Kia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2016 Sportage LX 2.4L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have a 2016 Sportage 2.4L 2WD LX.

The Aircon was working fine for the last 6 years and then suddenly, it only blows out cool to luke-warm air.

The AC button and the recycle button are both illuminated.

For about 4 months we have been getting the clicking/clunking noise from the AC when we start the car or sometimes turn sharp left (weird!!). As per this YT Video -

My thoughts:

-Gas leak, but can't confirm or see anything to suggest that is the case
-Electrical fault
-Compressor fail, not sure how to check
-The clicking noise is somehow related i.e. it wont close the 'recycle shutter' from the video so will only allow outside air not recycled air which could affect the AC
-Temp sensor failure in the cabin

Any ideas what the problem could be as we live in Las Vegas where it is 100 degrees, AC is not a luxury item in the summer :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

· Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
376 Posts
I'll bet your blend door actuator has failed or is sticking and is letting hot air from the heater core into the car. Try moving the temperature dial from hot to cold and see if you get any change or noise.

You can see if the compressor is working pretty easily. When the car's running and the a/c is engaged the compressor should be turning and the two metal pipes that go into it should be very hot (small pipe) and very cold (big pipe).

· Registered
2016 Sportage LX 2.4L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'll bet your blend door actuator has failed or is sticking and is letting hot air from the heater core into the car. Try moving the temperature dial from hot to cold and see if you get any change or noise.

You can see if the compressor is working pretty easily. When the car's running and the a/c is engaged the compressor should be turning and the two metal pipes that go into it should be very hot (small pipe) and very cold (big pipe).
That didnt seem to do anything switching from cold to hot to cold. Left it 30 secs just to make sure. Both pipes are hot.... eeeeuurrgghhhh!

How difficult is a compressor change to do and any recommendations on other things I can check first?

· Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,491 Posts
You may have a simple leak, or a catastrophic failure of some sort.
Instead of just changing parts, go to a reputable service garage and get a proper diagnosis. Yes, it will cost you some money.....
Then you can go from there. Have them fix it. You fix it. You by the parts and have them fix it. Or, drive with no A/C....
If you have the special equipment to do A/C work, go for it.
Our guess is not. Therefore, have the system looked at prior to purchasing parts than may not be necessary, or may not be returnable....

· Registered
2016 Sportage LX 2.4L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so the compressor clutch still works, but the air con technician said the compressor has failed and needs replaced, is this accurate?

There is still plenty of gas in the system.

· Administrator
12,634 Posts
Okay, so the compressor clutch still works, but the air con technician said the compressor has failed and needs replaced, is this accurate?

There is still plenty of gas in the system.
Not sure how anyone here can answer that question, not having done any diagnostics, and no details from the tech that did the assessment.

· Administrator
12,634 Posts
I was meaning in generic terms, if the clutch spins, is the compressor non-functional?
Generic terms - I don't understand what you mean by that.

The clutch always spins, but when it engages (power applied) then the clutch and the compressor shaft will spin.

What's behind the line of questioning, don't you trust the technician you hired?

· Registered
2016 Sportage LX 2.4L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Generic terms - I don't understand what you mean by that.

The clutch always spins, but when it engages (power applied) then the clutch and the compressor shaft will spin.

What's behind the line of questioning, don't you trust the technician you hired?
I NEVER trust anyone who has a vested interest in making things worse than the reality 😀

· Registered
2016 Sportage LX 2.4L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a guide on how to change the desiccant? I have changed the compressor and the expansion valve.... Just the desiccant to go :)

Any idea where it is located?

· Registered
2016 Sportage LX 2.4L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi,

My air con stopped working due to a defective compressor, which I am replacing.

I am just about to mount my new compressor which is made by 4 Seasons (4S). There are a few things I am confused about as the instruction from the manufacturer are generic with no diagrams....!!

It says it is pre-filled with 3oz of oil (from a total of 4.4oz required), but when I tried to empty the oil to make sure how much was in there, nothing comes out!

The old compressor clutch plate turns freely, the new one doesn't.

This has led me to some questions rather than answers:

1. How do I check that there is sufficient oil in the compressor?
2. Where do I add the addition 1.4oz of oil, or is this even required as I only changed the compressor and the expansion valve?
3. Should the clutch plate turn freely on the new compressor as it doesn't (see videos)
4. Where is the desiccant held, it seems to be in the condensor... does this mean removing the entire from of the car to access it?
5. No oil came out of the old compressor, does this mean the entire air con system is short of oil, hence the compressor failed?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated as we have just spent almost $10k this month moving into a new house at the weekend. The air con stopped working Monday, so I can't afford $1,992 to have it done by an expert.

Kia old compressor.MOV

· Registered
2016 Sportage LX 2.4L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All done!!!

Well that is a first, I have never dealt with AC before. It is actually pretty easy, but time consuming.

Thanks for everyone's help.

· Registered
2016 Sportage LX 2.4L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,

Just refilling my ac refrigerant which the sticker says should be 550g total.

-Each can is 340g of gas
-A full can has been put into the system
-The scales say it has taken 330g
-The pressure on my gauges when the engine is running and a/c compressor spinning is low side - 47psi, high side is 225psi
-Air temperature is 105F / 41C

Should I be adding in another 230g of coolant, or have I screwed up somewhere as the pressure on my gauges seems high when only half full?!

Camera lens Font Gas Drink Camera accessory
Grey Motor vehicle Wall Font Gas

· Registered
2022 Kia LX Sportage
59 Posts
Hi,

Just refilling my ac refrigerant which the sticker says should be 550g total.

-Each can is 340g of gas
-A full can has been put into the system
-The scales say it has taken 330g
-The pressure on my gauges when the engine is running and a/c compressor spinning is low side - 47psi, high side is 225psi
-Air temperature is 105F / 41C

Should I be adding in another 230g of coolant, or have I screwed up somewhere as the pressure on my gauges seems high when only half full?!

View attachment 124763 View attachment 124764
I am not a AC expert but have charged many different car and trucks and it is sort of a hobby. The best way to determine the "fullness" or amount of refrigerant in your system is by measuring the "suction side" pressure. That pressure is determined by TWO things. One is the type of refrigerant. There is a difference between R134 and R1234 and I don't know which refrigerant you are using. But in any case measure the LOW SIDE pressure and for the most part you can ignore the high side pressure unless there is something else wrong with the system. And the suction side pressure is a VARIABLE NUMBER based on the air temperature at your location. For example R124 can vary in pressure depending on how hot the day is when you are charging the system.
So go online, type in the refrigerant you are using and look for a temperature/pressure table. Use that to determine when your system is full.
Now for the oil, MOST compressors come from the factory charged with the right quantity of oil. Notice I didn't say for YOUR system. But in any case I would add about 1 oz of oil the is COMPATIBLE with the refrigerant you are using. R134 uses a different oil than lets say R1234. Your local auto parts store should be able to help you select the right oil. And remember NEVER, EVER, NEVER connect refrigerant cans to the high pressure port. Always the larger diameter low pressure port. According to my gage set @ 90 F R134 gas should read about 45-55 psi on the low side and 310-379 Kph on the high side. Don't know what the numbers are for R1234 if that is what you are using but the internet has that info. Hope this helps.
Tom G.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.