Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an Audiovox APS785 remote start system in my car. the porblem is that well..i odnt know what it is..tahst what im trying to fins out. lol The remote locks and starts teh car, but WILL NOT pop teh trunk or unlock the doors. the remote is programmed correctly. I was wonderign if the wirign was bad or if the "brain" was bad. when i poress unlock the car beeps but doesnt do the physical action. from what iv been told we have a 5 wire locking circut. and if wiring was bad then the car wouldnt lock when i used teh remote. anyone please help. I want to kno if i just need to buy a new brain which ican..or if i need to get it rewired(which would cost $$ and basically id get a new system) i dotn want it to be choice 2. lol.. so any helpo would be thankful. thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Assuming the unlock button works in the car...

If it was installed with the five-wire method, then the installed used a relay. It's possible the this relay went bad. If you look under the dash you should see two relays that don't look like they were there from the factory. One is for lock and the other is for unlock. If you hold them while your pressing the alarm remote, you will feel one "click" for lock and the other should click for unlock. Relays are usually black (sometimes grey) and are about 1"x1"x1" in size.

If this isn't your problem, then it could be a brain problem or a wiring problem. It's impossible to explain how to check it without knowing what the wires from the alarm go to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol..what do relays looklike.. i see 2 loose wires a green one and another one..i orget what color.. BUT they have this type of cap..like somehtign could plug INTO them.. but there arnt any other wires.. all the wires seem tightly connected to the brain tho. so..it is possibel for the car to lock but not unlock with the 5 wire circut? i thought itwas the same wires for everything.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Relays look like little 1"x1"x1" black boxes. Follow the wires from the alarm brain if you're having trouble locating them. The wires are in a separate white connector and the colors are red, green, and red-black stripe. The red-black stripe doesn't need to be hooked up to anything. The green wire is the unlock wire, and should pulse to ground when you hit the unlock button. Since you said you have a green wire that isn't hooked up to anything, this could be your wire. Follow the red one and see where it connects to a relay or the car harness. I didn't have to use the 5-wire system in my '03, so maybe you aren't either.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dunno. a shop in florida said iw as using a 5 wire circut. tehy showed me teh diagram of the iring..but mayeb taht was wrong. I looked ta my brain where the locks - unlocks wires are..and there are only 3 i htink. if its 3 wires..i still od what u say and look around and see where it goes?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i went to look. i didnt see anything..its tight in there..but i thin the green wire that is for unlcoking is NOT pluggedinto anythign..i held it but i dont feel a "click" or naythign ..but tis teh same color as the wire from the brain..( all the wires are like heatshrinked together to keep it all nice a clean) and the other wire that is not connected to anything is a dark green w/ black .. coudl that be the wire for the trunk? where are these wires supposed to connect to? do you have aim? or msn? mayeb we can talk on there oneday..to make it easier. Aim- NYRngrs24
MSN - [email protected]

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I only have comcast, no messaging. The only click you would feel is in the relay if it had one, not the wire. The green wire does need to be hooked up for your unlock to work. Did you try to trace the red wire beside it? They should connect fairly close together, but not at the exact same place. With a little luck you'll be able to see where the green one came from. There are quite a few different ways to tap into the door locks, so I really can't tell you what color wire to look for. Plus, we're still not sure if it is using the 5-wire system.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ooo..the 5 wire system... i thought 5 wires would come from the brain.hmm.. ill try tracing the red wire to see. is it different for each model of remote start or is it the car that decides if a 3 or 5 wire is needed? thasnk for your help so far

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also..wouldit maybe tap into the lock control on the drivers door? or somewhere else? if its the door. is teh side panel easy to get off?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The car decides which door lock system to use. The 5-wire gets it's name because there are 5-wires that need to be connected to 5 different places. The door lock wires probably DO NOT go into your door. There are several places to get these wires under the dash, that's why you need to follow the red wire to see where it connects, then tell me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok ill do that today..and ill try to take a picture of the 2 wires that arnt connected to anything. i really appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was looking..i couldnt really follow the redwire casue it was hard to follow. its so tight in there. it goes up is all i know..i cant really fit my hand up much further than i can see. here are some pics if they help u.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
In pic 3 there is a red "t-tap" connected to a white wire. It is on the far left of the picture. Can you take another picture of that?

That red "t-tap" should have something plugged into it, but I can't tell if it's connected to the alarm or the car. Don't plug anything into it yet.

Pictures make this a lot easier; good idea.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I did a little more research because I forgot that your trunk doesn't pop either. The loose green with black stripe does not operate your trunk, and it probably doesn't go to anything. It is for channel four and your trunk is on channel 3. The channel 3 wire is dark blue, so that is another wire that you can trace.

If it helps, the red (lock) wire is the only thin red wire that isn't connected to another alarm part. All other thin red wires go to either the LED, shock sensor, or antenna, so this is the only one that will hook up to the cars wiring. There is one thick red wire that goes to the ignition or something, but you will be able to tell the difference.

We're still unsure if you have the 5-wire hook up, so it's pretty imortant to find where the red wire goes so we know for sure. I don't know why I tried to explain what a relay looks like, I should have just told you to look in the fuse box under the hood to see one. I think all of the relays in there are grey, but the alarm related ones will almost certainly be black.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That red "t-tap" should have something plugged into it, but I can't tell if it's connected to the alarm or the car. Don't plug anything into it yet.

>where all those red wires go? that was built into the car..like screwed on..thats >not the brain of the alarm. but i can ge ta nother pic of it

I did a little more research because I forgot that your trunk doesn't pop either. The loose green with black stripe does not operate your trunk, and it probably doesn't go to anything. It is for channel four and your trunk is on channel 3. The channel 3 wire is dark blue, so that is another wire that you can trace.

>actually it is channel 4. the previous owners installed the glass windo release as >the option button..morons. lol..but i gtotta deal..cause im not gonan rewire the >relay to the trunk or sanythign. lol

I kno the red wire is the lock thanks to you. its just hard to follow it. its so tight inthere wither wires as you can see. i kno the thick red wire you are talking about. the unlock and trunk release..the caps look liek they just plug in right? is there an easy way to egt up in that area? i wanted tot ake off the big plastic piece under the sterring wheel but couldnt figure out how.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The red "t-tap" is clipped onto a white wire in picture 3. You're saying one of the red wires is hooked to it?

If your trunk was on channel 4, then the other disconnected wire is also supposed to be connected to something. So now you have two things to look for.

Yes, the connectors on the ends of each of the disconected wires do just plug in. They plug into the red "t-taps". That's why I need to know what the one t-tap in pic 3 is connected to. I think that is your unlock wire, but we have to make sure first.

You should take off that panel under the steering column, it will make your life a whole lot easier. On the dash end, there is a panel. The easiest way to remove it is with a 90-degree pick. Not everyone has a 90-degree pick, but if you can find something (maybe a piece of string) you can put it through the closest hole and just pull towards the door. Since it has been removed once before it should come right off. There are 2 or 3 screws behind this panel. There are also a few screws on the bottom of the lower dash panel that have to come out and a few screws that hold the hood release lever. Pull the lever to get to the two screws, then push the lever forward (towards the front of the car) and it will slide right off. The toughest part of this job is pulling out the piece that holds the dimmer and 4x4 knob. I usually push it out from the back by wiggling the switch connectors until it pops off. There is another screw behind this. After that, grab the panel and gently work it towards you. There are clips that hold it in. Use a small screwdriver covered in tape (I use a plastic stick to prevent dash damage)and start prying at the top, closest to you, and work towards the passenger side. It should pop right off. Behind the panel there is a steel panel that is held on with some 10mm nuts and bolts. All of your wires should be a whole lot easier to see.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
seems..kinda hard. but i think il can figure it out. i wish kia didnt charteg for the manuel they had online. seeign a pic of all the screws and such would prob help. ill have to do this on mondy. and then ill try to take some pics. thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KiaMech - I LOVE YOU. i fixed it! thanks to ur help! im so happy now! is it taht easy to pick what u want what to do? or do u install those taps on the wires? cauise if its just that easy i would want the optoon button to control my windows. i dont think tis that easy tho.. thanks again!

also

http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/installation/1285884_IM.pdf

I want to change my beep output to Horn and The siern.. im a little confused on how to get to that mode.. (i linked u to teh drections) im assuming you keep pressign the valet button 6 times untile you get to the mode? (programming is near the end of the manuel)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts