Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2006 Sorento and cannot figure out how to remove the dash to swap out the factory deck with my mp3/WMA CD player. Can anyone help?

Sara

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
A fellow Washingtonian huh?

It's not too difficult. The trim pieces on the sides of the radio have to be removed. Just cover a screwdriver in tape, and wedge it between the ashtray and the trim piece, then pry gently. The pieces are just held in by some clips and will pop off easier a second time. After the initial "prying", you should be able to use your fingers to work your way up the piece. Once you get near the top, pull the whole piece up and out.

After that, there are eight screws to remove that hold the trim around the radio, and you will need a short screwdriver to access the 2 that are close to the windshield. Then there are four more screws that hold the radio in.

If you have an EX or an LX with an amp then you'll have to bypass it. The factory amp cannot be used with an aftermarket stereo. If you have to bypass the amp, the best way is to just run all new wires to the factory speakers. The fastest way is to run new wires to the factory plug at the amp (output).

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am in Spanaway, just around the corner from you!

Thanks for the help, but it turned out we were sold the wrong wiring harness! Looks like we have to take another trip to Magnolia HiFi since Car Toys doesn't know their asses from their "enter punch line here"!

We have a seperate amp that my husband has already installed in the back under the carpet as well as a 10' Sub. I know, it's tiny. But I listen to rock, so I don't need gangsta rap bass.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Originally posted by sklynn@Nov 20 2005, 10:22 PM
Car Toys doesn't know their asses from their "enter punch line here"!
I can see you've been there before. Nothing like Car Toys service/installs to make you say "What the ****!" You should see what their alarm installs look like.

Magnolia Hi-Price is good. Talk to Tom. He's a salesman in their car audio section and is very good to deal with.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by KiaMech@Nov 21 2005, 06:45 AM
I can see you've been there before. Nothing like Car Toys service/installs to make you say "What the ****!" You should see what their alarm installs look like.

Magnolia Hi-Price is good. Talk to Tom. He's a salesman in their car audio section and is very good to deal with.

Yeah, I have never had a good experince there. I always leave feeling a little uneasy.

Is Tom tall with dark blond/light brown hair wearing a suit? We went there yesterday to swap our dash kits because the one we bought was missing a piece. The guy who helped us was very nice. I didn't catch his name though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also listen to rock/metal and have a 10" infinity reference sub in a qlogic box behind the rear seat. It does just fine giving the music depth without drowning it out with bass. Some people seem to use their subs for the sole purpose of trying to vibrate the license plate off the back of the car.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Puffnstuff@Nov 21 2005, 01:44 PM
I also listen to rock/metal and have a 10" infinity reference sub in a qlogic box behind the rear seat. It does just fine giving the music depth without drowning it out with bass. Some people seem to use their subs for the sole purpose of trying to vibrate the license plate off the back of the car.
No kidding. My brother has 2 12"s in the back of his Geo Prism and broke the trunk latch from vibrations.

Unfortunalty I haven't been able to hear how my sub sounds in my Sorento becasue I can't seem to find the correct wiring harness to swap decks.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
No, Tom is a medium built black guy. He's about 5'10" or so. He does some adjustment work for me on the side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know if the amplifier under the drivers seat has any fuses?

Are the speakers fused?

My radio comes on, but there is no sound, even since the "oil change
man" took out the battery to change the head light ;-)

I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they are all ok. And the
radio comes on, the CD comes on, the tape come on.. just no
sound..

2002 Kia Optima LX..

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I don't believe any of the Optima LX cars have an amplifier. The EX's do, and it's in the trunk behind the right side trim.

The amplifers are fused, and I believe the amp fuse is in the underhood fuse box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solution

If anyone is still having trouble with first gen Kia optima lx (2001-2002) with getting sound to come out of speakers I have solution.

If you have an amplifier (if you don't know if you do, lift the carpeting on the right side of the trunk and there should be a steel panel with the amp bolted onto it so you'll just see the ports end of it.) then I am assuming that you have already wired up your aftermarket stereo harness to your new deck and it turns on but no sound.

If so, then what you need to do is take the power antenna connection from the aftermarket side (blue wire) and switch the pin over to an unoccupied hole on the bottom row of the plug (there will most likely be two unoccupied holes) and make sure it lines up with the GREEN wire from your stock harness (the one coming out of your dash) which will also be on the bottom row of the stock plug.

The green wire is the wire feeding power to the amp so it will actually turn on on these cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Works!

The problem as you stated is that the power antenna wire from the stereo to the wiring harness was reversed in my plug FROM the radio ( aftermarket metra 70-7301). When you switch the power antenna wire from the radio end to the amp wire on the harness ( with this particular wiring harness) it matches up with the green wire from the dash and the radio works! This was a very tough answer to find Thank you so much.

2002 Kia Optima LX , Aftermarket Radio , No Sound from Speakers, Due to Amp not being activated on dash side.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts