Kia Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento V6 AWD
2 Posts
Recently purchased a used 2018 AWD that came with a factory hitch. I purchased the 60901 air-lift 1000 kit. There is one concern I have. Which way do you mount the bag, with the nipple facing up towards the body or down towards ground? It didn't come with any spacers or anything to protect the nipple and I am worried about it getting damaged. I haven't got under there to take a good look. Just wondering what people in this thread have done. Did you drill through anything?

This is the only thread I could find on it.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento V6 AWD
2 Posts
Air nipple down. See above picture: Air Bag Suspension Kit For 2016+ Sorento

Hope this helps.
Your pics did help. What I ended up doing was prior to installing the bags, drilled a hole through the rubber grommet that the springs sit on through the ob-round slot that's under the arm. I ran the hoses through the inside of the arms into the cross brace with plenty of slack for movement. I also run the supply from my trailer hitch through the frame and into the crossmember. the "T" is mounted to the top side of the cross member above the spare. That way no hose is near a heat source nor can it get messed up by debris.

I'll take some pics of my install when i get a chance.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento 3.3L V6 SXL AWD
3 Posts
Curious about the same thing, as in another thread it seemed to be accepted that the Sorento was supposed to use the 60729 kit, and there was no mention of the 60901...
Anyway...I went ahead and installed the Air Lift 60901 on my 2017 Sorento SXL AWD on yesterday and it took me about 8 hours. At the bottom of the coil spring (rear), there's a rubber cover ("lower pad"). I had to drill a hole to let the air tube to pass.

The rear suspension strut had to be removed to allow access to the coil spring. What surprised me when disassembling the rear suspension was the stabilizer link - I had not seen a discussion about that, and it took me some time to figure out how to get that removed (with a 8mm socket, and a 17mm wrench - ratcheting preferred). Unlike many tutorial videos available on Youtube, there is no effort needed to insert the air pouch in between the coil spring's gaps. I found it easy to remove the coil spring, take off the top rubber cover, and then just slide the air pouch into the center of the coil spring. No need to struggle folding the air pouch and slide it in.

The air nozzle was eventually installed on the rear under cover at the driver's side (where the towing connectors were located). A hole with 5/16" diameter was drilled on the plastic cover to mount the nozzle, and the nozzle could be easily accessed from the bottom-rear end of the car. Installed this way, the nozzle could be hardly seen from outside and it doesn't protrude in the aesthetic aspect. The air tube from the passenger side could be routed through the holes on the sub-frame so the exposure of it to the exhaust pipe could be limited. Of course, you would want to install the metal insulators on the exhaust pipe anyways, to protect the air tubes.

An impact driver is recommended for taking off the rear suspension parts. I took some pictures, and I will upload them later today.

=======================================

Here are the pictures:

·
Registered
2019 Sorento S 3.3L V6 270HP
17 Posts
Just a point: The total weight of what is being towed and the tongue weight of what is being towed are quite different things. Weight distribution counts. I believe the upper limit per Kia spec is 350#. Ideally, the recommendation is more on the order of 10% of the total, so in your case, 200#.

What is the tongue weight of your trailer, loaded?

Edit: Should have made "loaded" more clear. Put in the stuff you plan to haul, and distribute it as you normally would. You may need to adjust position of stuff.
Nothing in my trailer, liquids out. 3600 and I’m luck I can drive my car is sits so low. They should never say it can tow knowing the suspension sucks!! I have a 2019 Sorento, awd, I can tow 5000, but my suspension cannot. So now I have a trailer I can’t tow. Kia tells me get an after market suspension on. They do not make them, I’ve called all over town asking. Even if they did, Kia would not put it on, They said they only do the factory equipment. Nothing else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
AirLift-off

OK, the Air Lift kit is installed, and it seems great. I have only towed once with it, but there is a noticeable difference in sag and ride with them installed and inflated to 35psi. The installation process was simple and straightforward, and yet somehow took me all afternoon lying on my back under the vehicle anyways. That might just me me though ;)
Getting the bags inside the springs is tight, but do-able without dismantling the suspension. I just jacked up the car one side at a time and pushed them through the gaps in the springs.
Running the tubing in a clean fashion took some time, finding a path that avoids the exhaust heat, and leaving enough slack for suspension arm movement, etc.

When complete, I tested and thought I had a leak because each time I checked the pressure, it was 1-2 psi less than the prior check. After wasting time dismantling my work, I learned that the actual CHECKING of the pressure was releasing a bit of air as the gauge went on and off the valve. I guess because the bags have such small capacity, that makes a noticeable difference in pressure. Turns out, it was all good the whole time.

My next project was to install my new Andersen no-sway hitch, which I completed last night. It looks great and seems to work well. I will know more after a trip to the Whiteshell this weekend.

I will post some pics on return
Would the airbags for your 2018 EX fit a 2019 S. If not do you know where to get them for my vehicle. No one seems to be able to find anything for my car. I’d like to tow my new trailer someday, lol.

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento LX V6 AWD
82 Posts
According to Amazon levelling capacity is 2000 lbs for 60729 and 1000 lbs for 60901. However the rating for 60901 is 4.5 and 3.6 for 60729. Also 60729 is cheaper... Not sure which one is better...

·
Registered
17 Posts
The KIA Sorento with larger size V6 engine can pull huge amount of weight. As previously stated 3,500 lbs or 5,000 lbs. This means its engine, transmission, drive system and chassis is rated for this MAX "towing" weight. It doesn't mean its "factory" suspension is made to support 10%-15% (average 13%) of loaded trailer's tongue weight. If it did, a solo driver will have too solid of suspension. Vision vehicle with solid axle and solid tires comfort at 100% of the time. Ouch!

For a vehicle with high towing lbs ratings, you'd think KIA would have optional factory towing package that included Air Bags, Air shocks or some other Rear Leveling systems - like other auto makers. re: Like Dodge and their Nivomat "load leveling" rear shocks.

In a perfect world, one can attach a Weight Distribution System with properly sized tension bars (on the attached trailer's tongue) and the vehicle's "stance" can be manually adjusted to level out. Yes. This is in a perfect world. In a reality world, not all trailers can accept a Weight Distribution System. In this case, install custom sized air bags within its coil springs, "air up" for heavy weight inboard cargo and/or trailer tongue weight and away you go. And if one cannot use a Weight Distribution system, remember NOT to exceed the trailer's hitch's non-WDS numbers. re: See Trailer hitch numbers for more details.

I wish Kia made optional Factory rear air bag systems for their Sorento V6 vehicles as well. But since they don't, one must go 3rd party - to customize the vehicle's rear suspension themselves. re:

"The Air Lift 1000 Universal Air Spring Kit (Part No: 60901) is a perfect fit for the 2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD". This product might fit for your year or Sorento as well....

Hope this helps.
You wouldn’t happen to know about where I could get 3rd party for a Sorento S AWD V6. Called so many places, no one can find anything.
Thanks B

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 FWD
28 Posts
A couple more pics

Here are a few more pics.
I realize this is 2 years after your post, but I just found this thread. In the photos you posted it's not clear to me where the nipple for the air tubing goes once you put the spring back onto the suspension arm. Is there a hole in the rubber base on the arm there? Or what did you do? Thanks for your response, so long after your post.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
417 Posts
I realize this is 2 years after your post, but I just found this thread. In the photos you posted it's not clear to me where the nipple for the air tubing goes once you put the spring back onto the suspension arm. Is there a hole in the rubber base on the arm there? Or what did you do? Thanks for your response, so long after your post.
i think people drill a hole in the rubber base for the nipple.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
417 Posts
Finally got mine installed. Paid a shop to do it, and glad I did, they ended up taking the springs right off the car to get the airbag in! They filled them with 15psi, and when i checked the next morning it was at zero psi! I figured i had a leak, but filled them up to 15 again and 2 weeks later they are still at 15, so i guess the connections just needed to settle? I remember seeing a youtube review of them and the guy had the exact same thing, just the first fill totally deflated, but after that he was fine. I have to say, I prefer the feel of the car with them inflated to about 15. Feels more solid, and i like that when you are off the line you don't have as much lean to the back as the weight is thrown back. Haven't towed yet, so am excited to see if it help with the squat!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts