Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my new Sorento for less than a month and the CD changer is OK but I'm a little bummed out that it lacks MP3 playback capability and I'd like a way to interface with my iPod. So, I look on the Crutchfield site to see what's out there. I enter in the details about my Sorento and it says, "You will need to fabricate a mounting kit in order to install your new receiver." Fabricate? That seems a little complicated. Best Buy's site just says that nothing they carry will fit a Sorento.

Does anyone make some sort adapter for a 2005? Has anyone successfully installed an aftermarket stereo in a 2005? What exactly is the problem with the Sorento that makes it virtually impossible to install an aftermarket unit in them?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by jlquinn@Aug 14 2005, 10:54 PM
So, I've had my new Sorento for less than a month and the CD changer is OK but I'm a little bummed out that it lacks MP3 playback capability and I'd like a way to interface with my iPod.
Let me know what Model you get..casue these are the exact reasons I want to swap out the changer..AUX imputs and MP3 ... **** I would just like the AUX inputs to run my Ipod .. Kill 2 birds with one stone...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a clarion deck in mine (6 disc was shitty) and sirius satalite, and the stereo shop was even able to get my steering wheel buttons to work (from what i gather its all parts from the 2003 ) so the dash kit and swi for a 03 works on an 05

·
Registered
56 Posts
jlquinn --

Just wondering also what your stock head unit is. Mine (Sorento CRDi LX manual) came with a decent Jensen unit that supported mp3 playback and iPod interface was as simple as plugging into the auxiliary RCA inputs at the back (and including a ground loop isolator to get ride of electrical noise).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monster/rjpear-

The unit that comes with the EX in the States is a rather plain AM-FM, 6-Disc changer made by Delco. It has no satellite radio capability and I'm not really sure about its pre-out capability or lack thereof. Kind of disappointing considering it's the top of the line offered in the Sorento here.

I'm sort of leaning towards a model from Kenwood that can use the Alpine iPod control module, Sirius-ready, HD Radio ready and MP3/WMA capable. It's model number KDC-MP228. It's about $150 at Best Buy (and, of course an extra $100 for the Alpine iPod interface). I'm not looking to spend a fortune, I just want the extra stuff that the standard unit doesn't have.

I hope I find an installer clever enough to get the steering wheel controls to work. Not that they're that extensive but it would be nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts