Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery in my 2002 Sportage has been getting weaker the past couple of months and today it finally started dying on me while driving through town (dash lights dimming, tach fluttering, etc.). I was right in front of Wal-Mart so just pulled in and had them replace it (it was still under full warranty).

Right about the time the dash lights started dimming and the car started losing a bit of power, the airbag light starts flashing the "one long, two short" sequence. I've searched the forum and found a dozen threads on the airbag light that say the only way to check/reset it is to go to the dealer...but a few people said that if you leave the battery disconnected long enough the blinking light will reset (as long as there truly isn't a problem with the airbag system).

So...can anyone confirm whether or not there is any way for me to reset the blinking light on my own...assuming there isn't anything actually wrong with the airbag system? And secondly, can anyone speculate why the dying battery might have started the light blinking in the first place?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
A weak/dying power source can cause all kinds of odd behaviour with electronics.

Disconnect the negative cable and short it directly to the positive terminal, this will dissipate all residual charge in the vehicle..

Reconnect and the electronics should cold boot... Philip

·
Registered
98 Kia Sportage 5 speed
9 Posts
Hi Guys

I was wondering if this would work on a 98 Sportage touching the negative cable to the positive terminal? Do you leave the positive cable hooked up when this is done? The airbag light has been blinking since my wife got it.

Thank You
Walter

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
Disconnecting one main cable from the battery removes the power source.

I suggested the negative first as the body is ground(-), this eliminates any accidental wrench to body sparks.

Whether this resolves your issue will depend on what circumstance initiated the indicator.

You may have to connect a scanner that is capable of reading the AIR bag system...... Philip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts