Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a KIA Sorento 2011, 2.4 engine and the airbag indication light is "ON" even when the car is running. It's been like that for 2 weeks now. I had it checked yesterday and the mechanic uses a scanner. After the diagnostic the scanner panel read " B1346 Driver Airbag Resistance too High (1st Stage)". He tried to reset it in the scanner so that the indication light would switch OFF but it did not work.

Anything I can do to remedy this issue on the indication light?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
There is definitely something wrong, airbag, or wiring problem. and needs to be repaired before the light can be "turned off". The SRS system does not function like OBD11 that you can clear codes and see if it "pops on" again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's not a recall but Kia is extending the warranty on the driver's airbag clock spring for 11-15 Sorento's. Call your dealer with your VIN # and they should take care of it under warranty. I'll see if I can post the letter here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2011-2015 MY SORENTO DRIVER’S FRONT AIRBAG CLOCK SPRING ASSEMBLY
KIA NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY EXTENSION
Q & A
Q.1 Why is Kia extending the warranty on the airbag clock spring assembly?
A.1 Kia Motors America’s highest commitment is to your safety. This warranty extension addresses
failures of the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly as reported by some vehicle owners.
The clock spring is an electrical connection which rotates with the steering wheel to maintain
proper functioning of the airbag unit. Kia’s system is designed to illuminate the airbag warning
light when electrical resistance increases, which can be contributed to by usage patterns and
environmental conditions. Illumination of the airbag warning light advises you to have the
system inspected and repaired. If continued to be used without repair, the driver’s airbag may
eventually not deploy in a frontal impact.
Q.2 What is the term of the warranty extension on the airbag clock spring assembly?
A.2 Kia is extending the warranty coverage for the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly to
15 years with unlimited mileage from the date of first service.
Q.3 What vehicles are covered under the terms of this warranty extension?
A.3 All 2011-2015 MY Sorento vehicles manufactured from 10/24/2009 through 12/17/2014 are
covered under the terms of this warranty extension.
Q.4 Does this warranty extension also extend the warranty on other vehicle
components?
A.4 No. This warranty extension is limited to the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly and
does not alter the limitations and exclusions contained in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Q.5 What should vehicle owners do when they receive the warranty extension notice?
A.5 Owners should:
�� CHECK THE AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT. It is easy to check your airbag system. Start your
Sorento vehicle’s engine, and observe the airbag warning light on the instrument panel. The
location of the airbag warning light is further described in the Airbag section of your Owner’s
Manual. The airbag light should illuminate for 6 seconds while the control unit is being
checked. The light should cease to illuminate and remain off while operating the vehicle.
o AIRBAG SYSTEM FUNCTIONS PROPERLY. If the airbag warning light operates
as described above, you do not need to contact your Kia dealer. However, place
this letter in your glove compartment as a record of the extended warranty this letter
provides.
o AIRBAG SYSTEM IS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. If the airbag warning light
remains illuminated after the engine has been on for more than 6 seconds, or if
the light illuminates, contact your Kia dealer to schedule a system diagnosis to
determine if the clockspring requires replacement. You will not be charged for this
diagnosis, regardless of the condition causing the light to illuminate.
Q.6 The airbag warning light is illuminated. Does this warranty extension cover the cost
of having the vehicle diagnosed by a Kia dealer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
A.6 Yes. If, at any time within the extended warranty period, the airbag warning light is
illuminated, or if the airbag warning light never illuminates at startup, the Kia dealership will
diagnose the cause at no cost to the vehicle owner.
If the diagnosis indicates the airbag warning light is illuminated as the result of clock spring
concerns, Kia will replace the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly at no cost.
Q.7 What happens if the illumination of the airbag warning light is due to an issue
unrelated to the airbag clock spring assembly?
A.7 If another issue exists with the airbag system, the vehicle owner will be advised of that
condition and of the expense of the repair needed to correct the condition as those repairs will
not be covered by this warranty extension.
Q.8 Does the warranty extension apply to used vehicles?
A.8 Yes, provided the vehicle falls within the parameters of this warranty extension (15 years from
the date of first service by the original vehicle owner).
Q.9 If a customer has an immediate question, where can they get further information?
A.9 The customer can contact their local dealer or call Kia’s Consumer Assistance
Center at 1-800-333-4542 (Monday through Friday, 5AM to 6PM, Pacific Standard Time), or
through the owner’s section of Cars, SUVs, Hybrids, Minivans & Crossovers | Kia.
Q.10 What about customers who may have already paid to have the airbag clock spring
assembly repaired?
A.10 Owners who have incurred expense to remedy this issue prior to the date of this notice may
have the opportunity to obtain reimbursement for that expense. Owners should mail the
Request for Reimbursement form along with their documentation directly to Kia for review and
consideration at the following address:
Consumer Assistance Center
Kia Motors America, Inc.
P.O. Box 52410
Irvine, CA 92619-2410
1-800-333-4KIA (4542

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
2011-2015 MY SORENTO DRIVER’S FRONT AIRBAG CLOCK SPRING ASSEMBLY
KIA NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY EXTENSION
Q & A
Q.1 Why is Kia extending the warranty on the airbag clock spring assembly?
A.1 Kia Motors America’s highest commitment is to your safety. This warranty extension addresses
failures of the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly as reported by some vehicle owners.
The clock spring is an electrical connection which rotates with the steering wheel to maintain
proper functioning of the airbag unit. Kia’s system is designed to illuminate the airbag warning
light when electrical resistance increases, which can be contributed to by usage patterns and
environmental conditions. Illumination of the airbag warning light advises you to have the
system inspected and repaired. If continued to be used without repair, the driver’s airbag may
eventually not deploy in a frontal impact.
Q.2 What is the term of the warranty extension on the airbag clock spring assembly?
A.2 Kia is extending the warranty coverage for the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly to
15 years with unlimited mileage from the date of first service.
Q.3 What vehicles are covered under the terms of this warranty extension?
A.3 All 2011-2015 MY Sorento vehicles manufactured from 10/24/2009 through 12/17/2014 are
covered under the terms of this warranty extension.
Q.4 Does this warranty extension also extend the warranty on other vehicle
components?
A.4 No. This warranty extension is limited to the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly and
does not alter the limitations and exclusions contained in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Q.5 What should vehicle owners do when they receive the warranty extension notice?
A.5 Owners should:
�� CHECK THE AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT. It is easy to check your airbag system. Start your
Sorento vehicle’s engine, and observe the airbag warning light on the instrument panel. The
location of the airbag warning light is further described in the Airbag section of your Owner’s
Manual. The airbag light should illuminate for 6 seconds while the control unit is being
checked. The light should cease to illuminate and remain off while operating the vehicle.
o AIRBAG SYSTEM FUNCTIONS PROPERLY. If the airbag warning light operates
as described above, you do not need to contact your Kia dealer. However, place
this letter in your glove compartment as a record of the extended warranty this letter
provides.
o AIRBAG SYSTEM IS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. If the airbag warning light
remains illuminated after the engine has been on for more than 6 seconds, or if
the light illuminates, contact your Kia dealer to schedule a system diagnosis to
determine if the clockspring requires replacement. You will not be charged for this
diagnosis, regardless of the condition causing the light to illuminate.
Q.6 The airbag warning light is illuminated. Does this warranty extension cover the cost
of having the vehicle diagnosed by a Kia dealer?

He's not in the USA, the warranty extension would not apply in his case.
Very nice of you to take the time to post all this info!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ahhhh, I didn't notice his location.

I would still go to the dealer and ask about it to see if they are doing the same thing over there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
oktaneho, thanks for the post. KIA tells me I should have received the warranty extension letter that you provided based on my vin. I honestly don't ever remember seeing it. However because of your post I contacted KIA Canada and indeed my 2011 Sorento was included in the warranty extension.

YOU saved me over 700.00 CDN by posting the copy of the warranty extension.

THANKS,
AGMNS

·
Registered
2 Posts
cobra259, just a correction to mention here. The warranty extension is VIN based and my Canadian 2011 Sorento is covered (Confirmed by KIA Canada) so anyone with this indication may want to check based on their VIN.

AGMNS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just took care of this issue with my 2011 SX last week. 119,000. miles and well out of warrantee. Printed out the Kia notice provided in this thread and took it in. Dealership took care of the airbag sensor no charge as well as several other outstanding recalls that I was not aware of. I don't recall ever getting any recall letters from Kia...ever...and I'm the original owner. BUT I'm very impressed with their handling of this issue. Brandon Kia, Adamo drive, Brandon Florida.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know this is an old post but I'm experiencing the same issue now in my 2013 Sorento. Very useful information and I will go with this to the dealership.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know this is an old post but I'm experiencing the same issue now in my 2013 Sorento. Very useful information and I will go with this to the dealership.
Mine was replaced at no charge because it was the steering wheel. I was told at the service desk before they took the car in that I was going to be charged for the diagnostic fee if it was not the steering wheel clockspring. I argued the letter says no charge even if not the steering wheel. Lady was adamant that I must pay no matter what. Luckily, it was the clockspring assembly. The part was on backorder and got it done after a 2 week wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is great info. Just the reason why I joined the forum. Ill contact my local dealership. Will post results of inquiry/servce approval.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cobra259, just a correction to mention here. The warranty extension is VIN based and my Canadian 2011 Sorento is covered (Confirmed by KIA Canada) so anyone with this indication may want to check based on their VIN.

AGMNS
Where do I go to check my VIN to see if I'm covered? My light came on a week ago and they said its the clock spring and something else as well from code readings.

·
Super Moderator
9,160 Posts
Where do I go to check my VIN to see if I'm covered? My light came on a week ago and they said its the clock spring and something else as well from code readings.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing