Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the OEM wheels on my car are 16" 4x114.3 , with 43mm offset (according to a post here...thanks). The OEM tires are 205-50/16. I"m looking at some after market wheels that are 17" w. 40mm offset. The tires I'd use would be 215-45/17. Do you guys think this combo should fit ok? I can't seem to find any 43mm offset wheels, but it's hard to believe that the 3mm makes a huge difference.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
06 Kia Spectra, 90 Pontiac firebird
61 Posts
Tire rack is awesome you can just search by application and you won't have any issues with incorrect fitament. However if you go 17 I recommend an alignment when you put those baby's on....then send us some pics!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm going to go with 16" wheels...I just can't justify replacing (4) brand new tires. I'm gonna order them in the next week or two...I'll post up when I have them installed.

I'm also considering the Kia spring kit, but I'm worried about losing too much ride quality, so the jury is out on that one.

·
Registered
1982 Fiat Spyder, 2007 VW Eos 2L Turbo, 2000 BMW 528i 5 speed
230 Posts
I have to say - beware of Tire Rack. I bought 17" Borbet wheels for our 2000 Passat wagon. My wife drove the car back and forth to work on the highway and bent THIRTEEN wheels in the space of a year and a half. It was the most frustrating experience I have ever had. I was a big Tire Rack fan until this happened. Tire Rack always said we hit something in the road, or it is to be expected with big(?) wheels, or some other drivel. They would give us discounts on new wheels, but still spent a fortune.

We have had cars with alloys for years and never bent one. Our wretched RX8 had 18" wheels and they were fine. So beware, Tire Rack sells some real junk and will not help you if it fails.

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
I know that the OEM wheels on my car are 16" 4x114.3 , with 43mm offset (according to a post here...thanks). The OEM tires are 205-50/16. I"m looking at some after market wheels that are 17" w. 40mm offset. The tires I'd use would be 215-45/17. Do you guys think this combo should fit ok? I can't seem to find any 43mm offset wheels, but it's hard to believe that the 3mm makes a huge difference.

Thoughts?
1) 3mm less offset will only put the wheels out of the fenders 3mm more. Should not be an issue if NUMBER 2 is kept in mind.

2) What ever tire/size you use make sure it is the same overall diameter as the OEM one and your fine. Speedo and clearance issues will be kept to a minimum then.

3) IF you do not find a rim with teh same OEM offset. A alignment is a must have when you change them. AS it is based on the OEM offset and not the new one. If you switch back and forth from winter adn OEM rims with out the same offset. Then you do two aligns a year. OR be up for tire wear.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 8 of 8 Posts