Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rondo, Hyundai Sonata
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Kia Rondo with 148,000 miles on it. A Couple of weeks ago the Air Bag warning light came on. At first it came on at random times for a short while and then went off. Now it is on whenever the car is on. Is there anything I can ckeck before giving up and taking it to the dealer? I doo most of the PM work on the car myself.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
This is one area I would personaly suggest that you take the car to the dealer or to a mechanic trained to be competent with the "restraint" system...
The air bag warning light will have to be reset by the dealer as an OBDII scanner wil NOT do the job... Just one small mistake and you could get hurt by the system designed to do just the opposite (keep you safe from harm)..
They can be very dangerous.
Dave

·
Registered
2012, Rio5 LX+, 2009 Rondo EX 2.4l
5 Posts
I had the same problem, took it to KIA and the culprit is the weight sensor on the seat rail. They told me its a common Rondo fault, and hits the passenger seat most of the time. The guy also mentioned that the sensor gets confused, if you place a fairly heavy object on the seat....and go over a few bumps....I guess a persons weight does not open and close the circuit rapidly...!

Mine is an 2009, 2.4l EX, and it happened at 45k miles.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
I have a 2009 Kia Rondo with 148,000 miles on it. A Couple of weeks ago the Air Bag warning light came on. At first it came on at random times for a short while and then went off. Now it is on whenever the car is on. Is there anything I can ckeck before giving up and taking it to the dealer? I doo most of the PM work on the car myself.
Ours did this. Campaign SC094 took care of it. Kia replaced the clock spring.

The campaign document indicates some Rondos manufactured up to March 21, 2008 may have the problem. If this doesn't include your manufacture date, maybe it's still worth looking into as the culprit, albeit possibly not fixed for free.

·
Registered
Kia Rondo, Hyundia Azera, Ford Expedition, 57 Tbird, 54 Ford PU
1 Posts
I have this problem in a 2008 LX. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the clock spring. Still have problem. They then said it was a bad module in the passenger seat. Replaced the passenger seat. Still have the problem.

???????????????????????????????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts