Kia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before ringing the dealer I was wondering if anyone knew if the air con was covered on the warranty, and if so, for how long. My car is just over 2 years old and the air con doesn't work. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine has also failed, it's booked in for Thurs next week for them to see if its due to damage or mechanical failure, let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The service manager said it was pressure tested and found to be low. They checked for leaks but non were apparant so it was simply re gassed. I must confess to being worried that it needed re gassing after 2 years but there was no charge.

Daz

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is, the weather's turned rubbish again so I've not had chance to check it. Let's see how archergirl gets on.

Daz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was in today and they said the problem is with the condenser. They have ordered a new one and I have to take it in on Weds for it to be fitted under warranty.
Very pleased with the outcome (so far!!!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, just collected the car, aircon fixed, car washed and vaccumed (well sort of, they missed the boot and didn't dust!!) Well done Hendy Kia/Ford Portsmouth, thank you very much. Just bring on the sun now please!!!
Funny thing is hubby has just bought a Mazda MX5 so if it's nice we can use that with the top down..............

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to add that I used mine the other day as it was quite warm (yeah, I know it's rare in the UK) and the aircon was lovely and cold.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,958 Posts
I hope they put some leak dye in the system when they added the refrigerant...
Two years and it's low? Sounds like you are gonna have an "on going" slow leak problem until it's found. I have an 06 Spectra/Cerado and have never touched the AC.
Dave

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes Dave, they added dye and said they couldn't see any leaks. I share your opinion and am worried. I always keep my cars a long time and usually do 130000 to 150000 miles before renewing them. I've never had aircon re filled before.

I went under the bonnet today and noticed green dye all over the low pressure valve and pipe work. They either spilled some or that's where my leak is. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow.

Daz

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, no update. I never made the call and completely forgot about it. In fact I haven't checked to see if the aircon still works. May try it on the way home from work tonight (and probably forget to update you).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure if anyone's found this thread useful or not so apologies to those that haven't. Here's an update anyway:

My aircon packed up again as I expected it would. The dealer looked said that the dye around the low pressure point was just spillage but the compressor was leaking. I had to replaced today under warranty.

Thing is, the summer is gone now so I won't know how long it'll work for this time.

Daz

·
Banned
130 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone's found this thread useful or not so apologies to those that haven't. Here's an update anyway:

My aircon packed up again as I expected it would. The dealer looked said that the dye around the low pressure point was just spillage but the compressor was leaking. I had to replaced today under warranty.

Thing is, the summer is gone now so I won't know how long it'll work for this time.

Daz
Do you not use Air Con in the Winter especially when its raining to demist windows ?

·
Registered
246 Posts

Daz
You should use your A/C for at least 20 minutes a month even during the winter. The refrigerant is also a lubricant, if you don't use it seals deteriorate and pump bearings etc can seize.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts