Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Sorry for this dumb question, but what is air cold intake and how many HP gain can be achieved from this?.

Thx

Danny

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by kiaboy2@Aug 24 2004, 10:48 AM
Hello Folks,

Sorry for this dumb question, but what is air cold intake and how many HP gain can be achieved from this?.

Thx

Danny

It is a cold air intake, and it will gain hp it just depends on what kind you use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A cold air intake (CAI) collects cold air from outside of the engine bay. The cooler the air going into your engine, but more power it can produce. As with all engine mods, it works better with other mods such as a cat-back exhaust system. The drawback of a CAI is you will not gain much, if anything, in you low end rpm range. For gains there, use a short ram intake. Personally, I recomend a CAI over a short ram.

Here is a pic of my CAI on my 03 Rio:

Matt

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
15 Posts
There is the shorter version called "Short Ram" it give you less HP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all
Dunno how serious you are on doing an air intake mod. “ppwazzup” has given a pretty good description of the concept of the air intake. It depends on what car you have. Some car have a cone shaped air filter intake, shown by “Speedy” pic while others have a rectangular air filter that sit in a polymer box, next to the engine. There usually around 2-5hp increase with just an uprated air filter. You can actually gain more power without a filter but it is not recommend as the dirt on the raod will damage you engine. There an advantages and disadvantage of a cone air intake or a rectangular air intake in a box. To try and extract more cold air you can run a pipe to the bottom of the car, so it sits a few inches above the road and under the engine. So in theory you are extracting coldest air directly from the lowest point (hot air rises and cold air descends) of the car. You can actually feel the difference when driving BUT remember don’t drive through deep water unless you want to flood your engine. And also you filter will need to be cleaned out/replaced a lot because being so low to the road; it picks up a lot of dirt quickly. K&N air filter are pretty decent brand to go for plus there are reusable. Most manufacturers standard air filter are disposable ones; once it’s cogged up, you have to buy a new replacement. Hope that helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi all ...
corect me if I'm wrong here but your diagnostic of cold air may give a better fuel econemy and more power to people living in a worm climate ,,
but if your living in a cold climate it makes things worse .
In this case we need to get hot air from the engine.
I beleive that air should be between a certain temperature

just my two cents. <_<

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I decided to stick with a heavily modified short-ram air intake. I would have liked to have a CAI (Cold Air Intake) but it would take too many bends for either a metal or rubber pipe which would end up beign worse then my current setup.

Just out of curosity, not that it matters to me or anything, which is louder, a CAI or a Short-ram? I imagine that the Short-ram would be louder but just wondering.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
exacly the same preaty much..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts