Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX GDI (AWD)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to drop by a nearby dealership to verify the mileage for the future reimbursement on the GPM adustment. One of the guys in the dealership told me that it is possible to install a aftermarket sunroof around at $1,700.

He mentioned that it won't affect the warranty and structure/safety.
I am thinking of installation seriously but I would like to get some advice/comments from experts and/or those who installed sunroofs.

What would be pros & cons on aftermarket sunroof installation?
Any advice would highly appreciated. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
They tend to leak and when they do...it's a finger pointing game between the installer, car manufacturer, and sunroof manufacturer about who is at fault. Not recommended.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
That can happen. However, I believe if you go to a reputable installer and install a well known brand that backs their product, there most likely will not be a problem. Read up/research what's available.

I had an aftermarket moonroof installed in my 2001 Santa Fe a few months after buying it. It never leaked and never had any problems with it. I believe the brand I had installed was a Webasto. I think they gave me a 10 year warranty. I didn't have to test out the warranty so I can't say what would have happened in that case.

Info:
- There are differing sizes and it may not be as big as you think. May depend on manufacturer or installer too
- There are different styles and you may or may not have a choice. Mine opened "inside" the roof and did not slide on top of it. Not like the all glass panorama factory style
- I live in a colder climate and rarely used it in the winter.
- I had a hard cover opening shade that automatically opened when the moonroof was opened.
- The shade could be opened manually/separately from the moonroof.
- Due to it opening inside the roof, the center light was lowered or seemed to be lowered a bit so be prepared for that.
- Mine had a single button to open and close it. It could also tilt open. I thought about looking for a factory control and wiring it in, but in the end, I was happy with the set up and left it as they had done it
- It had auto-close when the ignition turned off. I believe it worked when the accessory was on. Also had obstruction reverse sensing.

When they cut out the opening, they kind of stamped it open. Not a pretty thing to watch. They had it completed much quicker than I thought. Very professional and looked factory.

In the end, it will likely depend on how bad you really want it. I took my chances and was happy. Same may happen to you or you may not be as lucky and yours may leak.

Good luck and take pictures when they're doing it, if you can.

The above was my experience and I am not recommending either way...it's your decision. I can't be held liable for any issues that come up. LOL!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
No problem.

Correction on the sliding sunshade, it automatically closed when the sunroof was closed...not automatically opened when the sunroof was opened.

Also could not close sunshade when sunroof was open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts