Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently had an issue with a broken timing belt and I have since replaced it and the car is running great now. Now I have another issue after this work was done. The air bag light is staying on constantly.

I have checked the air bag fuse, as well as all the others and they are fine. I have also disconnected the battery for period of time, but the light is still on.

Is there a wire or connector that could have been affected near the timing belt area? I am almost 100% certain that during the timing belt replacement something was moved or disconnected, since this light has never come on in the time that I have owned the car.

Maybe someone has experience with this issue or can direct me to the correct places to check for loose connectors or broken wires?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,929 Posts
Once the air bag computer has "set" the "flag" in the SRS module from any cause even if the air bags have not gone off then the SRS module will have to be replaced.
The fault is written into eeprom memory and removing the voltage source will not clear it. There are companies that reprogram the module to remove the stored "fault". Look on ebay.
A very common problem is the "clockspring" inside the steering wheel becoming intermittent. This device allows continuous electrical connections in a moving device (steering wheel) from left stop to right stop. They can and do break.
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts