Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am from Malaysia. been driving a 2003 Kia Spectra for some months and so far, have no major operation and maintenance issues. But one issue which has been plagueing me since Day One is the air-conditioning system becoming increasingly weak and non-cooling after an hour or two of long-distance driving. I only recently found out it was due to the piping near to the car dashboard (evaporator ?) freezing up. The whole pipe literally turn white and become like one long chilling-cold popsicle.

The conditioning system will return to normal if I switch off the AC for half an hour before switching it back on and then the whole cycle starts again.

Atttached are pictures of the frozen piping.

Hope all long-time experienced owners of Kia Spectra can share some information and ideas as to the cause of the problem and ways to go about testing and fixing it. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,268 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, that would be the thermostat.

Another cause of this type of frosting can be low refrigerant level in the system. e.g. When this happens in domestic refrigerators, the freezer section gets really cold, but the rest stays warm. Thermostat is in the main section, so never tells the compressor to stop.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,268 Posts
Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. I have read that thread and both tt2jzgtes and I would appreciate if you could tell us the location of the thermal switch you mentioned. Is it the thermostat ?
Have you checked on the KiaTech web site yet ? - I don't have time to check there myself, but if you don't come right I'll make time tonight or tomorrow.

It's a thermal switch, which is often referred to as a 'thermostat' (not to be confused with the thermostat in the engines cooling system).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked on the KiaTech web site yet ? - I don't have time to check there myself, but if you don't come right I'll make time tonight or tomorrow.

It's a thermal switch, which is often referred to as a 'thermostat' (not to be confused with the thermostat in the engines cooling system).
After googling around for more info on thermal switch, found the official term used by carmakers are EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE SENSOR. I also went to check the KiatechInfo site and didn't really found anything that look relevant.

From kiatechinfo.com:

The Components and Component Locations Diagram (attached) didn't really indicate any items that could possibly the sensors.

Also found instruction on fixing the A/C thermocon contacts (attached) but doubtful that is thermal sensor.

Maybe somebody who known the exact location can highlight/mark out the exact location on the digram I attached.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,268 Posts
I see that KiaTech doesn't have too much detail for the AC on the Spectra.

Take a look at the Sephia 1999 ETM section and you see a lot more, and it is typical on most models so should give you a good idea.
The switch is mechanically attached to the evaporator, so of course its not convenient to get to crawling behind the dashboard.

That 'Thermistor' PDF shows the location of the connector and now just need to follow the wires to the actual switch on the evap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see that KiaTech doesn't have too much detail for the AC on the Spectra.

Take a look at the Sephia 1999 ETM section and you see a lot more, and it is typical on most models so should give you a good idea.
The switch is mechanically attached to the evaporator, so of course its not convenient to get to crawling behind the dashboard.

That 'Thermistor' PDF shows the location of the connector and now just need to follow the wires to the actual switch on the evap.
sorry for the late reply. I forgot to check back on the forum. :(.. may I know what is ETM ?

·
Super Moderator
11,268 Posts
sorry for the late reply. I forgot to check back on the forum. :(.. may I know what is ETM ?
log onto the KiaTech web site and you'll see the button labelled "ETM" - the ETM is the electrical section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts