Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air conditioning on my 2003 Spectra is acting weird. When you turn the air on, it only blows from the defrost and the floor, regardless of the position of the control....can anyone tell me what is wrong and how to fix it?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Sounds like either your mode actuator is not working or it's stuck. If you look under the dash you will see a little box with two wires going to it. Actually, there are two of these; one for the mode control and one for the blend (hot/cold). One of those isn't working. I'm pretty sure the one you want is on the driver's side underneath the dash. Look to see if anything is stopping it from moving, and if you don't see anything, unscrew it and see if it will work while it's in your hand. Also check to make sure that the arm it attaches to moves pretty freely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

Get your Aircond Compressor checked. It might not be working. The pulley turns when engine is running but in front of the pulley is a mechanical thing that should also spin when you turn on your airconditioning.

Result of this is just having normal air blow from the blower. B)

If this is the case, you should request for a new compressor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The air conditioning on my 2004 Spectra keeps messing up too. If yours is still under warranty you probably need to take it in. I bought mine (new) in April 2004, the air conditioner quit working the first time in November. It quit working again two weeks ago. After a week in the shop they told me it was fixed. It quit blowing again less than a week later. Another part is on order. Good luck with yours!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by Doohickie@Jul 4 2005, 10:47 AM
Isn't this car still under warranty? Let the dealer worry about it.
now thats funny :D .......sorry i couldnt resist......I realize this is my first post, but that statement is like getting a fox (KIA) to guard the chicken coup (customer)

I have problems with my defrost blower and they hem and haw about warranty......still unresolved
I fear if i let them have my vehicle they will smack me down with a $1500 workorder. I quite frankly would give the business to someone else if not covered by warranty. Their dealers could learn customer service from GMC....

KIA dealers are the most standoffish and defensive when it comes to warranty

·
Registered
20 Posts
This happened to the riece of crap Kia I used to own too. The dealer daid it was a linkage in the cabin that "must have been kicked" by someone. Why would something be placed in the cabin that is exposed enough that it can be kicked? Anyway, after basica;;y blaming me for the problem, they fixed it under a "good will warrenty" even though the car was sitll under the 60,000 "bumber to bumper" warranty. This worthless warranty also did not cover a blown speaker and a trunk latch that broke.

What a joke.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is a linkage in the driver's side footwell, and yes, it fell off because it was kicked by the driver's right foot. If you look with a flashlight in the area near the center console where the accelerator pedal foot would rub against, you'll see a small linkage hanging free. Reconnect the linkage and snap the little plastic snap ring back on.

It's your foot that brushes against the snap ring and loosens the linkage. As soon as I notice it, I just reach down and reconnect to. You need to see it the first time, but after that you can reconnect it by feel. I would often do it at highway speeds without missing a beat.

Mark in MA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, it's poor design, but I figure the car wasn't designed for my size 11 shoes. Since that linkage has been my only problem with the car (that, and maybe a weak parking brake design), I'm not complaining.

Mark in MA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by sixjeeps@Oct 2 2005, 08:09 PM
It is a linkage in the driver's side footwell, and yes, it fell off because it was kicked by the driver's right foot. If you look with a flashlight in the area near the center console where the accelerator pedal foot would rub against, you'll see a small linkage hanging free. Reconnect the linkage and snap the little plastic snap ring back on.

It's your foot that brushes against the snap ring and loosens the linkage. As soon as I notice it, I just reach down and reconnect to. You need to see it the first time, but after that you can reconnect it by feel. I would often do it at highway speeds without missing a beat.

Mark in MA
Thanks for the tip. My defrost wasnt working and I was about to take it to the dealer, when I found this thread. That is a real stupid spot for a connection like that. Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
if your in the drivers seat you cant hit the linkage it is on the passenger side..... both of my kias have had this problem.. it happened to me because i tried changing the air to warm. it was really cold out and it was hard to turn.. low and behold when i cranked it hard it broke the arm that moves the selection to what air you want... now I have to do it manually everytime i want to change from cold to hot or visaversa.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No, not the temp linkage...the linkage to change location of air outlet...defr/dashboard/feet. That linkage is right beside your accelerator pedal foot.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts