened. Again. I'll write a full post later as I'm on my phone. But after driving 3 hours in 95F heat. Had to stop 4 times to get cold ac and fan speed to restore.

EDIT:

1 hours into my drive the AC fan became loud (similar noise as the defroster (not its not on)) and the air flow is a trickle, on the highest its equivilent to maybe the second lowest setting. The longer I drive the air becomes luke warm despite being on low.

I stopped for 10 minutes. Resumed and air flow was back and AC was ice cold. 20-25 minutes later I was back in the same spot as before. As a test. I pulled off the road, turned car off then back on, same issue (so now I know its not a simple restart). I then stopped later at a gas station for 3 minutes exact and hen resumed my drive. AC was maybe 90% better but it seemed to not be fully back to normal and not even 10-15 minutes later it was back to how it was.

So yes, I think the freezing scenario sounds accurate. I am not sure if it is ambient temp dependant, but it was 95F the whole drive. Also for those who might suggest, no it was not the defroster, and yes I disabled the humidity sensor doing the little trick I found in my manual, and no its not a bluebooth phone call or something like that triggering the flow to decrease.

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
Okay. I did my long drive today and it happened. Again. I'll write a full post later as I'm on my phone. But after driving 3 hours in 95F heat. Had to stop 4 times to get cold ac and fan speed to restore.

eg.
California, USA

·
Registered
770 Posts
I am 95% sure it is freezing. No air will come out of the vents when the condensor freezes. When you stop, the very thin sheet of frost melts off and you get air again. A big symptom of this would be if the air that comes out at first feels very moist. Because until it all settles down it would be blowing moist air from the melted frost on the coils.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am 95% sure it is freezing. No air will come out of the vents when the condensor freezes. When you stop, the very thin sheet of frost melts off and you get air again. A big symptom of this would be if the air that comes out at first feels very moist. Because until it all settles down it would be blowing moist air from the melted frost on the coils.
I did some googling and came across this in the sportage forum. It seems semi similar.

I am dropping my car off for service tomorrow morning. Based off what you say and what I have read you may be right. I am the second owner, so I believe my warranty ends at 60k miles. I am at 48k. I only do drives like this maybe once or twice a year and not often does it happen on a scorthing hot day where the issue makes itself apparent. I hope they do not give me too much hassle, but I will put up a fight if they do.

Also I edited my post above with more details.

·
Registered
146 Posts

eg.
USA

Can you just stop doing that? It's getting pretty tiresome. It's already bad enough we have to use this new nasty forum. We had a good system for it, why it got removed is not my problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
Can you just stop doing that? It's getting pretty tiresome. It's already bad enough we have to use this new nasty forum. We had a good system for it, why it got removed is not my problem.
Easy way to be rid of the prompts is to do as requested, ....... and read the forum rules and the PM just sent to you.

eg.
USA

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

·
Registered
770 Posts
I did some googling and came across this in the sportage forum. It seems semi similar.

I am dropping my car off for service tomorrow morning. Based off what you say and what I have read you may be right. I am the second owner, so I believe my warranty ends at 60k miles. I am at 48k. I only do drives like this maybe once or twice a year and not often does it happen on a scorthing hot day where the issue makes itself apparent. I hope they do not give me too much hassle, but I will put up a fight if they do.

Also I edited my post above with more details.
Years ago I had a Pontiac Grand Am with the Quad Four engine. Total nightmare. When I would drive across I-80 from NY to Ohio in July, the same thing would happen.
I may be totally off base here, but what I think is happening is that due to the extreme outside temps the compressor just keeps running and the condenser freezes up eventually. On the Pontiac if I would turn OFF the AC for a few minutes, then turn it back on, it would literally blow mist at me for a while as the clog broke up.
never got it fixed, I can only recall it happening on that 500 mile summer run.
Probably there is some kind of sensor that is supposed to cycle the compressor to prevent this. I doubt the dealer will be able to duplicate it, on my car it only happened on the highway after several hours at max AC on a hot day. That car did not have Climate Control, so it was all or nothing on a hot day. On my 2019 I have to turn the temp up to 70-72 on the highway it just gets too cold. I suspect if I let it run on max the same thing could happen. So it may actually be a problem with the Climate Control system - once you are a couple of miles into your ride, you should not need to keep it on the coldest setting, even on a hot day.

·
Registered
836 Posts
First, it would be the evaporator, not the condenser that freezes up. The evaporator is on the inside. The condenser is on the outside. You wont' find any ice out there on a summer day!

The trick is to locate the evaporator coil to see if it's really iced up, and that's not usually very easy to do, certainly not on this vehicle. On a Sorento, it's stuck back behind the blower and the heater core.

However, if it is indeed frozen up, there will be an unusual time pattern to the drainage from the condensate tube that leads away from the evap coil area to the bottom of the vehicle. Normally, the condensate liquid is expelled quickly. If you park the vehicle and shut it off, and you can sit and see nothing for a while, and only significantly later start to see the dripping begin and continue, and it amounts to a fair bit of water, that could well indicate the melting of ice in the evap coil.

There are some classic ways to ice up an evaporator, but low air flow while demanding very cold temperatures is certainly one of them. Yes, that can be done to a vehicle, too. Poor flow through the cabin air filter or setting too many vents closed or the fan very low with low temperature settings will both do it if the humidity is high enough and the ambient is right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll let you know what happens. I doubt they will replicate as the next few days the temps are forcasted to be a bit lower. But damn is this a frustrating issue. If I do road trips on summer days I don't want to have to stop every 30-60 minutes to keep my ac working. That is insane.. my 93 firebird formula doesn't have this issue. Nor did my old 05 3.5 altima.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'll let you know what happens. I doubt they will replicate as the next few days the temps are forcasted to be a bit lower. But damn is this a frustrating issue. If I do road trips on summer days I don't want to have to stop every 30-60 minutes to keep my ac working. That is insane.. my 93 firebird formula doesn't have this issue. Nor did my old 05 3.5 altima.
Try turning off the AC for a few minutes if it happens again. If it is frozen, it will thaw quickly and start working again, and probably blow out a lot of moisture.

·
Registered
770 Posts
First, it would be the evaporator, not the condenser that freezes up. The evaporator is on the inside. The condenser is on the outside. You wont' find any ice out there on a summer day!

The trick is to locate the evaporator coil to see if it's really iced up, and that's not usually very easy to do, certainly not on this vehicle. On a Sorento, it's stuck back behind the blower and the heater core.

However, if it is indeed frozen up, there will be an unusual time pattern to the drainage from the condensate tube that leads away from the evap coil area to the bottom of the vehicle. Normally, the condensate liquid is expelled quickly. If you park the vehicle and shut it off, and you can sit and see nothing for a while, and only significantly later start to see the dripping begin and continue, and it amounts to a fair bit of water, that could well indicate the melting of ice in the evap coil.

There are some classic ways to ice up an evaporator, but low air flow while demanding very cold temperatures is certainly one of them. Yes, that can be done to a vehicle, too. Poor flow through the cabin air filter or setting too many vents closed or the fan very low with low temperature settings will both do it if the humidity is high enough and the ambient is right.
Thank you for the correction, I retired from Law Enforcement not auto repair.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts